Author Topic: How much power does your RD have?  (Read 540 times)

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
How much power does your RD have?
« on: October 24, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Hello all, having spent an afternoon at the Dyno checking my settings and fueling I got to wondering what sort of power other people are seeing from their RDs.

From standard bikes to race tuned monsters what sort of BHP are we seeing.

I've attached the print out from my RD400 as a starter.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:54:06 AM by stuzx4r »

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: How much power does your RD have?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:23:30 AM »
Your attachment not available.  You could repost please?

5port
5port

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
thanks for the heads-up on the attachment 5port, hopefully this one will work.

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »
Not seen your Dyno print yet, they are mainly for comparison on development and checking jetting IMO. :)
  Seeing many tests and posted readouts over the decades, it would certainly seem that a standard bike in great mechanical condition will make just about the makers claims for power output, or just below.
Modified engines can be just about anything.  I had a tuned 400E with Nikon race pipes and race ported cylinders that pulled to 10k(+!) and easy shot past 100mph with no end in sight! But, it was unridable on normal roads, it would not pull past 5000rpm except in 1st gear, there was only moped power below 6,000, so you had to run 6000+ like a racer or, below 5000 like a moped.  ::)
Common lore shows top-tuned race 400's might make 70bhp but, they are expensive, and short life.  Mick Abbey does some great tunes, I believe he did a 400 recently with a cylinder tune and pipes that made 60bhp.  Mick's tune for the RD350 makes about 50bhp @8000 with his pipes, and that is great for the road.  I run his cylinders on my track RD350 but with some 350LC race pipes and it is fast.  The good thing about Mick's tune is that it is good for road use.  Even with my high rpm biased pipes, it is fine for road use.
Hope your graph will post again.
Cheers

5port   
5port

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »
Your graph showing now.  Yes, looks like good power for 8300.   :)

5port 
5port

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 03:50:51 PM »
Hi Stu,

May I ask who s doing your dyno tuning for you please?

Thank you

Phil

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »
Hi Phil, windy shed classics in Liverpool. A small business who deal primarily with race bikes. 

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 07:45:15 PM »
Update on the Mick Abbey 400E, gave 63bhp with Mick's road tune pipes and jetting, the rest standard.  Don't know the revs but I believe below 8500. 

Cheers

5port
5port

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »
Hi 5port, that's very similar to mine. 400D ported barrels, single carb and micron pipes. 67.3 BHP @ 8382 and 42.7 ft-lbs.
I think the pipes are holding it back a little so I will be looking to try a different set for comparison.

Cheers.

Offline D Peacock

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
My 350 in it's current spec (ish). Mick Abbey pipes and tune on Mick's Dyno.

It's running different heads and slightly softer timing at the moment and gave about 50bhp earlier this year when we chucked it on to check the jetting and also try different reeds.

To clarify - the red curve is the original one from the first build with the JL pipes.

For speed add lightness!

GSXR1100 - Big boy’s bike
GSXR400RKSP - Track / Race bike
YR5 - 52bhp - Ported RD barrels, 28mm carbs, Mick Abbey pipes, Powerdynamo with Zeeltronic DC controller, premix, Euro CR 6 speed box.
GT200X5 - Bog standard.

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
Hi Phil, windy shed classics in Liverpool. A small business who deal primarily with race bikes.

Stu,

Thank you,

Phil

Offline [Arrow]

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 06:45:05 PM »
Hi 5port, that's very similar to mine. 400D ported barrels, single carb and micron pipes. 67.3 BHP @ 8382 and 42.7 ft-lbs.
I think the pipes are holding it back a little so I will be looking to try a different set for comparison.

Cheers.
Single carb. That's very interesting, it obviously works. Just wondering why it's not more widely used? Much easier to set up too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »
The single carb definitely made making changes far easier both on my initial set-up and whilst tweaking things on the dyno. ;D

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »
One issue that Yamaha spoke about was cooling and reliability of the aircooled parallel twin.  They thought that about 55bhp was a reliable limit for the TR3.  That presumably allowed for full power racing in high temperature conditions.  We know that higher powers were reliably achieved from TR3's at International and G.Prix racing.  Aircooled 350's were successful at places like the IOM TT and Daytona 200 etc, where long periods of full throttle were involved, sometimes at high ambient temperatures. 
The reserve of cooling in an aircooled engine is not huge, they generally run at higher top-end temps than a liquid cooled engine to start with.  However, for aircooled RD's etc making more than 55bhp,  I suspect that in circumstances where full throttle is not held for more than about 50% of the time and for not more than 15 seconds between full throttle reduction, we can get away with it.  :)  But, there is a ragged edge there!  ???
Cheers

5port   
5port

Offline stuzx4r

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 06:15:41 PM »
Hi 5port, I agree cooling under hard use could be an issue on an aircooled bike, thankfully for me as I no longer race I tend to potter about with the odd burst of full throttle for fun.

1500 miles on this set up so far, fingers crossed for continued reliability.