Author Topic: RD/TZ Gearbox and Clutch lubrication  (Read 1377 times)

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD/TZ Gearbox and Clutch lubrication
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
LC is easier than the RD because in the first instance the star mod is the easiest solution....not a cure to the root cause but an easy fix. Star is obviously accessible and removable without splitting the cases. And forget the different roller...that’s just smoke and mirrors by those selling ‘kit’ . Just make the points less aggressive and it instantly drops the lever pressure required to rotate the selector. Root cause resolution really just requires going through whole box and clutch ...worn dogs don’t help, rough clutch basket surfaces resist plate moving etc.

LC is also a bit short on selector arm travel, especially when the mechanism is worn...bit if a file in that helps too.

On Aircooled, all the same things apply just the star mod is less attractive due to accessibility..

Think you have an LC so I’d go for the star mod every time....there’s a good banshee youtube on it. Also reality is if you just want easier neutral...you only need to do two points...not all.

Personally I think AC RDs suffer as much....just their owners put up with it more....’they are all like it’ and we just got used to sitting at the lights with the clutch in etc etc.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline ajh

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • theres always something bloody leaking!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
LC is easier than the RD because in the first instance the star mod is the easiest solution....not a cure to the root cause but an easy fix. Star is obviously accessible and removable without splitting the cases. And forget the different roller...that’s just smoke and mirrors by those selling ‘kit’ . Just make the points less aggressive and it instantly drops the lever pressure required to rotate the selector. Root cause resolution really just requires going through whole box and clutch ...worn dogs don’t help, rough clutch basket surfaces resist plate moving etc.

LC is also a bit short on selector arm travel, especially when the mechanism is worn...bit if a file in that helps too.

On Aircooled, all the same things apply just the star mod is less attractive due to accessibility..

Think you have an LC so I’d go for the star mod every time....there’s a good banshee youtube on it. Also reality is if you just want easier neutral...you only need to do two points...not all.

Personally I think AC RDs suffer as much....just their owners put up with it more....’they are all like it’ and we just got used to sitting at the lights with the clutch in etc etc.

Thanks mate, I was going to try GL4 oil but my concern was how this might effect the wet clutch? Gotta have the LC cover off soon anyway to change oil pump & pinion so planned to check the selector mechanism & clutch and now with what you said may do a quick mod on the neutral star position.
Conversely, my AC is really smooth/slick changes and no problem geting nuetral
in Chiswick, West London

77 RD250d, 80 DT175mx, 81 4L0 350LC

Online tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
I also noticed that the clearance in the clutch center bearing is very much affecting the clutch drag. The clearance is smaller when the engine is cold so drag increases with temperature for the bearing too.
I had a barely noticeable clearance in the clutch center bushing. After modifying to needle bearing, clearance is no longer noticeable and clutch drag is gone. Oil before and after is from the same container. I replaced the clutch basket in the process too but I do not think a worn clutch basket makes any difference for clutch drag with cold or warm engine.

Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE