Author Topic: Points & Timing on USA Model 400C  (Read 180 times)

Offline Cooky1961

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Points & Timing on USA Model 400C
« on: October 13, 2021, 08:03:21 PM »
Hello

I am trying to get the points gap and timing sorted on a USA model 400c, points have been gapped timing set at 2mm before TDC but I am getting no spark at the plugs.  I am getting a voltage reading of 12.5 volts from the battery a live through the fuse board and a reading of 4.5volts from one of the wires from the resistor assembly.

I have attached a photo of the points am I correct in thinking the R/H set of points work in conjunction with the R/H cylinder.

With the points gap set correctly one set of points does not close after it comes of the cam there is still a small gap.

Would it be easier fitting electronic ignition?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Points & Timing on USA Model 400C
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
If you've bought any new parts (points, condenser etc), did you check that they were the Mitsubishi items? UK and Euro models used Hitachi and US Mitsubishi and I'm not sure how compatible they are with each other.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline Cooky1961

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:35:03 PM »
Hello

Yes I made sure the points and condensers were for the American model (purchased from yambits)

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:51 PM »
Those last three words worry me slightly!  :o

It might be worth trying to source some nos originals.
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 11:10:30 PM »
How did you set the timing at 2mm BTDC if the points were not opening and closing? Go back and use the procedure from the FSM to set them using a light that will show you opening and closing. You may have to go back and forth several times to get it correct. Some folks here seem to love to slander Yambits. I have had pretty good results from them so far.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline SJM

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 11:23:15 PM »
If one contact does not close you will need to slacken off the contact base plate and move it a bit then retighten the base plate ;)

RD400F Daytona Modified, RD400F Daytona Original Stock, RD400F Pile of Parts!, RD250E Pile of Parts! Still! Ducati M1200R Black.

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 07:36:05 AM »
Some folks here seem to love to slander Yambits. I have had pretty good results from them so far.

No intention to slander Yambits and I too have had good products and service from them. However, there are posts and threads here relating to the manufacturer of the points that they supply changing from Daiichi. Also, in general, a lot of folks, both here and in the US, have had issues with new coils, spark plugs, points and condensers which weren't either original or from a respected aftermarket manufacturer.

Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:25:26 AM »
what I would do is to put a screwdriver across both sides od the points and see if they spark when you remove it, try it with the points both open then closed, if they still spark when closed then it is the points at fault, if no spark at all, check all your feeds for continuity, if still no spark then check your coils with an amp meter, also check your condensers but be careful when checking these as you might get a shock from these as they store a lot of energy.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »
Orange lead is left cylinder, grey lead is right. You really need a "points checker" - I use a box that I've made up that has a light and buzzer to indicate closed (light and sound ON) and open. It is used with key switch OFF. The points ground the coils so they can build up stored energy, then release it suddenly when the points open.

First, adjust both points gap to be 0.30 - 0.40 mm at maximum opening (rotate the crank forward to adjust, and go back to check after adjusting the other side until they both stay in spec). Use the screws marked in red in the photo.

Then, you want the points to just open at the firing point 2.3 +/- 0.15 mm BTDC. This distance is measured with a dial depth gauge through the plug hole to the top of the respective piston. It isn't that hard, but having the correct tools really helps. I had never adjusted an RD before, and must have placed mine spot on because it starts and runs great. So, don't be discouraged. The rotation that the points open is adjusted by rotating the entire points plate carefully. Use the screws marked in blue in the photo.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 01:45:19 PM by pidjones »
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"