Author Topic: RD250DX  (Read 838 times)

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
RD250DX
« on: September 17, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
Hi Guys, My Fuel tank is breaking up inside, unfortunately some years ago it was lined so will make redoing it much harder, I took it to a restoration place today and the guy said although it is possible to do it I may want to consider buying a new Replica tank apparently they are made in India. Has anybody any Idea where I can pick a new tank up before I go down the painstaking task of relining.

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD250DX
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
Welcome Daz!

I guess we're talking about the 1977 points model here - any photos? Marketing blurb did refer to it as a DX, but I think that its official designation is just 'D' - debates crop up from time to time on this point!  :o :D

Why not just buy a decent, used, sound one and, if not in the right colour, re-spray?

I have not heard of Indian repro tanks, but would be interested in seeing them.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:11:14 PM »
Hi, Thanks for your reply, Yes its a 77 Points model, though the Points have long gone and I have gone down the Electronic route. pic attached

Offline Kickstart

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • RD's ARE FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
the tanks from India are the round tanks for A/B models. they made these tanks for the Rajoot that were made in the old Yamaha factory in India
A/C HOOLIGAN

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 01:05:53 AM »
Can you tell what the liner is? Several of the liners (like Kreem) are readily dissolved in acetone. Pour a couple gallons in, change positions daily for a couple weeks, pour out the mess, rinse with another gallon and coat with 2 stroke oil.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
MEK is the stuff to dissolve it , but iut at a small fortune fror 250ml from tank care products labelled tank liner remover , or find it for a better price labeled ,
Methyl Ethyl Ketone

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
 Alexei Sayle

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Hi. Thanks for you reply, reckon your right, I have searched high and low and have found those tanks, I have emailed a couple of Indian companies and they are keen to get hold of my tank to copy it, (Cant see why :D :D :D) Don't want to be sending it out there though, Reckon I will be going down the painfull time consuming task of getting the old liner out, nice winter project!

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
Hi, no not sure what the liner is, the restoration guy who looked at it did say, but I have forgotten DOH! he did say its a cheaper one and it hadn't been done that well. will certainly try anything, thanks for the advice

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »
Hi, no not sure what the liner is, the restoration guy who looked at it did say, but I have forgotten DOH! he did say its a cheaper one and it hadn't been done that well. will certainly try anything, thanks for the advice
Try a little acetone in one place. It isn't instant, but in a few days will eat through a quite thick layer of Kreem. I discovered this when trying to open the intake screens for a GoldWing tank that someone had "fixed" with Kreem. Tried all sorts of solvents on the sides of the fuel level sender (yes, they had coated that, too). Found that a brand of spray carb cleaner worked well. It was primarily acetone. Tried straight acetone and it worked great. Then discovered how poorly the lining had been applied to the rest of the tank. I used 3 gallons (US) in a ~6 gallon tank. Took two weeks of keeping it warm (in the sun) and rolling so the each surface was disolved. Waste handling was the worst part. Poured out what looked like fully-spoiled milk with large "clots", strained (paint strainer) into other cans. Let the solids evaporate out and disposed as solid waste. Let the remainer stand in storage shed for a year to permit gravity to do its thing. Carefully poured off the clear fluid from the top and have re-used it on severe road grime cleanups. Did a flush of the tank with clean acetone (~1/2 gallon) and then attacked the remaining rust (he had used electrolysis method) clinging to the top of the tank mechanically with screws and stones shook around. Happily, the tank still did not leak, and in the seven or so years has had no leaks and delivers clean fuel (GL1000, with 4 carbs and 3 fuels jets per carb must have clean fuel!) I keep the tank filled, store the bike with fuel stabilizer in a heated room over the winter.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience it is very much appreciated, Sound like whatever I do it is a long winded process, but I am patient guy and as we enter the cold winter months I shall make it my business to clear the tank, I will certainly give the acetone a try. Thanks again!

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience it is very much appreciated, Sound like whatever I do it is a long winded process, but I am patient guy and as we enter the cold winter months I shall make it my business to clear the tank, I will certainly give the acetone a try. Thanks again!
I did a tank with a kit from Tank care products once , i simply ppoured in the tank sealer remover shook it around left it an hour and the old liner came out in smallish flakes    https://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
 Alexei Sayle

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »
A bit late of a reply but where does it leak???

Its quite common for coffin tanks to be hard bolted down at the back so the vibration up thru the frame will crack the edges of the spot welds around the rear mount brackets

Tanks need to simply sit on the rubber mounts with the bolts no more than finger tight
 --  Articles always needed

Offline Daz1970

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »
Hi, Thanks for your reply, Its funny you should say about the bolts at the back of the tank, I ended up taking my tank to a restoration place in Southampton and my tank was starting to crack in that place, the guy said that those tanks were notorious for that, anyway the long and short of it is that he took my tank right back to metal, sorted out the weak sports and lined the tank with an epoxy liner, just need to get a respray now....... I am taking advantage of the bike in bits and taking advantage of the long winter nights with all sorts of other jobs.....Pic of tank attached.....Roll on next spring.... Got my Well A'rd a few weeks back, Cracking mag. THANKS