Author Topic: New owner in Chicago  (Read 772 times)

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Re: New owner in Chicago
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 02:35:44 AM »
It's a crane ignition.
No matter what I tired I could not register on the other site. Finllay got a hold of the admin who then created an account for me.
1975 RD350

Offline redlining

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 06:21:33 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the info! I have the bike somewhat ripped apart. Going to paint it myself, same color, add different seat, yada, yada... It's getting cold here, so within 2 weeks, the non-heated garage will be out of limits, and it will hibernate until spring. This will end of being my son's bike later on, can't wait to hear the flak he will get when he pulls up in smokey joe at high school. I received your pm. I will snap pics of the coil, ignition, etc. when I start putting it back together and I'm getting ready to fire it up again. Hopefully you can give me some more insight. When I first saw the ignition (replaced clutch cable), I thought what in the holy heck is this? lol.
One other thing, for some reason I can't register on 2stroke, no idea what is up, tried 3 times, therefore I can't reach out to the person who designed the ignition. The person I bought it from said once in a blue moon it would start in reverse, thinks the timing is too far advanced, but he never adjusted it. Thats also what I read in a few other posts.  Now, if this is an inherited flaw in regard to this type of ignition, then maybe I should dump it? I can see my son not picking up on this and all hell breaks loose.
My best friend had a rd400, then kz650 (which I crashed), then a 900, then a 1000. Then a gs1000, bored to 1100.  He still talks about the kz.
Thanks again.

Welcome to the club! I am newbie too and have already gotten tons of help.

+1 for not being able to register on 2Strokeworld. I did it twice too without luck.

Offline GSXRDman

• fragster
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 06:39:27 AM »
I don't know if this showed up in the e-mail, but here is the home made pressure tester I used.  You can also use a Blood pressure guage,but have to do the conversion...also a lot more sensitive, so i fyou have a blood pressure cuff and gauge, that cansave you from buying an automotive style vacuum/pressure gauge.

Again, hopefully the picture shows up.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:46:48 AM by GSXRDman »

Offline redlining

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 02:19:53 AM »
yes.   the ignition occasionally start backward.  I got around that by looking at the tach.  If the tach does NOT move, KILL it and then kick it over again until the tach is moving.

Otherwise, you might do a face plant.   Advise your son, if you plan on stll using the ignition.  otherwise you have a cool reverse, in case you need it.   Just do a lazy kick :)  I did notice the bike have a tendency to short stall over bumps, so yeah....might be a good idea.

I believe on 2Strokeworld.net, VIntage Smoke used a Dyna ignition and got a work around for that, so you might want to try his ignitions.

Another reason you might not have been able to logon is that your handle may already be taken.  Your handle "rd4me" sounds familiar, so if someone has it...that may be the case.  In any event, if you can't still logon w/ a NEW name, contact me via my hotmail and i'll e-mail Mark to get you onboard.

One thing Mark tried was to reverse pie cut the washer to combat this.  Read: pie cut larger, back cut it, so to speak.  Wasn't a big issue for me, but you have to be conscious of this every time you start it.

I have a similar problem with not being able to join 2strokeworld, can you help me out too? IF so let me know and I Can PM you?

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2023, 11:26:00 AM »
Redlining, there is an email address you can send the request to. Once I did that, Mark, I think, setup the account super-fast.
1975 RD350

Offline redlining

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 08:16:26 PM »
Redlining, there is an email address you can send the request to. Once I did that, Mark, I think, setup the account super-fast.
can you PM me that please?