Author Topic: Hello from the Isle of Man  (Read 275 times)

Offline IomMan

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
  • Ex Racer too big for 250 Two strokes
Hello from the Isle of Man
« on: April 05, 2021, 06:22:52 PM »
Well as its a freezing cold Easter Monday I had a notion, for some reason, to find out if my old RD250 is still alive and kicking which led me to here.
I have posted up my old bike on the lost bikes section, apparently it was registered up with DVLA up to a few years ago, I hope it is being looked after in someones garage.

I have been riding since I was fizzy age then got my first RD250E which was crashed a couple of times so I decided to go racing, far less to hit I thought.
I started on 250LC's then got a TZR250 but at 6'2" and struggling to stay below 12 1/2 Stone went to the dark side and raced 4 strokes, FZ, OW01, YZF750sp, plus a load of other marques and models. I mainly did the Manx Grand Prix but also did quite a few S100 and a couple of NW200, plus a smattering of other races and have double digit amount of Manx replicas.
Now, I have retired from racing so took my bike test and try to ride sensibly on the road, mainly on my last race bike a Kawasaki ZX6RR but its not easy. I have another TZR250 I bought a couple of years ago that is being sorted out (Slowly as I have been so busy at work) and have just aquired a Honda NSR250SP which I was fortunate to win in a raffle!
Yes it can happen!  I would love to get another RD but just at the moment space is a premium so until that issue is solved I will not be adding anything to my collection.
Current Bikes
ZX6RR
TZR250 2MA
Honda NSR250 SP

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
Re: Hello from the Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 07:03:58 PM »
Hello.

We do have a few members in the IoM and a few make the pilgramige over to the TT and the Manx. I was at Manx the last time racing was held in 2019.

I am presently telling the story in the club mag of Mike Kelly who raced Nortons in the MGP from 1958 to 1964 then he was traveling marshal and course car driver for awhile.

You must have a few stories to tell.........

--  Articles always needed

Offline IomMan

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
Yes I probably would to those that are interested.
I don't recall Mike Kelly, possibly a bit before my time, I know where he lived well enough and I think a later Chief Travelling Marshall  Kipper Killip lived in the same row of houses but I might be mistaken.
Hopefully next year will be the year we get some racing back on, we need to build it all up again as I think there is going to be a missing generation of both racers and spectators.
Current Bikes
ZX6RR
TZR250 2MA
Honda NSR250 SP

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »
Actually - As part of the story I have a photo of the traveling marshals of 1966 and Mike Kelly is sat next to Alan "Kipper" Killip.

The TT and Manx has reached a turning point - One of the club members is on the MGP committee and he told me the manx government would rather the classic festival was all that happened and MGP was stopped.

Also times are changing - all this electric stuff. Sooner or later some of the big jap manufacturers will stop investing in petrol engines. The whole TT could end up a classic event in say 10 or 20 years.
I was suprised how quiet the classic and Manx weeks were. Too many old funnies and not enough youngsters there

Think the organisers need to do some serious thinking about the future
 --  Articles always needed

Offline IomMan

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
You have kind of summed it all quite well there, I am a big supporter of the MGP and thoroughly enjoyed my years competing in it.
It was never going to be the TT, it definitely had its own atmosphere and when I was doing it Senior Manx day was pretty on par with TT as far as crowds were concerned, many opted to pop over for a few days at the end of the week to see the big race which boulstered the numbers up really well. The island was buzzing too especially the pubs
The MGP really was a very good second best of the Manx motorsport calender, but for some reason the Government always had an adgenda to squeeze out the MMC and claim the event for themselves. It took a few years and a few dirty strokes but eventually they did it and are now using the "Classic TT" as a bloody great stick to beat the MGP with!
There really was nothing wrong the MGP format, it was for amatuer riders of both modern and classic bikes to go out and have their time in the sun, a race where we could be the stars for a very short time, now the MGP riders are treated as very much the poor relations. They of course already know what they are but now they reminded of it on a daily basis and are kicked to the sidelines whilst the "real" TT Stars have their jolly, riding for free on other peoples bikes hogging the limeliight. Whilst the MGP competitor  shell out about £700 per race in entrance money, pay their own digs, ferry and running costs and get bumped on every practice session because the Classic TT riders are only here for the weekend and they HAVE to be able to race. And if a MGP race is cancelled, what do the competitors get back .....Naff all.

The Classic TT is a bit of a sham of a race too, when did an FJ1200 engine in a Harris frame ever be considered as a classic bike, not to mention ZXR850's!
Most of the genuine classic bike racers who compete week in week out have jacked it in because where as before they had a chance of a decent result, now, they haven't got cat in hells chance against the "brand new" classic bikes being entered by the entrants who can buy themselves a race win.

As for the future of the TT, well there needs to be some serious thought into what path they choose over the next decade, in the meantime they need to treat the fans really well to thank them for their support and get the ball rolling again. As I said there is a nearly generation lost and they need to send people home very happy so that they sell it on to their friends and get some fresh supporters coming over.
Current Bikes
ZX6RR
TZR250 2MA
Honda NSR250 SP

Offline Aardvark

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
Welcome IomMan

You have some lovely two-stroke 250's. I will be looking for a TZR250 in the near future, all the 250' from that era are lovely bikes.

Interesting reading yours and Dels thought on the racing for the TT & Manx. Me and the wife plus my son go every year to the TT (when we can) the manx is not the same for me now, having done it a few times and some of my friends also having raced at it. They have also made it very hard for new riders to go over to the island and race at the manx.

We last attended the Manx in 2015 and the way they squashed the Manx riders practice and racing was very disappointing.

Roll on 2022, but I can see the TT coarse being fully restricted by the time we return next year. Nothing better than getting up very early and go over the mountain. Lots of good memories.

All the best

Aardvark

Offline IomMan

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
Re TZR250 my advice is buy as soon as you can as they are creeping up rather rapidly.

I think that my thoughts and your experience of racing at the Manx sort of confirm what is happenning, be assurred, there are a lot of people here trying to fight the MGP's corner but the Government have their adgenda and seem to be sticking to it. I really don't think they will rest until they have completely ruined it.

Couse restrictions have been nibbled away at for the 20 or so years I have been here but I think a run over the mountain is safe for a good few years yet.
Personally. I don't go near the Mountain TT week. its a matter of when, not if, someone runs out of talent and god help you if you are in the vicinity.

Hope to see you in 2022, keep in touch and I hope you like a beer.
Current Bikes
ZX6RR
TZR250 2MA
Honda NSR250 SP