Author Topic: DOCUMENTATION  (Read 275 times)

Offline Robin Neve

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
DOCUMENTATION
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
Hi all,
I hope that someone can help me!
At the end of last year I bought a project 250D from a chap who had it in his shed for more than 30 years unused. He had bought it from someone in York but over the subsequent years had lost all the paperwork and the registration number.
The bike is matching numbers and my plan is to restore and add it to the list of bikes saved, therefore I need a V5, but my efforts to find out the registration through the DVLA website with the frame and engine number proved fruitless. Paul promptly issued a Dating Cert, September 1977, and my V55 was duly dispatched to the DVLA.
Yesterday I received a rejection from the DVLA telling me they couldn't process as I hadn't completed a NOVA, but I don't think it needs one as the only time it was imported is from Japan around 1977! i did speak to them earlier today but needless to say they have a process and there can be no variation.
Has anyone recently gone through the same process for a bike that has been laid up and lost papers and number, and how does the NOVA process work and how much does it cost, and is there an easier alternative, please?
Looking forward with interest. R

Online zed1015

• Newcomer
Re: DOCUMENTATION
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
A NOVA is for recently imported vehicles and shouldn't apply to your bike.
Try getting a HPI check on the frame number and if it's recognised it should come up with the Reg number.
And here's a link to a thread on another forum that dealt with the same missing reg number problem and got a result.
https://www.bmbikes.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27150

Online Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »
Robin, I have sent you pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RD400c now on the road
RD250b/c/d/e/f project
FS1E project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3
CRF-250L

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »

It is worth while spending a while reading through previous topics as I'm sure this has been covered before. The frame/engine number doesn't work as different dealers treated the way they recorded the numbers differently.
I think previously people have gone through the NOVA process, but I'm sure you will find this out when you go through the topics
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Robin Neve

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
Thanks all for your help and comments.
While NOVA sounds daft as it isn't an import, it seems like that's the process, I have tried the various check methods to get the registration from the frame number with no success, Paul tried too with no joy.
So NOVA it is, I'll let you know how I get on.
Hopefully won't take too long as I can't wait to crack on with the rest! R

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »
While NOVA is a modern form (From 15 April 2013) of proving VAT & import taxes have been paid, there were earlier forms like C&E 389 going back since before the RD's were around.
The DVLA are following the requirements of HMRC. If you had the reg, then that demonstrates that duties were paid upon the bike when it originally came from Japan. If you had one of the earlier forms you have to go to HMRC to update to NOVA.
No reg then you need NOVA.  :(
Go to this thread
https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=58601.0
read reply number 6 for contact details.
On Monday ring HMRC and discuss with them before doing anything else. They are quite helpful and have seen this situation before. Do not try to do the NOVA online without talking to them. They won't ask for your details, to be able to give you advise. Maybe your name to be polite.
Further do not work or improve the bike. If the worst happens, duties will be calculated upon its value when you bought the bike  ;) Trust you've still got the sales receipt  ???
Don't panic Captain Mannering. You'll get there in end.
-Mike
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:37:20 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline Robin Neve

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:15:46 PM »
Thanks very much for the help, I'll call HMRC on Monday and hope I can progress the NOVA and then back to V55.
I had heard one or two sorry tales, and especially one from a friend into his Classis mopeds, Autocycles etc, where club member did a full rest on a bike and then decided to sort the paperwork and was turned down by the DVLA. At best left him with a fully assembled pile of restored parts!
I have now taken it all apart for ease of storage until I have sorted a V5.
Cheers, and "don't tell him your name Mike"!
I'll keep you all posted ready for the next enquiry. R

Offline Robin Neve

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 08:20:19 PM »
Dear all, a quick update following the messages last week. I gathered all my info and called HMRC today and explained the position and the chap said 'oh, like a barn find' yes exactly I said, although it isn't because I paid money and there is no doubt around ownership.
So I was emailed a NOVA form to print, complete and send back, don't email he said. And include a letter explaining why I have no docs, don't know the reg and it is not possible to find the original importer to prove that duty had been paid. They will review and they are currently replying in around 10 days.
So just a case of waiting now.
Don't miss the next instalment! R

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 04:35:12 AM »
That sounds a positive start, fingers crossed you can get this resolved

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:30 AM »
Sounds exactly what they explained to me Robin.
When they reply to you, I did get an email as well as them sending the nova reference number through the post.
It’s a long winded journey, but it’s worth it.
I kept copies of the forms I completed, so let us know if you are unsure at any point.

Regards
Colin

RD400c now on the road
RD250b/c/d/e/f project
FS1E project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3
CRF-250L

Offline Robin Neve

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:27:43 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'll keep you posted.
And I have kept copies of all, always do, you never know what might go missing or get lost! R