Author Topic: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)  (Read 12104 times)

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2021, 06:16:38 PM »
I've been collecting a small spot of oil under Geneva every time she is parked. Coming from GoldWings, this will never do! Obviously from under the left cover in the drive sprocket area. I know these are often the neutral switch insulator is cracked, but mine seems Ok. What was not Ok was the forward blanking plug. It was blown halfway out. Tapped it back in and levered the other one home. But, that didn't fix it. After another couple weeks and oil spots, I pulled the left cover again today. The forward blanking plug was blown half-way out of the case. This time, I cleaned the plug and case well then Hondabond 4 on its periphery and tapped it back in. The rear blanking plug didn't look like it had moved. I have UV leak detector dye on order, and if spots reoccur I will add about 8-10 ml of it to the gearbox. I did check that the gearbox vent was clear, also.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
So far, plug staying in place.

A modification that I did not make to my original RD in the 70's was a louder horn. It would have just alerted Charleston drivers to nearby prey, anyway. Now they occasionally cause a driver to look up from whatever they are doing that is obviously NOT driving. The original Yamaha horn is barely more than a scooter horn. So, I went with a horn demonstrated to get attention - one from a GL1800 GoldWing! Was able to use the same bracket and wire connectors, but bent the bracket about 5 degrees more to clear a sound short to the frame.

Offline Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2021, 12:23:24 PM »
Yep, the original horn is a bit tinny in sound & definitely not very loud, so don’t blame you for upgrading.
Have you got a photo of the H item fitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RD400c now on the road
RD250b/c/d/e/f project
FS1E project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3
CRF-250L

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2021, 01:24:46 AM »
Yep, the original horn is a bit tinny in sound & definitely not very loud, so don’t blame you for upgrading.
Have you got a photo of the H item fitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure. Here it is from the side:

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2021, 10:07:34 PM »
Today is a holiday in the US, so I decided to take a little holiday ride. Not long, only about 50 miles but it was ove one of my favorite routes through Norris Dam State Park. The RD ran fantastic. I stopped about 10 miles from home and filled the tank.  Best I can figure, I am getting about 40 mpg.

I did a helmet video but it is very wind noisy (and it is aimed down at the clocks too much). Taking a long time to upload to YouTube, but I'll add a link once it is done. Nothing exciting, though. Which is kinda good!

Question for any that might know: is there a calibration to the oil tank dipstick grooves? Maybe an ounce per groove?

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2021, 10:40:17 PM »

Online Scullyh2

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
All I know is when the light comes on for the oil it'll take a quart :)