Author Topic: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)  (Read 5820 times)

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »
Don't forget, it didn't happen if there's no pics of it  :)

Also someone may spot something that you need to know about.

Offline GAZZATT2

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
Stripping down the engine. Had to run for a socket for the clutch bolt. Ready to pull the shift cam stopper bolt, but decided it would be best to clean the bottom of the engine of ~1/4" grime first. So, it is setting on its left side with the right cover back on and foaming bathroom cleaner soaking. The socket run and cleaning slowed me down, but there is no rush. Also boxed up some frame parts and took them and the rolling chassis back out to the shed leaving more room for engine work.

I've put in a Facebook Message to one of our club members local that has done a few 2 strokes to see if he knows of a 2 stroke mechanic locally. There is a small engine shop just a couple miles away that appears to be dedicated to lawn equipment, but I thought of asking to see if he has a good bore gauge.

what size lawn mowers engines do you have over there ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:59:47 AM by GAZZATT2 »
XSR900  350lc 400F 400f special 400F project Mate
it did look good in a photo lance ?
Picture026" border="0

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2020, 01:09:25 PM »

what size lawn mowers engines do you have over there ?
All sizes, really. 2 strokes are no longer sold, I believe, but there were many sold in a nearby town (Oak Ridge) and are still serviced. He also works garden tractors to ~20 HP.  I will check with him in the next few days. Not even sure he would go beyond visual inspection on the equipment as much of it is considered disposable these days. (Not my John Deeres - 1980 16 HP Kohler single and 1995 Kawasaki 18 HP V-twin, both 4 stroke.)

Meanwhile, not much to show - dirty bottom of engine with foamy cleaner bubbling on it. I plan to take it outside and hit it with the hose later, then kerosene if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:12:33 PM by pidjones »
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
Ok, all the way apart now. Transmission all looks good. Some sludge in the bottom of the case, but I guess that is expected. Everything feels smooth and shifts smooth. Shift forks look barely worn on contact points, and show no bend.

The case was glued together with some king of grey RTV. There wasn't any in the transmission, but the crankcase had bits of it everywhere. The crank - I have no confidence in it. I have no experience with bearings that spin that fast. Electric motors with grease lubricated bearings, yes. And, these would be rejected then. Seems these should feel tighter, and be silent when I spin the crank with the rods. Instead, there is a constant whir. The outside left main sounds fine the right is noisy, I can't really tell on the centers.

So.... Who are reliable crank rebuilders in the USA? And although this is almost a moot point - about how much does it cost?

Pictures after lunch!

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »
Ok, some ugly photos. It is all now  in boxes with the crank and trans gears in the case halves covered with an old lab coat.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2020, 08:25:15 PM »
Just what we all want to see  :)  I wouldn't trust that crank either, worth the price of a re-build for the piece of mind.

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
Photos are good!   :)
Looking at those, the gearbox looks to have had oil in it until recently, and looks fairly free of rust.  The crank looks good from this side (like the gbox).  However, the engine has been in a damp atmosphere at times.  The crank looks to have some signs of damp.  Unfortunately, damp does get into bearings and other parts.  I would put the gearsets into strong airtight food bags with some fresh engine oil (10W-30 with MA2 rating for wet clutches).  Shifter parts can be stored the same.  Crank goes into a bag with 2T.
Overall, I would expect a full crank overhaul and new gbox bearings due to damp and possible corrosion in bearings.
The gbox debris looks a little heavy?  Try to scoop that out, washout with paraffin and use a strong magnet in it to see how hairy it gets?  Steel debris in gbox is not a good sign.
How many miles?
Cheers 

5port
5port

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
>How many miles?<    I think around 13.8k.

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »
>How many miles?<    I think around 13.8k.

OK,
The gearbox is no different to other similar ones.  The gears need checking for teeth damage or wear, the dogs and cutouts for rounding and wear, the shafts for wear and any sign of blueing or bending (against a straight edge), the selector forks for wear or bending, the selector rails or shafts for straightness (roll them on a good hard flat surface) and the cam drum tracks and pins for wear.

5port 

5port

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
Crank is on its way to Lyn Garland for rebuild. The rest is bagged and boxed for now. New rings here, and checked for ring gap - perfect. Right at the minimum. Ring grooves cleaned with the old rings (were quite tight with build-up of both rust and carbon). Family beach time next week, so I will study manual more.

Offline Numbskull

• Motopsycho
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
Crank is on its way to Lyn Garland for rebuild. The rest is bagged and boxed for now. New rings here, and checked for ring gap - perfect. Right at the minimum. Ring grooves cleaned with the old rings (were quite tight with build-up of both rust and carbon). Family beach time next week, so I will study manual more.

I better start looking for that air cleaner lid then!

Rob
The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »
Time pressures. I told Mr. Garland that if I get the crank back by Christmas, it would be a good Christmas gift. After vacation, the frame will be pulled from the shed, pressure washed, and dismantled for painting. Also the tiny bit of surface rust in the gas tank will be removed, coated, and the tank and other things preped for paint. Autumn is the time for painting in the rain forests of East Tennessee. That, and a couple magic days in December.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2020, 12:16:35 AM »
Email today that my seat hinges and cylinder gauge have arrived. But, I just arrived at the beach. Neighbor picked them up for me. Lots to keep me busy when we get back, but for now sun and sand! Well, not so much sun today, but nice!

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2020, 03:47:43 AM »
Lyn has the crank finished and will be sending it back this week. New development: seat that I ordered from Vietnam came in today! Quickly transfered bumpers and such over to it, then took a ~150 mile ride because the weather is too good to be working on motorcycles. Must be riding them. Took the '06 GL1800 as it hasn't seen much use this summer, and temperature was much better today.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2020, 09:00:22 PM »
Well, this happened today. Also showing the trick for removing the center stand spring easily. Although, that is the one piece that won't budge - the center stand pivot. Presently soaking in penetrant. Discovered on fork spring missing  yeah! Ordered a pair of used ones on ebay. Not looking for fantastic performance so they should be fine. Next comes the degreasing and preparation for paint.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:03:37 PM by pidjones »