Author Topic: New (to me) 400c  (Read 581 times)

Offline Busby

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: New (to me) 400c
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
Sorry everyone, need to sort flicker out😂

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »
Seems not to big a mountain to climb, depending on internals. By observation, Yamaha must have sold the Chappy Red RD400c's at about 10:1 over Geneva Green.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »
Hi Busby, looks like a nice easy project and well worth making into a nice bike, like pidjones said, the inners is what is important, the majority of a bike is cosmetic. Make it run nice and look nice then you have won. Keep us updated.

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
It looks like a low miles bike that has sat around for 45 years but been fiddled with?
Strange, things like the front of the pump off in situ, brake lever missing, indicators gone etc?
Carbs possibly RD250/350.
More pics would be good.
Good luck!

5port
5port

Offline Busby

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »
Bike is showing 10,000 miles on it. Seeing as it has the original Yokohama tyres on it I would think that that is probably correct. As you all say internals will be the thing. Pump is booked in with Arrow but he has no time until Easter so no rush for engine work. Paint shop had slot so the tin ware is away at the moment. Ford ruby red but my paint guy seems to think that the paint code I have given him is a pearl finish. Anyone got a code for the metallic finish? I am in the process of sorting the brakes out. Obviously the front was completely gone butI have rebuilt the master cylinder and pumped one of the pistons out, just waiting for the caliper rebuild kit to come. Amazingly the back brake still works even with 46 year old fluid in but will need rebuilding as well. More pics to follow as I get into it.

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
Does the attached document help?

If 1976 model, then colour is Chappy Red with a Pearl White undercoat.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
Chappy Red should be available from RSBikePaints in a water-borne. 1/2 pint is more than enough. I changed mine from red to Geneva Green with a single coat over light grey primer, then a couple more coats for good leveling (you must NOT color sand) followed by the clear (I used 2k rattle can Spraymax). I'm no painter, but sprayed it with my cheap Harbor Freight rig like it was a lacquer, let it cure a couple days in low humidity (air conditioned basement), then the clear. Any uh-ohs in the clear can be wet sanded out. Let the over-all cure a week then add the decals and clear again.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:26:16 PM by pidjones »
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:22:50 PM »
Bike is showing 10,000 miles on it. Seeing as it has the original Yokohama tyres on it I would think that that is probably correct. As you all say internals will be the thing. Pump is booked in with Arrow but he has no time until Easter so no rush for engine work. Paint shop had slot so the tin ware is away at the moment. Ford ruby red but my paint guy seems to think that the paint code I have given him is a pearl finish. Anyone got a code for the metallic finish? I am in the process of sorting the brakes out. Obviously the front was completely gone butI have rebuilt the master cylinder and pumped one of the pistons out, just waiting for the caliper rebuild kit to come. Amazingly the back brake still works even with 46 year old fluid in but will need rebuilding as well. More pics to follow as I get into it.
Original tyres at 10,000 miles. Seems doubtful. Most of us hooligan youngsters in the day would have got through them a bit quicker.

Offline Busby

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 06:56:31 PM »
Hi Astute,

You haven’t seen how bald the back tyre is😂😂😂😂

Offline Busby

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
Hi PidJones,

I am changing the colour to the red that was supplied in this country. It is a lovely deep maroon colour.

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
Hi PidJones,

I am changing the colour to the red that was supplied in this country. It is a lovely deep maroon colour.

Yes, I do like the '76 RD400C Euro Brilliant Red.  I don't think it was common in UK, you see more tanks and side panels in that colour from Germany.  I suspect it was a candy.  Difficult to get right.

5port
5port

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 06:50:54 PM »
Hi PidJones,

Yes, I do like the '76 RD400C Euro Brilliant Red.  I don't think it was common in UK, you see more tanks and side panels in that colour from Germany.  I suspect it was a candy.  Difficult to get right.

5port

This Yamaha literature with Brilliant Red on it might be of use to someone.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline Comms Guy

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • GSX1400, RD400F
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »
Seeing the 76 & 77 Yamaha Paint charts, would anyone have them for the "E" & "F" models, Please??
TIA

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 08:09:30 PM »
Hi PidJones,

5port

This Yamaha literature with Brilliant Red on it might be of use to someone.

Yes, Del's RD400 Colour guide on his first post on the Hot Topics pages is good. "Yamaha RD400. The Model Guide"

Cheers

5port
5port