Author Topic: Pre production RD350  (Read 1187 times)

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Pre production RD350
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
Would like to see more pictures of the head as that really looks like a prototype B head. Defo not a production one.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline Chrispy

• Newcomer
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
Here are some more pictures Of the head. I can't think of any more angles to take it from?

It definitely looks very different from the 250 one I have in Aus. Like I say the original vin number points to a RX350 PRO (on one of the lists) which was Japanese domestic market only and the lower triple clamp cover looks like it's from a YR 5

It's certainly a parts bin mixture.

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
We know exactly what the bike is, that’s not in doubt.
One of the preproduction 350Bs, 521 model.

Our interest is to see what parts on it are prototypes and what variation they have from the production version.
The head appears to be the most interesting thing (to me anyway)

The pic from the top was the one I wanted so thanks for that.

Do you have any questions or specific things you are curious about?
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline Chrispy

• Newcomer
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »
Thanks, not at the moment. The clutch is going in and the engine is getting close to being closed up.

The carbs are well on their way. I'm sure there will be some questions when it's starts and getting it running nicely.

I need to write to the second owner after Yamaha Austria to confirm the original colour when he bought it. The possibly Yamaha France to see if they have any information.

I was lucky enough to be taken around their headquarters in Paris about 4 years ago. it used to be Sonauto Yamaha that fabricated the original Dakar winning bikes. I turned up and asked if I could see the bikes and they said no it's private! I think they felt sorry when I said I had come from Australia to see them  :D 

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
Would like to see more pictures of the head as that really looks like a prototype B head. Defo not a production one.

Yes, definitely right.  You can see the head is chunkier and not as accurate as the production parts.  Don't think it is a recut TD3/TR3 casting either.  Surprised that the gbox and carbs look to be the earlier RD350A parts.  However,  I guess that those were late additions from the RD400C future planning that were added to the 521/522 production plan at a late stage.  Cheers

5port 
5port

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »
Guessing it would be a (Rough and ready) gravity die casting (cheap tooling) as opposed to pressure die-casting (used for production) and then dome machined to suit. Presumably after some experimentation.
Rev 'em till they rattle