Author Topic: RD/TZ Disc Pads  (Read 295 times)

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
RD/TZ Disc Pads
« on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
Hi Guys,
As most will know, the earlier TZ's and RD's used the twin 48mm dia two piston iron caliper.  It seems like the available brake pads are the road  GG type that is organic material and works well, available between about £10 and £30 ish.  Does anyone know of a sintered pad for the 48mm iron caliper?  DTR has sintered EBC ones for £67 a pair but, they are for the late 50mm TZ Alloy caliper.
What are racers with the early 48mm iron Yamaha caliper using and, who supplies them?  Cheers

5port
5port

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD/TZ Disc Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
Hi Guys,  Well, I have done a bit of searching about.  It does seem that there is less (racing) choice now for the old RD/TZ caliper.  Of course, there is no doubt that a modern lightweight floating disc and a good multi piston caliper can offer great braking.  However, I am sticking to my early RD/TZ parts as far as possible so, no intention to change the caliper/disc. 
You might find some old racing pads out there.  Maybe some old Ferodo or gen Yamaha TZ pads NOS.  Also, looks like there is a Sumitomo version for the TZ.  It is hard to find info about these old pads, even if you find someone advertising some.
One thing to remember, is that older type pads may have asbestos in them and, they will definitely be poor until fully heated, if they are old Road Racing pads.  Even some modern Racing brake pads caution that they need warming-up.
 However, I have looked at other pads and I think I have found a good option.  There is a brake pads review on the old TZ Forum.  The guys there were very complimentary about the SBS 504HF Ceramic pads.  These are a road pad that work well from cold.  They thing is, they got a good review for racing on a TZ750!  opinion was, good from cold, good braking, didn't fade, kind on discs and lasted well!  Remember, this is on a racing TZ using the same iron caliper.  So, I think these sound a fair bet.
Oh Yes, £24 inc 1st class signed-for.  :)
Cheers

5port     
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:28:38 PM by 5port »
5port

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
Sounds good AND a good price  8)
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:28:46 PM »
Sounds good AND a good price  8)

Hi Richard!

Yes, I think so!  :)

5port
5port

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
Well, the power of speaking to a human!
SBS 504DCC are a modern "double carbon" Racing pad that fits the '70's TZ/RD caliper.  You can see them on the SBS online catalogue.  They promise a good racing performance.  Unfortunately, they are difficult to get.  So, I spoke to the guys at Demon Tweaks who stock SBS stuff but don't list the 504DCC online.  Result!  They are getting them in special for me at about £36 a set.  Thanks Demon Tweeks!

5port 
5port

Online german

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:23:57 PM »
Well, the power of speaking to a human!
SBS 504DCC are a modern "double carbon" Racing pad that fits the '70's TZ/RD caliper.  You can see them on the SBS online catalogue.  They promise a good racing performance.  Unfortunately, they are difficult to get.  So, I spoke to the guys at Demon Tweaks who stock SBS stuff but don't list the 504DCC online.  Result!  They are getting them in special for me at about £36 a set.  Thanks Demon Tweeks!

5port

Chris,
that's a good price for the pads. I just googeled a bit and they cost around 49€-56€ here in mainland europe. But to my surprise the guy who sells race parts at our race meetings has them in stock. So a no brainer for me where I will buy them if I need them. But near all my TZ/RD race bikes have all other calipers fitted anyway. Only my first RD race bike has still the genuine caliper. And this bike needs a restoration, it is fairly tired.
Regards
Classic Racers do not hide the ashes, they keep the fire burning
Yamaha DS7, RD250, RD400, Yapol TZ250B, Daspa TZ350, FZ750/1000, Honda RS125, Jackson Special 250, Höpfner-TD3, Hejira PE250, Broadstock F350 Sidecar