Author Topic: Fuel issues from New Zealand  (Read 122 times)

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Fuel issues from New Zealand
« on: July 12, 2021, 12:42:09 PM »
Below is a copy of a post on another forum from a chap in New Zealand.

I don't know the ins and outs of the composition of the fuel that they have to use, but might be worth filing this info for future reference.

Just a bit of useless info.
A while ago i had to unblock the jets on my DT1, a job i hate doing but our crap fuel just makes a hell of a mess if left for 6 months or so. Bike ran good for a few months then got left parked mostly. But recent use had it being so lean on the needle i had to choke it through to get above it. Got the better of me so went looking. Couldn't find what i thought was the cause--nothing blocked--i thought. Ended up the powdery blue stuff was growing all the way up the needle jet internally where the needle slides. looking up from the bottom i couldn't see the metering step near the top. So started scratching by revolving a splitpin & all this blue stuff kept coming out, so kept going until clean & she's all good again. Was effectively trying to meter it & restrict it all the way up the needle. Needle jet looked good externally after removal but not internally. It's a 32mm off an RT1 on that, but same carb design as original 26mm or whatever they were, only bigger. So there's always something new to catch us out.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Fuel issues from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
I think it is wise to empty the float bowls before you leave the bike for any longer time.
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Fuel issues from New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:54 PM »
I think it is wise to empty the float bowls before you leave the bike for any longer time.
+1 always do!