Author Topic: DVLA cock up!  (Read 713 times)

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
DVLA cock up!
« on: March 23, 2022, 07:19:44 PM »
So after getting a V5 for my Kawasaki C2TR, I was hopeful that I would soon have a V5 for my UK 1964 Suzuki M30. When I got the bike it had no V5 and it had been off the road so long the DVLA had no record of it. I sent them a dating certificate(thanks Paul) proof of registration in Dec 1964 from Hampshire Archives, photos of the bike, frame no, engine no, reg no, and the original sticker from the place it was sold.9which matched the original registration. Filled out an application and included the check for £25.00. Got the cheque back today saying it couldn't be processed by the scanner(seems to have got damaged somehow, and a seperate letter saying they are unable to process my application because they have no record of it and I need to provide evidence that the registration number belongs to the bike. I got no documents back so it seems like they have lost them. Oh dear, looks like I have to start all over again!!

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: DVLA cock up!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 08:24:43 PM »
Please say you have copies

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 08:37:28 PM »
Ha Ha. I thought I had copied all the paper work but can't find the dating certificate!! Seems like I need to fill out a V55/5 and a V765 which they kindly sent me, don't know why they didn't send my paper work back though.

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  I have said before, they are a shambles, like most UK Gov, IMO. I bet their paperwork came back with a "Certificate of Excellence" boast, self awarded. 

5port
5port

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
I am having a email conversation with them at the moment. Not sure how many times I need to explain what paper work I sent them. It is a shame because they were pretty quick with my Kawasaki C2.

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 12:52:24 PM »
Looks like I have to re-apply. They lost the paper work but won't admit it.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 01:23:46 PM »
I'm only guessing here but, like most large organisations now, they probably scan all correspondence upon receiving it and then the images are sent to teams/individuals to process. Original documents can be retrieved with the correct reference. However, it is very easy for correspondence to "fall down the cracks" in such a process.

If my theory is right, then I wonder if it is possible to get away with sending in a colour copy of an original overseas logbook, as opposed to the original? I doubt that the staff in the scanning department know (or even care) if they are dealing with an original or a copy document. This thought occurred to me yesterday when I sent off an original Danish logbook with the rest of the bumph to get my RD400 registered.

Edit - I didn't word this very well! I meant that the team or individual at DVLA processing the paperwork (ie not Joe Public) could retrieve original documents from the scanning archives, using their internal reference.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 06:59:04 PM by Gr8uncleal »
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
I think that if you send in the wrong form, which I possibly did, then the process goes no further. I got a damaged cheque back, don't know how it was damaged but looks like it was stamped on with hobnail boots, and two forms for me to fill out, but no original paperwork, ie dating certificate, proof of first reg, or photos. They say they didn't receive them, which is odd as they got the cheque and application form! This is a UK bike with no V5 which is not on there records.

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 06:54:49 PM »
Ha Ha. I thought I had copied all the paper work but can't find the dating certificate!! Seems like I need to fill out a V55/5 and a V765 which they kindly sent me, don't know why they didn't send my paper work back though.
Dont worry about the dating certificate, I will have a copy. come and see me at Popham.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:01:44 PM by Paul Dawkins »
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton

Offline ajh

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • theres always something bloody leaking!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »
They actually sent me a cover letter saying here are your documents including dating certificate but there was nothing other than their cover letter in the envelope. They have just ignored numerous emails asking them to send docs back. Cant get the enthusiasm up to call them about it!
in Chiswick, West London

77 RD250d(ex), 80 DT175mx, 81 4L0 350LC, 82 GS550Ez, 80 CB750F

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »
Cheers Paul. I will there selling a few bits. Will look out for you.

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 07:54:58 PM »
Yes it's pretty crap ajh. If they got my form and my cheque they must have got the rest, but for some reason they are denying it!

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
Update on my M30 registration. After the DVLA saying that they had not received any paper work from me to register my M30, but sending back my cheque (not sure how they got that but nothing else) I got fed up and forgot about trying to get the bike registered. I got back home on Monday after a long weekend, and lo and behold, the DVLA have sent back my paper work that they never received!! but they are saying they can't complete registration because I didn't get a dating certificate from a recognised club, despite me having two imports registered by them using Paul Dawkins dating certificates. What a bunch of idiots!!!

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 10:38:44 AM »
What a saga.  Just pleased you got your paperwork back!  Do press-on, and keep us updated!  :)

5port
5port

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 11:01:33 AM »
I know how you feel against these at the DVLA. Some years ago I had a problem with my licence, after changing address my licence came back without class A. I notified them of their mistake but they replied saying they had no record of me taking my bike test. I went to my solicitors and did a sworn affidafit but still no good, I took my test in 1969. In the end I wrote to them saying that I would abide by their decision on one condition otherwise I would take it as far as I could. The condition was, they pay for my new test to happen within the next week, They pay the difference in my insurance until it gets back to my current level, no claims, and they pay me for my inconvenience. They sent my my new licence with class A. Don't let them bully you, they work for the public, not for themselves.