Author Topic: Engine kill switch wiring using Powerdynamo/Vape  (Read 118 times)

Offline Alistair64

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Engine kill switch wiring using Powerdynamo/Vape
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:20:08 PM »
Hi
How have you wired in the kill switch on Powerdynamo systems please?
It's for an RD200DX, but I want to ask the question to 250/350/400 owners, as I'm sure the principle will be the same (even though the wire colours will be different). The wires from the kill switch on my bike are brown and red/white.

Basically I've connected them under the tank as follows :-

The brown wire which fed the old ignition coils I've connected to the brown wire at the horn (constant 12v) and the red/white wire which went to the old regulator I've connected to the black wire at the Powerdynamo relay. This seemed to make sense.
However, it doesn't work and I still get sparks with the switch in any position.
I've tested the integrity of the switch itself doing resistance checks in all positions and it's fine.

Any advice from owners of the larger bikes please?
Thanks.
1983 Candy red RD200DX Fahron-tuned Special with one-off Swarbrick pipes
1986 White/red Stephens-tuned RD350F1 YPVS - owned since 1987...yes, honestly!!

Offline stevie747

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Engine kill switch wiring using Powerdynamo/Vape
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:15:08 AM »
Maybe how you've wired it hasn't included the circuit actually going through the kill switch.  I think it's possible to wire the powerdynamo system that doesn't even need the ignition switch turned on in order to have sparks  :o

If you drew out your wiring decision on a piece of paper it might give you a clue how it's getting feed regardless of your kill switch position.  Just make sure the power feed has no other way to the ignition system without it going through the kill switch.  ;)
74 RD350 (pre A), 74 RD350'R', 72 AT2, 97 Aprilia RS250, 73 Widowmaker (x2)... (and a Wes Cooley GS1000S Diesel for the missus)

Offline Milan

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: Engine kill switch wiring using Powerdynamo/Vape
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:47:03 PM »
In the later CD Ignitions for the 400F & G & E.
The Kill switch would go to ground when off, and be an open circuit in the " Run " position.
Opposite of the earlier models.

The 400E attached pdf shows the wiring.
Just do a trace & see if you can hook up similiar