Tech Zone > Aircooled RD Tech Help 250cc and Above

RD400C brake calliper (twin piston) torque settings

<< < (2/2)

5port:

--- Quote from: betty foRD on May 09, 2021, 12:54:51 PM ---I suspect it’s likely that since that calliper design was licensed from Lockheed, the accompanying critical service guidance was adopted for good measure or for contractual reasons. Either way, you can imagine that in an aerospace environment, periodic replacement of stressed components like that would be typical.
No one should loose sleep by ignoring on an RD, especially as now the ‘extended field data’ confirms its well within application requirements.

--- End quote ---

Yes, agree that they seem to last the test of time and abuse!  :)

5port

mutley:
Always puzzled me why Yamaha moved to a single-piston sliding caliper design after the C as it seemed far from an improvement. I remember doing stoppies on my RD in the seventies with that twin-piston calliper when it was pretty much the only bike that would do them. Always struck me as a great design. Must have been a cost-saving move to avoid paying royalties to Lockheed?

betty foRD:

--- Quote from: mutley on May 11, 2021, 03:00:41 PM ---Always puzzled me why Yamaha moved to a single-piston sliding caliper design after the C as it seemed far from an improvement. I remember doing stoppies on my RD in the seventies with that twin-piston calliper when it was pretty much the only bike that would do them. Always struck me as a great design. Must have been a cost-saving move to avoid paying royalties to Lockheed?

--- End quote ---
Yes exactly, they couldn’t come to agreement about renewal arrangement.
So wasn’t until 1986 or something when the patent expired and they could use freely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version