Author Topic: international shipping  (Read 2353 times)

Offline dave radley

• Back Lane Scratcher
international shipping
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:44:56 PM »
Hi ,was wondering if anybody had a idea about tax/duty Iwould have to pay on items purchased in taiwan , The cost would be approx £70 including shipping,many thanks
Scanialad

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
Re: international shipping
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »
As far as I  can tell there  are currently no customs charges on items under £135 coming from outside the EU but the carrier may charge a fee for "presenting your item through customs" so just a money making exercise because they do Jack S**t. Royal mail for example charge £8.00 per item.  BUT you will have to pay at the minimum 20% Vat on that amount so for arguments sake we have £70 + £8 = £78 = 20% V.a.t  comes to £93.60.  Other carriers may charge differently for "their services" so the price may change a bit
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline dave radley

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:27:57 AM »
thanks for your reply , soon goes from reasonable to daylight robbery in a flash , so at least ive a idea what to expect, many thanks
Scanialad

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 07:49:06 AM »
As far as I  can tell there  are currently no customs charges on items under £135 coming from outside the EU but the carrier may charge a fee for "presenting your item through customs" so just a money making exercise because they do Jack S**t. Royal mail for example charge £8.00 per item.  BUT you will have to pay at the minimum 20% Vat on that amount so for arguments sake we have £70 + £8 = £78 = 20% V.a.t  comes to £93.60.  Other carriers may charge differently for "their services" so the price may change a bit

I've had no carrier charge me a fee for an item under £135 with no VAT raised when it goes through customs - this includes Royal Mail, Hermes and Yodel.

I'm not sure how either HMRC or a carrier would know whether or not VAT has been paid on an overseas purchase under £135, given that the vendor would complete the CN22 customs declaration form in an identical way, whether they sold an item through, say, fleabay, or direct.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »
Actually I have noticed that some items priced on ebay have charges or V.A.T  added automatically at the point of sale.  All getting very confusing??
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
Actually I have noticed that some items priced on ebay have charges or V.A.T  added automatically at the point of sale.  All getting very confusing??
If you buy something on ebay the local VAT rules apply. You might get additional VAT added when you import depending on the rules in the receiving country.
Some sellers on ebay use the ebay global shipping program. In that case all import fees will be added at the purchase.
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:06 AM »

Things changed 01/01/2021. Given that fleabay, the US and Canada are all affected, I think that it is just coincidence that Brexit was the same date.

By and large, items up to £135 are now cheaper overall, although the fleabay international shipping programme now looks quite expensive.  :o
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »
If you buy something on ebay the local VAT rules apply. You might get additional VAT added when you import depending on the rules in the receiving country.
Some sellers on ebay use the ebay global shipping program. In that case all import fees will be added at the purchase.

Not quite correct Tore (well, not here in the UK anyway!).

On items up to £135, fleabay add VAT at 20% (ie the UK rate), regardless of where it is bought from, even the US (which doesn't have its own VAT rate). The vendor doesn't see any of this taking place.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 09:56:38 AM »

On items up to £135, fleabay add VAT at 20% (ie the UK rate), regardless of where it is bought from, even the US (which doesn't have its own VAT rate). The vendor doesn't see any of this taking place.
Is that not what the global shipping program does?
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »

Is that not what the global shipping program does?

Up to 31/12/2020, yes. However, fleabay charges VAT on all overseas purchases now, regardless of the postage method.

I suspect, but can't be certain, that this is similar to what they do for sales between states within the US, where each state sets its own taxes (I remember reading on a US forum a while back about residents of some states having to pay tax that they didn't previously have to).
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 11:38:36 AM »
Yes, at one time here in Tennessee (9.75% "sales" tax on ALL purchases, no state taxes on wages), buying eBay or even Amazon was a great savings as no taxes were charged. Then it became an honor system where you were supposed to keep track and add up annual purchases not taxed and send the state a check, then eBay one year sent a total email. Finally Amazon followed by eBay and the others began automatically tacking it on. I've purchased so little from Alibaba (AliExpress) that I've not noticed their practices.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
I use this site to calculate the duty and taxes, haven't bought anything from over seas for a while though, HTH.

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Offline dave radley

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
good after   afternoon , Ionly want to purchase some parts , you need a degree to understand it all . surely there doesnt need to be so many variables .Going to purchase the items in a while , so will find put soon , thanks to all that contributed .
Scanialad

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 01:37:37 PM »
good after   afternoon , Ionly want to purchase some parts , you need a degree to understand it all . surely there doesnt need to be so many variables .Going to purchase the items in a while , so will find put soon , thanks to all that contributed .

Definitely post here how you get on, Dave.

Did you say if you were buying direct from a company's website or through a third party (eg fleabay)?
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline dave radley

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 10:29:17 PM »
sorry for the slow reply , I am buying through fleabay , yes will keep you informed as it pans out
Scanialad