General > Torque Introduction

Morning all, new here but not new to RDs

(1/2) > >>

general_piffle:
Morning all, new here but not new to RDs. In fact, they were completely formative to my last 30+ years of riding motorbikes.

My first ever 'proper' bike was a red air-cooled RD125DX twin. I did a lot of tinkering with it, and got it into a really good place. Such a fun bike. I ended up in Australia for 6 months travelling and working as an 18 year old and my transport there was an RD250 (again air-cooled), which never let me down and was immense fun to ride. I rode this on a UK provisional licence because in Australia at the time you could still ride up to a 250 on a provisional licence (law had already changed to 125 in the UK). When returning to the UK I got an RD350LC, which was the first and only bike I've ever ridden up to the TT. Again, an awesome bike.

I now have a couple of older bikes, a Ducati 900SS IE, and a Suzuki GSX1100 Katana, but I've always had a hankering for an RD400. So, I'm thinking about very slowly getting all the bits together that I need to build a special, not worried about matching numbers etc. Planning the following mods:

De-tabbed frame
Satin black wheels (just the standard mags powder coated)
Piggyback rear shocks
Progressive springs in standard forks
Drilled rotors
Different seat (I’ve found one I like)
Black expansion chambers
Pod filters on the carbs
Boysen reeds
Rear sets
Electronic ignition
Metmachex ally swing arm
Yellow, black, white Kenny Roberts paint

That's the idea anyway! Thought this would be a good place to join :)

tore:
Welcome.

All good except for the pod filters. Usually asking for trouble with those....

Skickat från min Nokia XR20 via Tapatalk

Motty:
Welcome to the Forum, non standard bikes are very welcome here, we would love to follow your progress.
If you have a dig down into the Restoration Section you will find other people's ideas on building Specials
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

general_piffle:

--- Quote from: tore on October 10, 2022, 11:46:19 AM ---Welcome.

--- End quote ---

Oh, really tore? In what way? I remember having them on my 125 and it didn't seem to upset it. But happy to hear your thoughts.

tore:

--- Quote from: general_piffle on October 10, 2022, 12:29:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: tore on October 10, 2022, 11:46:19 AM ---Welcome.

--- End quote ---

Oh, really tore? In what way? I remember having them on my 125 and it didn't seem to upset it. But happy to hear your thoughts.

--- End quote ---
You disturb the dynamics in the carbs so you might fall down into a re-jetting rabbit hole...
I have replaced the pods with a proper air-box so maybe not the right person to discuss what is needed to get the bike run clean with pods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version