Author Topic: ultrasonic cleaning.  (Read 547 times)

Offline martin1957

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
ultrasonic cleaning.
« on: December 06, 2020, 08:32:36 PM »
I have a small ultrasonic cleaner, 1.3litre. 60Watt ultrasonic. I have used it with some success on carb parts at 50 degrees C and with a few drops of washing up liquid.

I am not that impressed and do not get the results you see from things professionally cleaned.

Is it worth using the proper cleaning fluids in it, and the specific carb cleaning fluids? Will they come out shiney?

Sometimes there are a few bits of dirt come out. It is working as it punches holes in aluminium foil when you test it.

Or is it too small and just a waste of time?

Anyone got of these, or use a cleaner at home?
Retired Widowed Electronic Test Engineer (Avionics), Age 63, Owned P50, PC50, SS50z, YAS1, YDS7, RD350B till 1978, then KH400 from 2009 onwards. Have a fully restored YAS1 on the road, and an AT3. And now a Suzuki T125 Stinger to get fired up, with another Stinger in boxes....

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
Re: ultrasonic cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
things dont come out shiny generally I have a 10/15 .litre one i bought off Dave at TSR vapour blasting when he decided it was not big enough for his jobs,  and it definetly shifts muck out out of carbs but shiney takes vapour blasting , if you want em shiny then https://www.tsrvapourblasting.co.uk/ is Dave
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around

Offline zed1015

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:17 PM »
You are best just using plain hot water for the ultrasonic cleaning as it's the cavitation that does the actual job of shifting muck and not any fancy fluids.
The cleaner isn't a one stop shop for the whole cleaning method and should really only be used as a final part of a series of cleaning processes that start with the usual physical removal of accessible external grime and the normal degreasing with solvent etc.
If the ultrasonic is the only method used you won't get a satisfactory finish as any "soft" surfaces such as oil and grease etc on the component won't be removed as they absorb and dampen the effects of the ultrasonic.
As for getting a flawless shiny finish you may have to turn to vapour or soda blasting.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »
Distilled water and just a few drops of soap to lower the surface tension. And time. How long are you leaving them in? The Harbor Freight units don't run long enough, and really only have enough power to clean the body by itself. Anything other than water needs to be in a separate container setting down in the water. I've used other solvents, but really they can usually be just used for soaking. Of course, heating the water helps it work faster. I have tried boiling the carbs for 20 minutes. Takes a lot of heat to get all of that up to boiling. Worked, but I prefered US. I normally run a single body for at least a half hour. CB750 bodies took several hoyrs, but were awful to start.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"