Author Topic: No reverse  (Read 230 times)

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
No reverse
« on: June 21, 2022, 09:14:51 PM »
I sent to Scotland for a couple of years back. The roads are narrow on many places. There is a need to give space at meeting point. Some people ignore this. Were meeting some guys a few meters from a Wide space. All told me that their car were not equipped with reverse. We had some fun of that UK cars had reverse gear as optional extra
For a few days ago I met a Swede in a narrow section. He had a brand new BMW 5-series touring. Same story- No reverse. I told him my gearbox are broken. He has to help me push :-)
He went up on the sidewalk and passed there....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:23:01 PM by tore »
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: No reverse
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »
Unbelievable in 21st century. Actually the BMW manual does have a reverse next to first, but because it does not have a lift on the shift, people do not realize they need to push hard over to left to choose or they end up in first. Found that out on Hire care  ::)
After WW2 a load of 3 wheeler bubble cars came out classed as motorbikes with side car, so you could drive on motorcycle license and Learner plates.
BMW, Messerschmitt etc. However they were not allowed reverse gear in UK or they would be classed as cars! A plate was fitted on the gear selector to prevent the choice. No doubt soon removed  ;)
But on the Italian Isetta (the true Bubble and BMW bought the license), the entire front opened up as one big door complete with steering wheel and instruments attached. Great until you parked up in front of a wall and then realized you couldn't open the door and get out and you had no reverse   :o :o . Resolved by climbing out the fabric roof  ::). A bye the way, it had a Dynastart fitted same as the RD200's  ;)
102944-0
102946-1
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:25:03 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »
I am not sure but i heard being 2 strokes they overcame the no reverse gear by starting the engine in reverse
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
 Alexei Sayle

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 05:43:20 PM »
I am not sure but i heard being 2 strokes they overcame the no reverse gear by starting the engine in reverse
That is how reverse works in two stroke snowmobiles. Push a button and the engine turn in reverse 

Skickat från min S52 via Tapatalk

Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 06:48:55 PM »
Power came from a 236 cc (14.4 cu in), 7.1 kW (9.5 hp) split-single two-stroke motorcycle engine.[12] The engine was started by a combination generator-starter known as Dynastart. A manual gearbox provided four forward speeds and reverse. A chain drive connected the gearbox to a solid rear axle with a pair of closely spaced 250 mm (9.8 in) rear wheels. The first prototypes had one wheel at the rear, but having a single rear wheel made the car prone to roll-overs,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta
As I said UK reverse not allowed in UK, so even running the engine backwards not allowed. Strangely the UK BMW ones were assembled in Brighton, no doubt to reduce import tax!!

The Swiss are introducing their electric version of the Isetta called the Microlino  :o :o
https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:04:29 PM by Astute Greaser »