Author Topic: New Season, New Team, New Bike  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Sfbrain

• Sfbrain
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • sfbrain
New Season, New Team, New Bike
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:34 AM »
Ok, by the time this post goes "Live" on the forum all the info below will be public knowledge.

Danny has been signed up, on a 2 year contract (with option for a 3rd) to be the #1 rider and development rider for Mahindra Racing.

This is an all new team joining the 125 world championship in order to be ready for the new Moto3 class that begins in 2012.

Mahindra are a BIG (and i mean, bigger than a very big thing) company in India (they make Trucks, Cars, Motorbikes, Tractors, Develop software, build houses and have their own Bank).

Mahindra have bought a very well established company in Italy (Engines Engineering) to build and run their race bikes and team. Engines Engineering (EE) for many years have made the Ducati racing chassis.

EE, last season ran the "lambretta" racing project, this was a "Badge engineering" project where the Lambretta company paid EE to brand an old bike and engine as a Lambretta.

Since being bought by Mahindra, EE have designed and developed a NEW chassis and engine (this is not a rebadged Lambretta project), a great deal of money has been invested in this project, the objective of the project is to get Mahindra up to the 2nd largest motorcycle manufacturer in India (currently 5th).

Here is a pic of the "Mock Up" bike made for an internal launch, held in Kuala Lumper recently. Look at that chassis and tank, remind you of anything ??

Danny and I are currently in Mumbai where the global launch of the project was held yesterday (Friday), very soon i will be posting an update on the launch and some pics.

Steve
RD250E (Running)
DT175C (Almost !!)
FS1E '74 (Running)
XS750E (Waiting)
GSXR750F (Running)
CB750K2 '74 (waiting)
CBR900RRN '92 (Running)
GS1000S '80 (in 1000 peices)
TRIUMPH TINA '63 (restored)
Honda P50 '68 (Running)
RD350B (Running)
TDR250 (in progress)
Club Member 1556

Offline 250drummie

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
So what is this years bike? Is it just something else rebadged or a EE stand alone bike.

And where can I get one.  
Thats going to cost ya son!

Offline Solder

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:21:27 AM »
Looks very waspish, like the trellis frame.

Can"t wait to see how it goes in testing.

Gav  

Offline Sfbrain

• Sfbrain
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • sfbrain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:24 AM »

Quote from: 250drummie
So what is this years bike? Is it just something else rebadged or a EE stand alone bike.

And where can I get one.  

This years bike is still evolving  

and thats not finished, in two weeks the latest evolution will roll out at Valencia for a test.

The final bike will roll out at the Jerez test in the begining of Narch.

No its not the Lambretta engine from last year, its been considerably developed, new crank and cases, new cyclinder and new ignition system.

Its run 3 race distances on the dyno without failing, they have found an extra 2-3 horsepower (which is a lot for a 125) and the bike is 4 kg lighter  

Its currently in the windtunnel in Bologna developing the fairing.

Steve
RD250E (Running)
DT175C (Almost !!)
FS1E '74 (Running)
XS750E (Waiting)
GSXR750F (Running)
CB750K2 '74 (waiting)
CBR900RRN '92 (Running)
GS1000S '80 (in 1000 peices)
TRIUMPH TINA '63 (restored)
Honda P50 '68 (Running)
RD350B (Running)