Author Topic: PATCH 10 's USA rd 400C RESTO  (Read 95933 times)

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • believe and you may achieve
PATCH 10 's USA rd 400C RESTO
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Hi I'm new to this excellent forum and proud to be a member. I picked up a early rd 400 
Is this as bad as it looks/gets seized pistons in bores / jugs have other forum members had these problems when trying to restore the mighty rd 400 it's a 76 model and I would imagine it had been sat for many many years it's a top to bottom restoration project I have a long road ahead of me that is for sure.but I'm up for it.I have always had a passion for 2stroke bikes..The plus side to this is I have two spare engines hopping to make one gd engine out the 3
Just looking how to post pics
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:23:39 AM by patch10 »
T.T wannabe  AKA chris poulton
zx10r c1 monster energy special 167bhp at r/w
rothmans honda vfr 104bhp at r/w

RD400C work in progress here : now finished
http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=49208.0

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: New member new challengers with rd 400
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
pictures of the seized pistons
and bits of the bike

Offline nsrnick

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • www.rd-bitz.co
Re: New member new challengers with rd 400 with pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »
Seen worse........

Throw the wd40 in the bin, soak the pistons in plusgas for a day or two, the pots will come off them. New bore size will be dependant on how much pitting is in the current bores.

I'd me more interested in what state the carb internals are in along with the inside of the crank cases......

Rest of the bike looks very restorable.

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »
plusgas never heard of that stuff i will research that thanks, carbs are ok obviously need a dam good clean 

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Your task is to disassemble this without ruining it, looks like someone has already been mullering the left piston?  Looks like the pistons might be standard bore and, the right side might not be seized.  The crank will not turn with the seized left pot and, with the right piston almost at the top, I would remove the engine before going any further!  Resist the temptation to whack it or lever the cylinders! >:( 
With the engine out, use plus-gas/ WD or diesel-oil mix to lube right piston and then heat the right cylinder with a hot air gun. You should use the Yamaha approved method to loosen the cylinder with sharp blows from a plastic mallet onto the strong area of the cylinder just under the exhaust port.  With luck, the piston will be free enough to let the cylinder move up the studs and off!  If the crank will now turn but the left piston is solid, you should be able to break the gasket joint at the cylinder base with sharb blows from the plastic mallet on the strong area below the exhaust port of the left pot and, if the crank will turn, the cylinder should then move up the studs with the piston still stuck.  I would then cut the conrod to free the cylinder with the piston in place. ;)

Engines with both pistons fully rust seized are best split first (bottom case removed) so that when the pistons are forced down the bores, the crank can just move down. ;)

Anyway, just my opinions. Cheers

5port

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
It might be a trick of the pics but, the right piston looks to only be about 10mm from TDC but the left about 20mm from BDC? :-\ :'(
5port

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for all this useful information it's a great help for me to read I'm not the only one who has been in this problem before. Luckly I do have another engine..so I'm hoping to at least make a good un ou of the two fingers crossed... my next QUESTION where's best to get it re bored and pistons,rings and bits !!!
The bike as it is in the picture is matching engine and frame numbers....on 13k miles on the clocks..I was wondering if it would be best to restore or cate racer the bike.any thoughts..and help would be so very welcome thanks everyone

Offline RDnuts

• RDnuts
  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • nuts about rds
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
if only things were that simple ;) the plusgas and any other fluid method does not always work as if the bores are rusty this prevents you lifting or dropping the pistons the other way  ,and depends on whether it was a hot seizure or just a  left standing one , sometimes the only method is to destroy the pistons , i use a air hammer chisel as it makes quick work of a piston and saves your crank and having to wack your barrels it looks in the pic that only one piston has seized so a bit of a savour if thats the case final choice of method is yours :'(
RDnuts now 24 mucho  RDs tooooo many even for me , the best things in life aint free, non fully paid up x member 2376 owner and restorer of the first rd to come to the uk RYN51L front page of april 2013 classic bike my claim to fame

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:54 AM »
luckily when i bought the bike i did get some spare's with it.another engine and heads and spare engine casing and other bits.the spare engine is i hope going to be my savour. when i remove the seized engine from the bike here's some pics..

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
does any members know of a good two stroke engine builder in the Devon /Cornwall area for me to get this engine on spec and running then its the cosmetics and electrics but i want to know the engine can be sorted before i start throwing my money at this smoker.....

Offline Mr. Wiring Wizard

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »
Another member in Devon! Welcome aboard :)   I'm in Plymouth if you need any electrical gremlins sorting out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:56:13 PM by Mr. Wiring Wizard »

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »
does any members know of a good two stroke engine builder in the Devon /Cornwall area for me to get this engine on spec and running then its the cosmetics and electrics but i want to know the engine can be sorted before i start throwing my money at this smoker.....

Well matey, are you sure this bike is for you? :-\
5port

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:07 AM »
Another member in Devon! Welcome aboard :)   I'm in Plymouth if you need any electrical gremlins sorting out.

thanks mr. wiring wizard nice to know there's ppl close that can help thanks

Well matey, are you sure this bike is for you? :-\

yes im not going to stop until this bike is a gem.....

Offline patch10

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
5port  how can you say that l@@k at her she's in need and im going to get her good no matter wot.......

Offline paulsx

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
looking at the cylinders it should be easy. Get the motor out and then using a soft face hammer hit the piston at TDC and it should move downwards. It will then lift the other cylinder off of the mounting studs and let you have access to get the wrist pin circlip out and remove the cylinder and piston as one. Bit of gentle tapping should free the pistons then leaving the rest of the engine undamaged.

If you want someone to rebuild it for you there are loads of tuners people can recommend and places like Racxxxx engineering do a very good job. Just dont underestimate the cost, you going to need crank rebuild = £250ish, rebore and pistons =£175, gaskets and other bits =£100 so your looking at £500-£600 before you do the cosmetics on the engine and pay someone to do it.

Good luck it looks a great project
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:16:27 AM by paulsx »