Author Topic: Hello from St. Leonards, East Sussex  (Read 546 times)

Offline Whitey

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Hello from St. Leonards, East Sussex
« on: December 28, 2021, 09:42:46 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve just become a member after I bought a RD250 1976. It’s not a standard machine and there is much to discover. I’ve just cleared space in the garage to delve into it, so I’ll know more soon.
What I do know already is it has 350 barrels and is in a fairly grubby state.

Possibly, thinking the first job will be just a quick look and wipe over, new fluids and I’ll see how the engine is running.
Although, I’m in two minds weather to run it or give it a good going over first, clean carbs, heads off and a full service checking the oil pump. It’ll need a bit of work to the running gear to get it roadworthy.

I’d love to hear any opinions on which way to go….

Thanks to all who’s posts I’ve already learned so much from and all who’s posts I’ve yet to read. Great forum and I’m really looking forward to getting this bike running.

Pics to follow…

Best
Kev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Whitey

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Hello from St. Leonards, East Sussex
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 10:06:22 PM »

These are the ad pics which I bought it from… as usual it looks nicer in the pics than in the flesh.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 08:02:45 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy your RD.
Is it in your garage now, or are you waiting for it to arrive?
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:05:52 AM »
Welcome from someone who lived in Bexhill many, many years ago!

Clean fuel, make sure that the oil pump does pump and then see if and how it runs.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Whitey

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 08:25:19 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy your RD.
Is it in your garage now, or are you waiting for it to arrive?
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Thanks, and it’s in the garage now. I’m just looking at it at the mo. I struggled to get it on my Abba stand and so am on the look out fir a centre stand, as that might be easier for the initial prep.

Offline Whitey

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 08:26:34 AM »
Welcome from someone who lived in Bexhill many, many years ago!

Clean fuel, make sure that the oil pump does pump and then see if and how it runs.
Roger that, thanks

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 10:30:39 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. It depends on what your plans are. If you are stripping the motor down then it is not necessary to start it at this point, but if you want to start it before hand, take the plugs out and check the coloration, then turn the motor over with the plugs still out and check for unusual noises and free movement. If all good then make sure you have clean fuel, oil pump is delivering ok and make sure you have a spark then she should fire up ok if the timing is correct. I myself would at least have the top end off just to make sure before starting but the choice is yours. Good luck and hope you enjoy your new bike.

Online pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
With stock pipes, it should accommodate a standard center stand. And there should be plenty available due to people taking them off for chambers. I would look at two things before attempting a ride: make sure both front and rear brakes work well, and check the tire age. I've purchased several old bikes with tiresold enough to vote! Stamping on the sides can be converted to build date - don't go by tread depth.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
With stock pipes, it should accommodate a standard center stand. And there should be plenty available due to people taking them off for chambers. I would look at two things before attempting a ride: make sure both front and rear brakes work well, and check the tire age. I've purchased several old bikes with tiresold enough to vote! Stamping on the sides can be converted to build date - don't go by tread depth.
Fully agree about the tyres (tires). More worrying, while tyre changes will have occurred over the years, it could have the original inner tubes  :-X I now replace as matter of course. Its only a few quid (dollars) and not worth risking a blowout

Offline Whitey

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
Thanks, all wise words and noted.

My initial aim is not a full rebuild or return to std. I’m thinking period mods and a rat bike look… which sort of fits my naturally lazy aesthetic.

I guess I’m after the quick buzz of firing it up but it’s not going anywhere fast due to brakes and tyres (as mentioned) so top end off makes more sense. Esp as it has the 350 barrels