Author Topic: RD125A air filter  (Read 596 times)

Offline AndyW

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
RD125A air filter
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
What do people use for an air filter on round tank RD125/200s?

When I removed the original filter from the air box on my RD125A it disintegrated...
I looked around and couldn't find a supplier for a replacement filter.
So I bought some Twin Air foam, wrapped that around the framework from the original filter,
coated it with Twin Air foam oil and it seems to work ok...
I've now fitted some Higgspeed expansion boxes and am about to start on the jetting.
But before I get the jetting done, I thought I'd just check if anyone has a superior solution for the air filters...

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on a better solution?

Cheers
Andy

Offline D Peacock

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD125A air filter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »
If you are chucking a set of chambers on anyway, may as well sack the airbox off and fit foam pods.
For speed add lightness!

GSXR1100 - Big boy’s bike
GSXR400RKSP - Track / Race bike
YR5 - 52bhp - Ported RD barrels, 28mm carbs, Mick Abbey pipes, Powerdynamo with Zeeltronic DC controller, premix, Euro CR 6 speed box.
GT200X5 - Bog standard.

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
What do people use for an air filter on round tank RD125/200s?

When I removed the original filter from the air box on my RD125A it disintegrated...
I looked around and couldn't find a supplier for a replacement filter.
So I bought some Twin Air foam, wrapped that around the framework from the original filter,
coated it with Twin Air foam oil and it seems to work ok...
I've now fitted some Higgspeed expansion boxes and am about to start on the jetting.
But before I get the jetting done, I thought I'd just check if anyone has a superior solution for the air filters...

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on a better solution?

Cheers
Andy

Much the same
My 200A filters suffered like yours in that the foam turned to dust.
I got the repro big filter sheet for a DX from Hi Level. Cut it so it wrapped around the old wire frames with a 1/2" overlap plus an overlap hanging over the sides. Then held in place with a cable tie close to each side. The 1/2" overlap was placed close to the top back corner of the airbox where there is little airflow. Lightly massaged in SAE 10/30 engine oil as per original maintenance spec. When I put them back in the airbox, the overlap on the sides formed nice seal to the inner wall and air box lid, stopping air from short cutting around the filters. The dirt pattern I've seen shows its working fine. The cable ties are easy to cut so you can clean and reuse the foam. Plenty left in the cut sheet to do at least another 3 filters.

I was under impression that the Higgspeeds, did not need much tweaking of the Carbs, as they are not changing performance much to the original. Where as the pods will need plenty of playing with the carbs.

I'm about to decide whether to get a set of Higgspeeds. Presume you reuse your downpipes and a clamp is provided to replace the old castle nut job. Do they also provide the bump stops for the center and sidestands. Also is there a pull out baffle for cleaning and if so how's it held in.

Thanks
-Mike

Offline Mountainsofbeer

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:29:28 AM »
I use angled unipods that very tightly fit inside the airbox connector peice to avoid putting the pod directly onto the carb, but I see people make it work either way.

There is also part UNI NU 2229 can you get that?  It's held in by creating a light seal with the cover when you close it.  I couldn't find any for a 125A specifically but your airbox looks familiar to the 2229 filter i hope
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:33:42 AM by Mountainsofbeer »

Offline rodders

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
Yambits now do filter elements for RD125 and 200

Offline AndyW

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »
thanks for all the input so far.
Whilst I like the looks (and sound) of the Higgspeeds, I'm not keen on losing the air box.
Mike: thanks for your information; your design seems very similar to mine. The latest information on the Higgspeed website is that even with a standard air box, it's probably necessary to increase the main jet by 2-3 sizes. The Higgspeeds I have retain use of the original down-pipes,  clamps are provided to join the down-pipes (their recommendation is to seal the joint with bathroom silicone sealant), no bump-stops are provided for the stands but I believe the pipes are clear of the retracted stands (the side stand certainly is, but the bit of the centre stand that you would usually put your foot on is missing on my bike!), there is a pull-out baffle which is held in with an allen screw.
94016-094018-194020-2
Reference UNI NU 2229 and the Yambits filters: are they not for the coffin tank models?
I'll take a look at fitting pod filters inside the air box.
Cheers
Andy

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »
Thanks for that Andy

In my case my TK carbs are on the end of life and was thinking of preserving for my other 200A. Also getting those main jets is not easy especially when you want selection  :(
So the bike for the Higgspeeds, I've bought some Mikiuni's and sorted adaptors. My pods (15deg offset) lost the airbox but will revisit Mountainofbeer thread to fit in airbox  :-\. So re-jetting with the Mikiuni's should be easier. True you are losing some original looks but so do the Higgspeeds  8)

Rodder's, you got me excited, but the Yambits filter is the single large filter that fits the 1E8 DX. The round tanks use two smaller filters.

The American filter however  UNI NU 2229 does fit the round tanks but near £30 notes  :o
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uni-Air-Filter-Yamaha-RD125-RD200-1976/292468755185?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
The 76 USA bikes are round tanks but had front disc and alli forks with the earlier engine, carbs and airbox

Cheers
-Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:28:59 PM by Astute Greaser »

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
Hi Andy
Looking at your last picture.
If you have rear tyre puncture and have to remove the rear axle, do the Higgspeeds get in way. The originals I found, I had to very careful not to hit the right silencer  ::)
Sorry to be pain, but are you sure your rear axle is assembled correct. It seems to be 180 deg out. The withdrawal head is normally on the right  ??? and the M14 nut on left side of bike  ???
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/yamaha-rd125-1975-usa-rear-wheel_bigyau0777d-3_20f6.gif
-Mike

Offline AndyW

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
Hi Mike,
           orientation of the rear wheel shaft isn't something I've thought about before! It's always been like that since before I had the bike!
Whilst I can adjust the chain no  problem, I'm going to have to loosen the exhaust to remove the rear wheel.
Do I need to change the spindle round? Is it a big issue?
I found an article advising that Keihin 99101-116 jets can be used in the Teikei carbs, Allens Performance supply them and they do fit, so I'm hoping that it will be possible to retain the Teikei carbs. If not I've got a pair of Mikuni VM20-273s and a couple CT3 inlet manifolds standing by.
Andy

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:34:04 PM »
Hi Andy

First of thanks for the info on the Higgspeed's and nice to see similar thoughts on carbs.

With regards the axle.Now you have asked a question which made me think. Without stripping and repeating on my own bike I cannot give a definitive answer.  ???
What I will say is this. The axle is 15 mm dia turned down to M14. So provided the M14 thread is not within the RH chain adjuster and/or the slot within the swinging arm, then no problem.
Otherwise yes the clearances are increased, so mechanically not good practice but clearly you could/ possibly have got away with it.
From maintenance point of view i.e. tensioning the chain. Having the hub nut and axle nut on same side, makes life easier. With the Higgspeed’s, being in the way, it would definitely be easier all from the LH side.

From a selfish perspective and for others I'm sure, some more photo's of your Higgspeed's and your bike to convince me to go for them and a chance for you to show off that investment would be nice  :) :)
Cheers
-Mike

Offline AndyW

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi again Mike,
                     my bike is a bit of a "work in-progress" with some bits still a bit rough.
I'm planning to do the forks over the winter and I'm not sure what I can do about the spokes...
However, when I've got the carbs sorted, I'll do a bit of a walk-round video for you.
Cheers
Andy

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »
Hi Andy
Look forward to that.

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 02:49:07 PM »
I would agree that the rear spindle should go the other way with the two nuts the same side.

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 06:23:20 PM »

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer