Author Topic: Tony2strokes 250LC project  (Read 421 times)

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Tony2strokes 250LC project
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 09:49:15 PM »
I think that belts need a larger radius drive than the case could handle, but might work.

Well, its tweaked my brain, can't help but wonder about it now, the Kawasaki 305 had similar performance and used a belt drive, plenty of research to do on it now  ;D you never know, may be worth a go, belts are not cheap though and not available for that bike anymore, did also look at Yamaha virago but same problem, you can get them made, but again pricey, I will keep looking in to it though, another thing to keep me busy.
Kevlar belts are available in all different sizes. Pretty standard in industry.

Kevlar belts aye!! should be stronger too, thanks for that.

Offline Bluehaze

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
You probably need to remove the swing arm to install a belt.
Some guarding from pebbles etc getting into the cogs could prevent a mishap - and that adds some weight.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:59 PM »
You probably need to remove the swing arm to install a belt.
Some guarding from pebbles etc getting into the cogs could prevent a mishap - and that adds some weight.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was I thinking of, how the hell would I be able to get the belt through the swingarm, I would have to cut it, what a plonka I am, didn't think of that.

Thanks mate, you saved me a lot of wasted time researching it.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:42 AM »
Depending on your performance goals, you might still keep it in mind. Belt changes are not that frequent, and a lot of major manufactures are using them now. Yes, there are details to iron out, but rotating weight is drastically reduced. Getting good at removing/replacing a swing arm doesn't sound like much. No chain lube, but there is a bit of belt dust.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »
Depending on your performance goals, you might still keep it in mind. Belt changes are not that frequent, and a lot of major manufactures are using them now. Yes, there are details to iron out, but rotating weight is drastically reduced. Getting good at removing/replacing a swing arm doesn't sound like much. No chain lube, but there is a bit of belt dust.

I was well up for the idea, until the swingarm was mentioned, due to the design of it, it would have to be cut and welded to thread the belt through it, and every time it needed changing, no other way round it.

Offline ajh

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • theres always something bloody leaking!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »

I was well up for the idea, until the swingarm was mentioned, due to the design of it, it would have to be cut and welded to thread the belt through it, and every time it needed changing, no other way round it.

Maybe a belt buckle?  :)
in Chiswick, West London

77 RD250d, 80 DT175mx, 81 4L0 350LC

Offline Bluehaze

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
OK on Veteran bikes' V belts in their day, but for toothed belts no way.