Author Topic: Historic bike status  (Read 86 times)

Offline Alistair64

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Historic bike status
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:05:51 PM »
My 200DX reaches its 40th birthday mid-August, so I'm wondering how long the process takes.
I'm guessing most of you have already reached this point and I see that it's a simple online DVLA form to complete.
I've held out getting my bike legal on the road because I don't think it's been worthwhile, given the short amount of time until no MOT or tax.
So...how long does the process take until you are given the go-ahead and how is it recorded?
Do you have to send off your log book?
Thanks.
1983 Candy red RD200DX Fahron-tuned Special with one-off Swarbrick pipes
1986 White/red Stephens-tuned RD350F1 YPVS - owned since 1987...yes, honestly!!

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Historic bike status
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 10:25:11 PM »
Read this.
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/vehicles-exempt-from-vehicle-tax
click on  - Historic vehicle tax exemption
So after birthday.
Fill in form V112. Then walk into a big Post office with this and your V5C. I believe you do not need insurance cover note unless in Northern Island. They will do it for you there and then. The modified V5C will eventually come back in post. You can ride your bike straight away. Obviously you need insurance and your bike must be up to MOT standard!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:54:43 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline zed1015

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:05 PM »
It won't be eligible until April next year.
So when the time comes.
Fill in the V5 to change tax class to historic.
Fill in a V112 for MOT exemption and take both to post office.
No insurance needed unless in Northern Ireland.
They will acknowledge the V112 and send off the V5.
A few weeks later you will get the updated V5 and then you can tax it online for free.

Offline Sarlat04

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 12:09:15 AM »
Hi,
My understanding is that it is exempt from MOT on the anniversary that it was registered so will not need an MOT from mid august but you will need to wait until the January following the 40th birthday until you can register for historic status and don't have to pay tax.
Rob

Offline NivagRD

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 06:47:00 AM »
I think I was lucky. DVLA sent me a letter, without me doing anything, to tell me it was now registered as historic. They even returned the road fund tax I had paid in error. This was pre the depths of the pandemic and I have heard DVLA have been struggling with a backlog, so not sure what the situation is today.  I would not rely on it just happening "automatically" but use the systems described by the guys who have already replied to your question. Best wishes, Gavin
1973 LS2, 1980 RD200DX, 2019 CB650R.

Offline Alistair64

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Thanks guys, but 4 slightly different answers here.
It seems to be a bit of a confusing area about when it actually happens and when you can ride the bike without MOT or tax, because the DVLA site does mention the following April, but is this a rolling next April year after year?
Think I'll just have to suck it and see, i.e. take the form and log book to a Post Office mid-August and see what happens  ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:19:18 AM by Alistair64 »
1983 Candy red RD200DX Fahron-tuned Special with one-off Swarbrick pipes
1986 White/red Stephens-tuned RD350F1 YPVS - owned since 1987...yes, honestly!!

Offline zed1015

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:58 AM »
It seems to be a bit of a confusing area about when it actually happens and when you can ride the bike without MOT or tax, because the DVLA site does mention the following April, but is this a rolling next April year after year?
For historic status the machine is only eligible if it became 40 years old before 1st January of this year and then you would have been able to send the V5 off to DVLA on the 1st of April or after.
Your machine is only 40 years this August which means you can't send off the V5 until April 2023.
In actual fact vehicles have to be a minimum of 40 years and 3 months old before they can apply for historic status .
Yours will be around 40 years and 8 months old.