Author Topic: Tony2strokes 250LC project  (Read 2877 times)

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Tony2strokes 250LC project
« on: September 12, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »
I keep changing my mind like the wind on this bike, but I do have a new clear plan now  ::)

Thought I would start a new thread for anyone interested.

I had a good day today, put some reed cages with bridge removed and some 0.40 carbon fibre reeds I cut from a Malossi reed sheet, some YPVS manifolds, LC cages modified to fit YPVS manifolds as the great EDD ERLENBACH recommends with 5mm spacer to help the boost port, and some cheap 30mm PWK Chinese carbs from ebay, with Dynajet jets fitted, they are same fitment and I have loads of them, Ramair filters (long ones) also used 2 x 125LC boost bottles, I have been pleasantly surprised, it started 2nd kick, a little adjusting of tickover and sounded lovely, took it down my back lane, Yeeha, as soon as it hit the power band the rear wheel just span on the gravel, revved right up nicely and fast too, seams I am close already with the jetting, very very happy with it.

I have also put a digital speedo on it, going to use a Harley XR750 style seat unit too.

Taking everything off I can to loose as much weight as possible, run it on premix so I don't need the oil pump and tank, anything not essential will go.

Here are some pics of it so far, sorry forgot to take pics of modified reed cages before I fitted them, ah well, can't remember everything.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Tony2strokes 250LC project
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
Done a little more today, fitted my Microns  ;D  fitted new alloy side stand, and offered up the new seat unit to see what its going to look like, still got to work out fixing it yet though (I do have a cunning plan) got a front light with LED indicators in it, also have a rear LED light with indicators in, anything to loose as much weight as possible, I want everything fitting and working right before I strip it, clean and paint it, don't want to have to alter anything when all painted and cleaned up.

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »
Good work!
From that pic it seems will look much better and be lighter once you loose the rear subframe and the last section of the mudguard. 😁
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »
Thanks P!!!

Every little helps as they say at Tesco, that rear sub frame is on the list of parts to go, lift handle and seat locks, the rear mudguard and rear footpeds too, front peds are quite heavy too, so looking at others, and maybe an alloy kick start, I am looking at everything none essential going and anything I can replace with lighter bits the better, I recon I have shed a lot of weight from it already, should wheelie well when its done  :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:50:55 PM by tony2stroke »

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
Chain conversation is probably the biggest weight saver...not just be because of actually weight but it’s reduction in rotating mass to greatly aids fast spin up. Need a few pennies though...but not too many.
Norbo also does a lightened rotor but I’ve got one you could borrow if you wanted to do back to back comparisons.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »
Chain conversation is probably the biggest weight saver...not just be because of actually weight but it’s reduction in rotating mass to greatly aids fast spin up. Need a few pennies though...but not too many.
Norbo also does a lightened rotor but I’ve got one you could borrow if you wanted to do back to back comparisons.

Do you mean to belt drive ? hadn't crossed my mind, what would I need ? something else to think about, I am in no rush "yet"

I am even going to take the gubins out of the speedo drive, and tacho drive, to loose the rolling resistance as I don't need them with the digital speedo, again not a lot, but everything together should make a massive difference.

A Norbo flywheel is on my list of wanted too, even if just for the weight loss, I know its not a lot, but it all adds up doesn't it.

It already feels much better than my last standard LC, and seams quicker to rev out too.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »
Good to see you back on this Tony. I got some turned alloy footrests off eBay, they are a straight swap with the originals but weigh about 75% less. Belt drive on an LC? New one to me!

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:55:37 PM »
Hi Alex, yeah! about time I got something done aye, You know what its like m8 being in a similar position to me, haven't had much time to do anything on it, had a lot of bits to buy too, and as I have to sell standard bits to buy the new bits I want its taking some time, and I keep changing my mind, I do have a clear plan though at last, trying to get going on it now, an hour here and there, its TAX and MOT exempt in Jan 21, so will be easy to get registered then too, hoping it will be ready by then, maybe not painted and polished by then, (most likely not) but working right I hope, but you never know.

I don't know if P was on about belt drive, but can't think of another conversion that could be lighter, waiting for confirmation from P on it now, and a list of bits needed, may be able to afford if not tooo expensive.

Could you post a link to those peds for me to have a look at please, standard ones are like a brick either side, also will the right one still fold up to start it.

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »
Chain conversation 620 to 520 or whatever ...not belt conversion...
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:42 PM »
I thought the chain was 530 on LC.

You did make me wonder about a conversion, I know some bigger bikes use belts.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »

Online pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »
I think that belts need a larger radius drive than the case could handle, but might work.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
I think that belts need a larger radius drive than the case could handle, but might work.

Well, its tweaked my brain, can't help but wonder about it now, the Kawasaki 305 had similar performance and used a belt drive, plenty of research to do on it now  ;D you never know, may be worth a go, belts are not cheap though and not available for that bike anymore, did also look at Yamaha virago but same problem, you can get them made, but again pricey, I will keep looking in to it though, another thing to keep me busy.

Online pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »

Well, its tweaked my brain, can't help but wonder about it now, the Kawasaki 305 had similar performance and used a belt drive, plenty of research to do on it now  ;D you never know, may be worth a go, belts are not cheap though and not available for that bike anymore, did also look at Yamaha virago but same problem, you can get them made, but again pricey, I will keep looking in to it though, another thing to keep me busy.
Kevlar belts are available in all different sizes. Pretty standard in industry.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"