Author Topic: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)  (Read 3305 times)

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2020, 12:13:53 PM »
I would put the wiring loom, rear plastic mudguard, switch gear, coil packs, brake pipes, battery box, relay panel, the engine can go in quite late.
The mudguard - is it tricky to get in later? Hadn't thought of it. I guess it will come out of the shed along with the air box this morning.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »
Just some randoms:-

1) Make sure that the coating on the handlebars doesn't interfere with the handlebar switches getting their earth (apologies if this has been covered already!).
2) Battery box can be removed/replaced in isolation (I had to do it to replace the block connector for the oil level light). Just remember that the flasher relay hooks on to the underside.
3) I don't think that anything gets in the way of the plastic half of the rear mudguard.
4) If they've been separated for any reason, I would fit the rear light and route the wiring to the metal half of the rear mudguard before fitting this.
5) Re (4) above, fit the rear grab rail to the rear mudguard before fitting the light.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Online Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
The Airbox can be tricky worth fitting early on

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2020, 10:28:15 PM »
Thanks, guys! Today, I washed and mounted the inner mudguard and airbox. Also, the headlight bowl and front indicators. With all of that on, why not poke the wiring loom in and connect all of that? Whew! sure glad I had printed oht the USA color wiring diagram. Also spent time cleaning up the front and rear chrome mudguards. This is not my favorite task. Over the years I've found the most effective way to clean old chrome and remove tge haze of tiny rust "blooms" is a wad of aluminum foil dipped in vinegar.  And I hate the smell of vinegar!  They look nice now though. Not show quality but nothing to embarrass me when pulling up to the Time Warp Tea Room next summer. Got some paint on the three brackets used for mounting the motor, and finished off by mounting the front caliper, master, and brake line. The 800mm line from an Amazon vendor seems to fit just right (eliminating the little pipe). BTW, removing the brass seal in aftermarket calipers is easily done with a drywall screw grabbed with a pair of pliers.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2020, 03:43:39 AM »
Moving forward (hopefully). The lump is mounted as well as the rear mudguard and wiring back to the tail light and signals.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #95 on: Today at 01:16:48 AM »
Exhaust and rear brake installed. They started on our house today. 12x12 foot deck and 4x6 landing, stairs to both all demo'ed. They will be back after the holidays and replace with new. I'll bleed the brakes tomorrow and hook up the battery (supposed to be delivered tomorrow) to see how the electrics look. Later in the week will roll it to the shed to store for the demolition of the garage ceiling.

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #96 on: Today at 08:14:12 AM »
You have certainly been making progress prior to the building work starting

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett