Author Topic: RD350 Track Bike build  (Read 18998 times)

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD350 Track Bike build
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2021, 07:58:39 PM »
A bit of progress this week. 
The bottom end of the engine is fitted and topped with 1600cc of Castrol Power 1 10w-30 (MA2).  I am ready to fit the top end but, the return of the cold nights has slowed progress so, still to do.
In contrast, I have returned to the front forks set-up.  ???
My tests with static sag and estimated compression /load showed that there was probably too much preload with 25mm (40kg).  So, I have come down to 20mm (32kg) and now 15mm (24kg) preload.  There is quite a bit of stiction but, the 15mm preload spacer gives close to what I think the forks should be.  There is a bit more weight to go on so, it might change with that but, I am in the ball park and, I have loads of options to increase preload in small increments from this point.  In fact, the fork action feels very nice and positive.  :)   I also did some further work on the oil viscosity for damping and I have gone up to 10W40 now.  This is to try and match the increased spring strength to greater damping.  The standard oil level of 389mm from the top of the fork is now raised to 370mm from the top which gives the slightly increased air spring effect that I want.
There is not much more to try with those settings until the bike is finished and I can look again at static sag and, then try it !  :)

Cheers

5port
5port

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2021, 04:06:20 PM »
Rainy Bank Holiday!  ::)
So, I have fitted the pistons and tuned cylinders to the trackbike.  :)  Started with a quick review of the parts and did some final chamfering on the ports.  Everything nice and clean so the heat cycled TKRJ 4L0 pattern pistons donated by Steve Moffat were easily slipped onto the rods.  These are my initial standard for this tuned engine.  Mick Abbey did the bores at 2.0 thou clearance with these. Mick advises that clearance for racing and the extra heat load that they will get.  I was keen on 1.8 thou (standard for an aircooled TR3 350 racer but Mick trumped me with his experience of how these roadbike parts work when tuned)!  ;D  Piston life and silent running in a high tuned engine that is not really going to get run-in is not so important as avoiding seizure. The TZ350 manual has you running the engine at medium power then removing the cylinder for inspection and "rubbing down" any light marks on the piston, that is with 1.8 thou as new clearance.
I have fitted both piston rings but, I have left out the lower ring expander.  I would have fitted just the upper ring, but that leaves the lower ring groove as a passage for gasses to short-circuit between ports.  Common lore is that the RD is OK with that but, I have a mate whose TZ kept seizing because the TZ pattern pistons he was using had a cut-out  near the gudgeon pin that allowed some short circuiting of gasses.  It would run great but, seize halfway through a race.  Cost him a fortune and possibly a championship, took half a season to work out what was blowing up his engines!  :'(  So, I am not happy with pistons that have any cut-outs that can allow gasses to short circuit.  That means I will have to run both rings, even if I leave out the expander, the lower ring will act to stop gasses moving in the gap.
I was very pleased how the cylinders went on and, Yes I have checked they are on the right way around!
The heads aren't going on today, I am using Permatex copper headgasket sealer spray and it needs to be applied outdoors but, it is raining!
Cheers

5port

5port

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2021, 08:35:01 PM »

Aren't they all
It's good to see the engine now coming together

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »

Aren't they all
It's good to see the engine now coming together

Hi Richard!  Yes, it is good to be getting closer to running.  :)  As a track bike, it has needed lots of fitting and adjusting, like a special.  I will try to get some pics done of the engine as it comes together.  It is getting to the usual "worrying if it will actually run" stage.  It certainly has the potential to work well but, I know it might not be straightforward.  The funny thing is, I plan for further changes anyway into next year, mostly engine, probably pipes and possibly wheels.  Some things depend on the money available.  ::)  Of course, I might still be trying to get it running!   :D :D :-[

Cheers

5port
5port

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
I can't wait to see and hear a vid of it  8)

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

Probably just lots of smoke and engine clatter!   :'(   :D

5port
5port

Offline G Jones

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2021, 07:00:10 PM »
It is getting to the usual "worrying if it will actually run" stage.
There should never be any worry whether it will run -  as I was taught years ago - it needs only 3 things for an engine to run:
Fuel
Compression
Spark

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2021, 07:16:12 PM »

Probably just lots of smoke and engine clatter!   :'(   :D

5port

I hope not, you should not have any trouble, you have done everything by the book, and done it all well too, It'll start second kick I bet you and sound grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaattttttttttt

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2021, 07:16:45 PM »
It is getting to the usual "worrying if it will actually run" stage.
There should never be any worry whether it will run -  as I was taught years ago - it needs only 3 things for an engine to run:
Fuel
Compression
Spark

Yes, for sure!  Actually, this is one of the small engines that I have built.  ;D
All my engines have worked well so, I hope this follows the pattern.  My aim is to see a decent result that I can build on with development next year.  :)
Cheers

5port 
5port

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2021, 07:17:11 PM »
Busy soldering.  ???
I have the Powerdynamo race CDI iggy, the Koso race electronic tach and the Yamaha late TZ kill button to marry-up.  Not going badly.  So far, I have reduced the joints req'd by 50%, reduced total wire count and eliminated a "jocklock" crap joint!
The extra unnesessary joins/wires were where the systems were intended to be integrated together.  I have made soldered connections where I can have one feed and one earth, instead of two.
Hope the electrons know how to work!  :D

5port
5port

Offline G Jones

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2021, 06:42:58 PM »
Busy soldering.  ???
5port
Not wishing to Pi** on your chips - however...
I always used to think soldered joints were superior to crimped - unfortunately not - a well executed crimped joint is more flexible...
Here's a quote from another site which sums it up...
"Crimping contacts eliminates the use of solder which will wick up wire strands and provide an excessive rigid patch which degrades the flexibility and strain tolerance of the wire."
Of course there are other things to consider - type of crimped connector is the first - never use the cheap nasty horrible junk that most motor factors and hardware stores sell - like these...
99235-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
The best type are the Jap type - these...
99237-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
You must use the right crimping pliers though...
99239-2" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Sorry if you know all this - just that I really hate those cheap connectors which should be illegal to sell...

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Aha!  You are living in the land of Perfectionism Gordon!  :D
Yes, full spec perfect Crimps are great.  But, I am working with multi different dia wires (some quite small) and some fiddly joints in tight spaces. So, no way am I going to invest in various Automotive crimping tools, wire strippers etc.
Regardless of the crimp hype, the soldered joint is fairly good, both electrically and mechanically.  The Japanese bullets are OK, the Koso mini connectors are OK, and the Powerdynamo spade connectors are OK.  I have them all in a 12" mini loom, along with all my soldered splices and joints.  ;)

5port
5port

Offline G Jones

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
Aha!  You are living in the land of Perfectionism Gordon!  :D
Of course....there is no other....
I can well remember years ago - helping a guy I knew at the TT - I pointed out to him that his wiring was "less than desirable" for a successful TT race - unfortunately my prediction came true - he pushed the bike the full length of Glencrutchery road & collapsed in a heap - never to race at the TT ever again.
When I got home - I purchased a Wiring kit with the  correct  Jap bullets & crimping tool & sent it to him - although - probably never was used....
I will add - anyone presents  wiring to me with the cheap "squash together" insulated connectors - I will cut them out - they are not fit for (any) purpose....

Online tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
Soldering of electrical joints is good if you know what you are doing. None I have seen so far has been even close to know...
Safest is crimping with real tools. That is an investment beyond £1000
Those toy tools sold by most hardware stores are not very good.
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #344 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »

I will add - anyone presents  wiring to me with the cheap "squash together" insulated connectors - I will cut them out - they are not fit for (any) purpose....

Yes, those cheap crimps are pretty rubbish.  Trouble is, to get good crimps requires good kit and, it is not true that soldering is useless.  Horses for courses.  ;)

Just to add, I did actually solder some lengths of wire into the loom with previously pro crimped ends and connectors on!  ;)
Also, incorporated a Military surplus earth bonding lead into the engine/frame interface.  ;)  Multimeter testing did show that my wiring circuits incorporating the ignition system did already have a good earth.  However, I did want a cast-iron (copper) earth connection.  I have read of someone who's RD was earthing through the clutch cable that started smoking!  :o  :D 

5port
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:48:09 PM by 5port »
5port