Author Topic: From bits to bike - RD250B rebuild  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: From bits to bike - RD250B rebuild
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I last worked on the RD. Real life and work simply got in the way. But I managed to get back to it this weekend.....and the truth is there isn't much left to do!

The bike's insured, and the application for MOT and road tax exemption is with the DVLA (and is taking ages due to COVID).

I don't have many questions left to ask of you all, it really is that close to completion. But it's not all the way there, so!

Does anyone have any tips on headlight aiming?
And does anyone have any ideas about horn adjustment so it actually works?

Almost there!  ;) ;D

As Motty said, original headlights were more to be seen by others, than to see with,  :o and Cibie headlights were a popular upgrade.

Someone might chime in with a known upgrade using a car headlight etc. If not, keep an eye out on fleabay for new or used Cibies (now known as Valeo) for use on UK models, or a more modern light that could be adapted to fit.

Regarding the horn, first up I'd try the small adjusting screw/bolt that there should be on it - screw it in and out and see if there is any difference. If not, you can take the horn apart, either by undoing the 5 or 6 screws or grinding away the rivets (which you can re-rivet, or replace with screws and nuts etc). Take photos as you go, so that you know the correct reassembly order!

Inside you will find a set of contact breaker points - clean the faces of these, together with any other contacts that might be dirty, and you should be good to go.

You can bench test the horn before reassembly, direct from a battery (doesn't matter what terminal is connect to what) - it is quite amusing to see it leap around when power is supplied!  :o :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:32:37 AM by Gr8uncleal »
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline Tailchaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
Can you get a halogen conversion for the 250B (Yambits maybe) ? If you can then you could put an H4 LED headlight 'bulb' in there. I've got a Auxito Motorcycle LED in mine and it's really good, you can almost see where you're going at night!

Cheers,

Jeff
RD250E

Offline [spokes]

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2021, 11:04:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I didn't mean to drop off the radar on this, but work and life got in the way of turning spanners!

The bike is ready now, sat in my shed bring to go. I made the mistake of sending off the V5 to the DVLA for MOT and tax exemption. That was 3 months ago, no reply. Have tried calling and emailing, but no response.

Looks like it will be a while until she's on the road. Very disappointing to have come this far to be stopped by bureaucracy!

Offline craigt

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
  • resoland1@outlook.com
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
Hey Spokes enjoyed reading your quest bits to bikes I have been sorting out my 1975 rd 350 for a couple years now. I feel your short comings and triumphs! It is a lot of work and dedication such a challange when you do not have precise information. I am getting real close myself but not there yet. wish you the best of luck with your project ride on!!

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2021, 01:04:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

I didn't mean to drop off the radar on this, but work and life got in the way of turning spanners!

The bike is ready now, sat in my shed bring to go. I made the mistake of sending off the V5 to the DVLA for MOT and tax exemption. That was 3 months ago, no reply. Have tried calling and emailing, but no response.

Looks like it will be a while until she's on the road. Very disappointing to have come this far to be stopped by bureaucracy!

Well done.  ;)

I read that DVLA have a massive backlog at the moment.

Change of category of vehicle is usually done at the Post Office when you tax it, not through DVLA so, even when you do hear back from them, it might be to tell you to deal through a Post Office.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

Don’t really need the V5 doc for much....just need the document number....
I always copy the docs so you can proceed . What are you actually stuck with? If you go to tax it on line it will refund you once it realises you are 40+ years.
The automatic part of DVLA works ok at the mo...just the people /situation are the problem..
Rev 'em till they rattle