Author Topic: Black number plates on historic vehicles.  (Read 885 times)

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
Black number plates on historic vehicles.
« on: December 13, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
FYI.
The DVLA have announced changes concerning information on black and silver number plates which will take effect from 1 January 2021.
The changes being introduced on 1 January 2021 will affect the ability of vehicles registered in the historic tax class to display the old style pre-1973 black and silver number plates.
Following the change in definition of a historic vehicle for vehicle tax exemption purposes in 2015, an issue was identified in the regulatory requirements for the valid display of a black and silver number plate. This resulted in an unintended consequence where any vehicle over 40 years old and registered in the historic tax class would be permitted to display an old style black and silver number plate. This was despite the law previously requiring all vehicles first registered after 1 January 1973 to only display the yellow and white number plates with black characters.
As this was never the intention, DVLA have sought to rectify this through a legal correction which will shortly be implemented. The change seeks to prevent any vehicle constructed after 1 January 1980 from the ability to display the black and silver number plate despite being recorded in the DVLA’s historic tax class. Those vehicles with a construction date prior to 1 January 1980 will continue to be able to legally display black and silver number plates to avoid any undue costs of replacement.
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Black number plates on historic vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
Thanks Paul.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »

Thank you for highlighting this Paul
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline shaunthe2nd

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • New member - be gentle!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:11:22 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
It didn't sit right with me that bikes after 1973 could display the black/silver plate, its not an original look.
RD350LC - RD250LC - RD200DX

Offline CBM

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 06:45:38 AM »
It didn't sit right with me that bikes after 1973 could display the black/silver plate, its not an original look.
Yup, doesn't look right to me either.

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »

I agree, should be related to the plates they would have had.  However, typical fudge, seems they are basically letting any pre 1980 date of reg still wear the black and silver.  :-\

Cheers

5port
5port

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »
Even with a screw up, retrospective law is normally avoided at all costs..
Essentially they are stopping the situation for the future.

I experimented with black plate (on my silver dust) but also finally concluded still looks better with yellow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:27:05 PM by betty foRD »
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »

I experimented with black plate (on my silver dust) but also finally concluded still looks better with yellow.

Yes, but it doesn't look like it stops the issue for any pre '80 vehicle that gets a "new" age related historic reg or, any pre '80 vehicle on a historic registration.  It seems I could put my historic registered T reg bikes on black plates.  Stoopid

5port 
5port

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 09:10:05 AM »

I agree to my aging brain it just "looks wrong". I appreciate the only reason it looks wrong is due to me owning and riding bikes in the 70s and 80s with yellow plates.
I presume the grey beards feel the same if some yob sticks a yellow plate on a 1953 Rudge Witworth

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »

Yes, but it doesn't look like it stops the issue for any pre '80 vehicle that gets a "new" age related historic reg or, any pre '80 vehicle on a historic registration.  It seems I could put my historic registered T reg bikes on black plates.  Stoopid

5port

Correct, now the horse has bolted, there’s no easy or low cost way to ensure new age related vehicles 70-80, are not allowed to use black....

But I think the majority will share our view, 70’s bikes look better as they were! There maybe the odd exception but that’s it.

As said making good legislation in the first place is key objective, retrospective legislation has to have a really good cost /benefit argument in order to justify implementation.
At the end of the day it’s just a handful of bikes were are talking about.
Anyway, the modern law about plate design...all driven by ANPR needs isn’t about black or yellow. It still remains legal to use original Yellow plates, even if they don’t conform to modern standards.

Stupid mistake, but a storm in a tea cup that needs the proposed simple solution as a low cost solution.

Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
can anpr thing read silver on black, just curious  ::)

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 10:37:19 PM »
Yes it can as I found out. The only thing ANPR can't read properly are illegal fonts and incorrect spacing, and very small number plates apparently...

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 12:23:29 PM »
Yes it can as I found out. The only thing ANPR can't read properly are illegal fonts and incorrect spacing, and very small number plates apparently...
thanks for that  :D

Offline niceonept

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
  • Current bikes: RD350B, GT750A & A50P
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Talking of plates, can anyone recommend someone who can make up pressed steel reflective plates with the old pre-2001 font, as used in the 70s?
Pete in the New Forest.
Current bikes GT750, RD350 & AP50.
Previous bikes YR5 (x2), KH250, GT185, DT250, AP50 & YDS7.