Author Topic: Totally confused  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Totally confused
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:57:48 PM »
Hi
I've just had my v62 returned from Dvla with them saying they hold no record of my bike being registered via the vin number and I need to register it... I've read through the post on how to fill out v55/5 etc. But still confused,  can someone explain In layman's terms what i need to do please , do I need a nova number? It's a 522 uk rd 250b or dating certificate there is also talk of v112 mot exemption forms , Any help gratefully received
Cheers guys
Keep on smoking 😁

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Totally confused
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 05:35:23 AM »
Did you get your own ‘vin search’ done before you approached them? Really sure it’s not there?

Reason is you will have given them 522-00xxxx, problem is it’s probably on there just as xxxx. In 1975 the 522 aspec of the vin was considered ‘model number’ and the Unique index Was 00xxxx. But pre computer 00xxxx is the same as xxxx.
Every one of my 250Bs is on a 4 digit vin. Just got another coming back now.

However if a vin check on xxxx doesn’t find it, then you need to put in nova as ‘imported‘ from the uk...( don’t ask me Why they don’t have obvious and simple alternative for such computer says no rubbish...)
Then you need a dating certificate.
With dating certificate and nova you can make the age related plate application. No need for mot as it’s historic and no need for insurance as you are not in NI.

Not sure if Paul Dawkins is still doing vin check...think not, but there’s others who do if not.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 08:38:39 AM »
Ah that kinda makes sense ,as im trying to figure in my head why they wouldn't have details,  it must have been registered with them at some point,,  I did give them the full 522 number,  they just said it couldn't be found..  I'll try and get a vin check next
Thanks for your help as always
Keep on smoking 😁

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
Your forgetting one thing.
Computerised DVLA came into existence after the (Paper based) regional administration system was centralised so any vehicle that wasn’t live at the time was not moved from regional to Swansea. Many old bikes Including RDs from mid 70s, records just destroyed or not carried over.

I have two 350s that are defo UK bikes that also need to be re registered...you are not alone!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:13:10 AM by betty foRD »
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
I agree with all of the other replies. In addition (and apologies if I've already posted this!) someone on another forum actually managed to speak to the DVLA (I know, amazing!) and this is what he told me:-

Al,
 The Team are :V.I.Team, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD and the lady i spoke to suggested a covering letter explaining what you wish to do and in my case to print along the top of the form NO VRM only Chassis.

It would be nice to keep the original number plate, even if you don't know what it is!  :D
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Online RDDave

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
I agree with the vin check route.

I bought a frame with matching cases with no V5, sent the form for 'lost v5' to dvla c/w frame number 1A2 123456. Received a letter back saying nothing on their system.

I was sure it was a UK bike and asked Paul to do a vin check for me, came back as a UK bike, no issues and the original reg number. Frame number on dvla system was 1A20123456.

Sent 'lost v5' form back to dvla with reg number and correctly filled in vin number and received my new v5 a week or two later... ;)   :)

Also, as it had not been taxed or mot'd since the 80's i didn't need to sorn it.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:34:34 AM by RDDave »

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 08:53:27 PM »
I just had a guy on the classic two stroke forum do a vin check for me , unfortunately he cannot find a reg number,  he went on to say its probably an unregistered import that was  due for Canada or the us ? It's a 522 I'm sure it's a uk bike .
Keep on smoking 😁

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »
I dont think they are looking for the original registration. I think they are referring to the NOVA, they type the VIN number in to see it it has a NOVA, No NOVA then no registration no matter where the bike has come from. All new registrations need a NOVA.
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:10:10 AM »
I dont think they are looking for the original registration. I think they are referring to the NOVA, they type the VIN number in to see it it has a NOVA, No NOVA then no registration no matter where the bike has come from. All new registrations need a NOVA.
Thanks paul  , I'll attempt to get a nova for it
Keep on smoking 😁

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
If you have problems doing the Nova online, then read reply No 6 of this thread for HMRC contact details
http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=58601.0
-Mike

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 11:22:13 PM »
If you have problems doing the Nova online, then read reply No 6 of this thread for HMRC contact details
-Mike

Thanks Mike that is very helpful as I was just about to ask how you get around some of the questions as the answers you want arnt in the drop boxes,  I'll try downloading the form
Thanks again Dale
Keep on smoking 😁

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:19:53 AM »
-Mike

Thanks Mike that is very helpful as I was just about to ask how you get around some of the questions as the answers you want arnt in the drop boxes,  I'll try downloading the form
Thanks again Dale

You will still be asking some of those questions  ::) but manually filling in form is easier to my old brain.
Do not use the address on the form. Use the one in my thread
An explanatory letter with the form will help especially of those questions you are struggling with. With photos of VIN numbers and copy of your purchase receipt to show you are owner!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:43:34 AM by Astute Greaser »

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »
-Mike

Thanks again Dale

You will still be asking some of those questions  ::) but manually filling in form is easier to my old brain.
Do not use the address on the form. Use the one in my thread
An explanatory letter with the form will help especially of those questions you are struggling with. With photos of VIN numbers and copy of your purchase receipt to show you are owner!

Thank you for your advice.  I now have all the form so will see how it goes from here
Keep on smoking 😁

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 10:23:26 PM »
Good news so far , recieved my dating certificate from Paul Dawkins,  and thanks to the advice I was given for obtaining nova ,re down loading the form and the different address to send it I got it approved in a just over a week. Just the v55/5 to go ....Many thanks for everyone's help on this much appreciated.!!
Keep on smoking 😁

Offline Dale

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:36:54 AM »
Well just as I thought I had nailed it , it came back rejected yesterday  .... ,At first dvla said in their letter the dating certificate didn't match the nova and to contact the dating officer!! When I looked through the paper work in turns out there is a typo in the vin on the nova , hopefully this will be an easy amendment 🙉
Keep on smoking 😁