Author Topic: 1975 RD200 Teikei Carb Troubleshooting Question  (Read 684 times)

Offline Clorox

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
1975 RD200 Teikei Carb Troubleshooting Question
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
So I finally got the rebuild kit for my carbs to hopefully stop this over fueling that keeps fouling my spark plugs.

I of course watched several youtube instructional videos about troubleshooting carbs. One suggested checking the valve seat and floats  using a vacuum pump to see if any full would leak by. Does anyone use this method? If so what psi can you normally hold?

Anyway, in doing so I found that when I put my finger over the valve seat assembly with the valve in it it would hold pressure, meaning it would not be leaking in fuel. However, when I put the float in and test it using just the down pressure from the float the valve will not hold any pressure, meaning that fuel would be leaking by.

After seeing this I noticed the float and the float pin as super loose, and I know that this isn’t the original float pin. Could this play in the float pin be causing that loose of pressure because I know the seal is good between the valve seat and the carb body?  Or am I just over thinking this? Could it be the float itself?

Any suggestions?

By the way, the carb kit I got was a Keyster kit because that is all I could find. I have read people have problems with them. If I am using one of them where should I set the clip on the needle for the throttle valve?
Flare up like a flame and make big shadows I can move in.   ~Rainer Maria Rilke

1975 RD200
Cumming, Georgia
USA

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: 1975 RD200 Teikei Carb Troubleshooting Question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
I can't offer any advice on most of your queries, but rather than over think problems, assemble the carb and hook it up to a petrol source. If it leaks you need to revisit it, if it doesn't leak, bingo you have a working carb
Good luck
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett