Author Topic: New owner in Chicago  (Read 783 times)

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
New owner in Chicago
« on: December 07, 2022, 04:11:38 PM »
Bought a 75 which was located in Phoenix AZ. Has some mods, needs work which is what I wanted. I bought this so my son and I can turn wrenches and so later he can take it over. It's not stock, and no org parts came with, so we will turn it into our form of a cafe bike, per-se. If it was org, I would not touch it, but I'm also the type of guy that can't leave well enough alone, I like mods, that's why I bought this one.
Lots of questions to come, first motorcycle I have ever owned. Ridden a bunch back in the day, that includes at least 10 different rd's as all my friends had them, and even an ypvs rd500. I'm old now, speed is fun, in short bursts.
Bear with this newb.
Thx.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 03:50:28 PM by rd4me »
1975 RD350

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: New owner in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 04:22:43 PM »
Welcome.

Great to see different generations working on these old bikes together.

When you get a moment, photos of the bike would be good.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »
Pix attached.
1975 RD350

Offline Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »
Welcome to the club, your 350 looks great.
You should find this forum very informative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RD400c now on the road
RD250b/c/d/e/f project
FS1E project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3
CRF-250L

Offline GSXRDman

• fragster
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 05:23:14 PM »
Welcome to the club, your 350 looks great.
You should find this forum very informative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, that looks like my GF's RD350.  The rims I bought off ebay.  The rear is a tight fit.  The front hub had to be machined a tad to fit the RD350 brake rotor...I think it was a yamaha 650 hub?

INTAKE:  crossover is banshee.  Very good for initial takeoff.  I don't know if i "ported the intake to the crossover tube, but definitely helps for part throttle cruising.  Only buy banshee intake manifolds as the rib on the crossover fits snugly inside the manifolds (made for it)...i also like using only banshee / RZ350 clips to hold the manifold in place.  The manifolds are NOT a direct fit, so you have to "dremel" OFF the dog ears to fit on the reed cage being EXTRA careful not to grind away the built in o-ring seal on the manifold.  I usually tape over w/ electrical tape to protect while removing dog ears.

CARBS:  I believe the innards are not modified to DAve Freist mods

BARS: Stock Z1000 bars....perfect for the RD

Exhaust:  J&R exhaust...good for low end.  My GF likes these.  However, if it was me....I would probably go Spec II Classics.  I was using silicone / marine tape to seal the slip fit joints from header to exhaust...hate that slip fit.  Only lasts for a couple weeks and you gotta seal it again.  Another reason I like the spec IIs.  However the J&Rs  and that seat make it look like a small Norton....hey Norton!

The ignition (it's been AWHILE) I think is a XR700, single dual spark coil (the ignition prefers a 3 to 4 ohm resistance coil, I think I bought a 4 ohm off ebay for the 400, since I have the CRANE cams version of the XR700)...I'm not sure if it is the earlier Allison XR700 or the CRANE cams XR700.  you can probably still find the Crane cams version on ebay or Summit Racing online.

Mark (engineer) is the man to talk to about the XR700 ignition, since he pioneered it for the RDs....cheapest electronic parts ignition to buy.   I took a fender washer and had that trimmed down and pie cut for the triggers and had a machinist weld it the stock points cam.

I think economy cycle now sells a dial indicator (worth the cost) that fits UNDER the tank (read: small) to time the bike w/,. 

IMPORTANT:  Regarding timing, you need to "shield" the alternator area from LIGHT....the trigger is sensitive to light and will not time right if directly exposed.  I take a USPS cardboard letter thing and wrap it around that area to keep light OUT!  you also need to GROUND one of the spark plugs while timing.  so one  plug is out and grounded w/ alligator clips and the dial indicator is in the other hole that needs to be timed.  I static timed the bike w/ a battery charger hooked up, only turning the key to on position to rotate the dial indicator counter clockwise from 3 turns clockwise from TDC.  All this using a zenon strobe (for engine running only) timing gun hooked up to battery and spark plug.  For "static" time:  listen for spark from grounded spark plug while slowly turning rotor w/ key on and kill switch to run position.  With the strobe, obviously BOTH spark plugs are back in the engine w/ zenon hooked up and bike running.

Make sure you go to 2strokeworld.net and ask for MARK.   Tell him you are a COMPLETE noob and need DETAILED instructions on how to work/time the ignition.  It's been awhile since I've worked or talked about RDs.

Judy has a BRAND NEW NOS OEM 1975 RD350 Tank in the original box.  She might be keen to sell it.   Talk about rare, but won't go cheap!

and the RZ350 sits in the garage for years...maybe some day I'll get around to it.

Meanwhile the 140,000 mile Z1000 kawasaki keeps going!

peace,

kevin b.  Battle Ground, WA

The UK guys must try out Johnston Ridge and Windy Ridge Mt. Saint Helens.   Wind River, Curly Creek Old man pass...my favorite run is Carson, WA to Cougar, WA and back home toBattle Ground.   Johnston Ridge is like a high elevation Isle of Man..FS90 from Cougar is my regular haunt to Pine Creek Ranger station.  Then there's ORegon and around Mt. Hood...fun.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 08:40:36 PM by GSXRDman »

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:53 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the info! I have the bike somewhat ripped apart. Going to paint it myself, same color, add different seat, yada, yada... It's getting cold here, so within 2 weeks, the non-heated garage will be out of limits, and it will hibernate until spring. This will end of being my son's bike later on, can't wait to hear the flak he will get when he pulls up in smokey joe at high school. I received your pm. I will snap pics of the coil, ignition, etc. when I start putting it back together and I'm getting ready to fire it up again. Hopefully you can give me some more insight. When I first saw the ignition (replaced clutch cable), I thought what in the holy heck is this? lol.
One other thing, for some reason I can't register on 2stroke, no idea what is up, tried 3 times, therefore I can't reach out to the person who designed the ignition. The person I bought it from said once in a blue moon it would start in reverse, thinks the timing is too far advanced, but he never adjusted it. Thats also what I read in a few other posts.  Now, if this is an inherited flaw in regard to this type of ignition, then maybe I should dump it? I can see my son not picking up on this and all hell breaks loose.
My best friend had a rd400, then kz650 (which I crashed), then a 900, then a 1000. Then a gs1000, bored to 1100.  He still talks about the kz.
Thanks again.
1975 RD350

Offline GSXRDman

• fragster
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
yes.   the ignition occasionally start backward.  I got around that by looking at the tach.  If the tach does NOT move, KILL it and then kick it over again until the tach is moving.

Otherwise, you might do a face plant.   Advise your son, if you plan on stll using the ignition.  otherwise you have a cool reverse, in case you need it.   Just do a lazy kick :)  I did notice the bike have a tendency to short stall over bumps, so yeah....might be a good idea.

I believe on 2Strokeworld.net, VIntage Smoke used a Dyna ignition and got a work around for that, so you might want to try his ignitions.

Another reason you might not have been able to logon is that your handle may already be taken.  Your handle "rd4me" sounds familiar, so if someone has it...that may be the case.  In any event, if you can't still logon w/ a NEW name, contact me via my hotmail and i'll e-mail Mark to get you onboard.

One thing Mark tried was to reverse pie cut the washer to combat this.  Read: pie cut larger, back cut it, so to speak.  Wasn't a big issue for me, but you have to be conscious of this every time you start it.

Offline GSXRDman

• fragster
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 06:06:07 PM »
I just checked.   The handle you want is already taken.

Try  faceplantRD

Just kidding.  hehee.

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »
In regard to the ignition which looks somewhat like the Dyna S system, I read that to combat the start in reverse syndrome would be to cut the openings larger? Now, this sounds like it "might" be a fix, same with timing. But how in the heck do you know how much to cut and where, so to speak. I'm pretty good with a dremel, but this would be pretty much an eye-ball thing.
I have not taken the case off since I replaced the cable, but I found a pic of what the innards look like, and I think it's a pix you took a long time ago that was on another site (handle was holypiston). When you time this system am I correct in assuming that since it's a wasted spark device, that you set timing only on say cylinder one? The pix I found looks like there is only one adjustment point.
Thanks for checking on that handle, I was surprised it wasn't taken here. I'll try again, and I do like, faceplant. lol

1975 RD350

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
In regard to the ignition which looks somewhat like the Dyna S system, I read that to combat the start in reverse syndrome would be to cut the openings larger? Now, this sounds like it "might" be a fix, same with timing. But how in the heck do you know how much to cut and where, so to speak. I'm pretty good with a dremel, but this would be pretty much an eye-ball thing.
I have not taken the case off since I replaced the cable, but I found a pic of what the innards look like, and I think it's a pix you took a long time ago that was on another site (handle was holypiston). When you time this system am I correct in assuming that since it's a wasted spark device, that you set timing only on say cylinder one? The pix I found looks like there is only one adjustment point.
Thanks for checking on that handle, I was surprised it wasn't taken here. I'll try again, and I do like, faceplant. lol
Welcome!

I can tell from the picture that the engine will for sure run backwards. What ignition coil you do have? Dremel the opening will most likely decrease the dwell. Dwell seems small enough already. If you decrease the dwell you might be losing spark on high revs.
I would close the opening enough so the spark ended up clearly on ATDC side for reverse rotation. You can verify by turning the engine backwards and measure at what angle the spark fire.
Alternatively change to points. With points the engine can not run backwards
Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
Morning,
First, I'm not sure if this is a pic of my bike's ignition or not, hopefully gsxrdman can confirm, or maybe not as it's an old pix.
The coil is a XS performance (green) which from what I have read is 3.3 ohm.
When you read about Dyna S's ignition, in bold print they state, this will not run in reverse, lol.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 01:52:25 PM by rd4me »
1975 RD350

Offline tore

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
That is a dyna s ignition. I do not have such ignition. I asked the makers about the dwell figures for a couple of years back. The answer was that they have significantly higher dwell than a points ignition. That tells me the coils get fried and that those for sure are candidates to run backwards

Skickat från min Nokia XR20 via Tapatalk

Tore

Suzuki T20 1969
RD350B (Indonesia) 1975
BMW R1150GS Adv 2004
HVA Roulette 1957
NV 125 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline rd4me

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »
OOOOps, sorry. Yes, that's a dyna S. I only attached it to compare with the pix I posted in the post above.
1975 RD350

Offline Aardvark

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 07:49:40 PM »
Welcome to the club.

You can't beat having an old bike to enjoy. Although some times frustrating.

Aardvark

Offline GSXRDman

• fragster
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 07:43:50 AM »
Morning,
First, I'm not sure if this is a pic of my bike's ignition or not, hopefully gsxrdman can confirm, or maybe not as it's an old pix.

No Dyna S on that bike.  It should be the Allison (earlier XR700 version) or the later Crane Cams XR700.   I just can't remember what version is on the bike.  I believe i have the"box" on top of the airbox under the tank.   

I don't see Vintage Smoke listed as a vendor anymore on the 2SW site and haven't really been present there for a couple years.  Just started putting the RD400 motor back together.

Find a new "handle" and logon and start asking around on 2SW.