Author Topic: Gen v pattern experience  (Read 665 times)

Offline mts

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Gen v pattern experience
« on: November 15, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
Thought id save a few quid and bought a pattern throttle cable assembly from yambits  £17 described as a quality  item..now the gen yam one is £66 .received it but very dissapointed with it first issue was one of the throttle cables jumped out of the joining piece and after refitting came out again far too easily.also the joint piece body is much smaller in diameter so dosent fit into the retaining clip on the frame .all in all cheap rubbish imo.contacted Yambits and gave my feedback on it and to be fair to them no quibble refund inc postage and purchased the gen one from them all fitted with no problemns and very happy..so i guess a classic story of you get what you pay for but thought id post in case others are considering the choice .

Silver black 250 DX  pure
Yellow black 250/350 DX. Heinz 57
White red 400 2r9 pure for resto

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
Re: Gen v pattern experience
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
I have not tried one but Norbo stocks Japanese throttle cables trhat he tells me come from the same factory as the yam ones, I actually struck lucky and got a couple of NOS genuine ones at a very good price which are stowed away for when they are needed now , and have anorak pleasing metal adjusters at the handlebar end
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »
The stupid thing is, it cost the same to make stuff correctly as it does to make it incorrectly...really no excuse to serve up junk. Conversely, yamaha prices are mad, I’m sure they sell five times the stuff and make more money if they dropped their prices. There’s a big gap between £17 and £66...

Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline mts

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »

i would agree but my experience was there was a big gap in the quality but yes Yam do cane you  :'(
Silver black 250 DX  pure
Yellow black 250/350 DX. Heinz 57
White red 400 2r9 pure for resto

Online Ridgy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:26:00 PM »
£66 for a throttle cable sounds bonkers but so does £17 for a thing that doesn't work! Years ago you used to be able to buy cable components and make your own. I made a set for my old BSA.

You do have to take a bit of care over securing the ends though, there's a knack to burring over the cable inside the nipples - the solder is mainly for neatness. It's like a lot of things, if you have more time than money it can be a rewarding thing to have a go at.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »
Has anyone tried out this company?

Sometimes it's a cable, sometimes it's a junction "tube", and I'm not sure that Yamaha supplied these as a separate part.

https://carrotcycles.co.uk/custom-made-cables.html
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Online Ridgy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »
Oooo now you're onto something there.....they have silver/grey outers as well!

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:38:09 PM »

Sometimes it's a cable, sometimes it's a junction "tube", and I'm not sure that Yamaha supplied these as a separate part.

yes! used then a lot, gave up with rubbish cables and make own, check out venhill as well, you can buy a complete boxed kit of goodies but may not suit all as a lot of british fittings included. Don't throw your old cable fittings and adjusters away, cut them off. If they are rusty you van easily restore them at home with a very simple nickel plating process (phone charger, vinegar, salt and some cast iron welding rods (98% nickle)).

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:55 AM »

yes! used then a lot, gave up with rubbish cables and make own, check out venhill as well, you can buy a complete boxed kit of goodies but may not suit all as a lot of british fittings included. Don't throw your old cable fittings and adjusters away, cut them off. If they are rusty you van easily restore them at home with a very simple nickel plating process (phone charger, vinegar, salt and some cast iron welding rods (98% nickle)).
lets have the recipe for this nickel plating please Dave preferably in hot topics please  :) :) :)
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 10:16:22 PM »
o.k. done!