Author Topic: Has anyone else un-seized an engine this way, or should I patent it?!  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Not being the most patient chap, having made a token attempt at using various penetrating fluids, not having access to any heat source, but also not wanting to resort to brute force and ignorance, I was struggling to find a way to un-seize my Canadian import Suzuki GT550 (the importer stated seized due to standing, but more of that later!).

What I do have, however, is a nice large engine hoist with lifting straps and it occurred to me that if I could somehow attach the straps to the barrels, one at a time, then maybe I could lift them and use the weight of the bike to break the seizure.

As the cylinder head mounting studs on the barrels don’t go all the way into the crankcases, I thought that it might be possible to use these as a holding point for the straps.

I bought two mild steel bars off ebay (100mm x 25mm x 10mm) and drilled two 11mm holes in each, so that they could sit on the studs. A couple of washers and M10 nuts on each stud and the strap could sit nicely under them. Attach the two ends of the strap to the engine hoist and off we go!   

Well, to quote Ben Elton, bugger me backwards with a blunt root vegetable, it worked!!

The right cylinder broke free straight away, the left one (which I already knew had “issues”!) broke off at the small end bearing(!) and the centre one needed a tap with a wooden mallet and length of wooden dowel to free it.

A series of photos are attached for the amusement of you all. These show my apparatus in action, as well as what is left of the left side piston, both in and out of the barrel! There was me hoping that nothing would have dropped into the crank!!

I do have another complete bottom end, barrels and pistons that I can use to get the bike on the road fairly quickly, although part of me would still like to keep the original crankcases and therefore engine number.

Still, I’m well chuffed that my rather wacky idea worked.

I’ve posted this on a couple of other forums that I’m on, so apologies if you end up seeing it more than once.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:49:45 AM by Gr8uncleal »
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
A tad on the extreme side but you got the result you wanted!
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) fully restored 2018 on road
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 on road
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 ongoing project.
usa Z1A 1974

Offline Lyonsio

• Newcomer
Re: Has anyone else un-seized an engine this way, or should I patent it?!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:44:54 AM »
You’re a man after my own heart! Excellent job, and to hell with that weak assed conrod!

Offline smokinsimmo

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
I ruined one of these by putting the wrong piston rings in.  Check if it has chrome plated barrels and if so only use cast iron rings.
Paid up Rd club member #30.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:14:13 AM »
I can't see the pics. they come up as small thumbnails on the thread and when you open them they're about 5 times size of screen lol but I get the idea.

Nothing like the satisfaction of trying something 'crazy' and it works.

I wanted to do this to get armature off my CS3E engine, ie put bolt in the armature and hang engine by the bolt over something soft. Come back a week later to find engine has dropped onto the soft thing.

Only problem was the unbalanced shape of the engine made it not hang straight so I didn't pursue it

CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:35:36 AM »
I have heard of using adapters and a grease gun to hydraulically move a piston (as I often do on seized brake pistons), but not this.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
I can't see the pics. they come up as small thumbnails on the thread and when you open them they're about 5 times size of screen lol but I get the idea.

Nothing like the satisfaction of trying something 'crazy' and it works.

I wanted to do this to get armature off my CS3E engine, ie put bolt in the armature and hang engine by the bolt over something soft. Come back a week later to find engine has dropped onto the soft thing.

Only problem was the unbalanced shape of the engine made it not hang straight so I didn't pursue it

Morning Graham.

There should be one of those paper clip thingies underneath each photo, with the file name - usually when you select this the image opens to full screen. That's on a normal pc mind - no idea how these new-fangled gadgets work!
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:06:37 AM »
I ruined one of these by putting the wrong piston rings in.  Check if it has chrome plated barrels and if so only use cast iron rings.

Thanks.

I have bought a complete set of crankcases with gearbox etc to go with matched cylinders, pistons and rings and I will attempt to get the bike back on the road this way in the first instance. I will then try and find out if anything further needs doing to the original crank, other than a strip and cleaning out whatever swarf found it's way in there.  :o It could be a while before I get to look at it though!  :D
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Yam AS3 in boxes