Author Topic: RD200 DX replacement pistons  (Read 633 times)

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
RD200 DX replacement pistons
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:08:06 PM »
Hi all,
I’m in the process of restoring my late father’s old RD200 DX that was stored in a shed for the best part of 40 years after an accident. I’ve stripped down the engine and am now considering changing the pistons since I’ve had an issue trying to remove the old set of rings which are stuck solid, and the carbon build up is proving stubborn to remove.

The bike itself was registered in 1977 with the chassis/engine serial number starting with 1E8. According to my parts list, I need pistons (I’ve measure the across the bore and it still looks within spec, so I think another set of standards will be fine) with a part no 1E8-11631-00-97 which I haven’t yet found. However, I’ve come across a pair of NOS RD200 pistons, including rings on the net, but these have the part no 397-11631-00-96.

Can anyone advise if the latter is compatible with my bike model? They look identical to what I have…

If not, I’ve seen a RD200 1977 STD piston on Yambits which I’ll keep as plan B. Was hoping to use original Yamaha parts if poss…

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Lee

Offline Phil Featherstone

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: RD200 DX replacement pistons
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:27:25 PM »
Hi the 1E8 piston runs rectangular type rings and the 397 runs a dykes top ring. you can run the 397 pistons with the dykes(L) ring but they are actually for the earlier 397 model.
PFP Phil
www.pfpservices.co.uk
RD200 2R7 Red NEW build 8years and counting collecting parts
RD200 2R7 Resto in progress
RD125 1976 project

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 10:49:21 PM »
Hi the 1E8 piston runs rectangular type rings and the 397 runs a dykes top ring. you can run the 397 pistons with the dykes(L) ring but they are actually for the earlier 397 model.
Ah- that now makes sense. For sake of replacing like for like, I’ll continue to search for the correct original part. From the pictures on Yambits, their offering look like the rectangular type so may consider those if no luck. Thanks Phil!

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 08:17:19 AM »
CMSNL might have one, there is one on ebay here in the UK and one on ebay.de.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:02:32 AM »
CMSNL might have one, there is one on ebay here in the UK and one on ebay.de.
I think that may be the one that I’ve just come across too. Will also take look at CMSNL and eBay.de. Thank you :-)

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »
maybe worth contacting govnors bridge , they seem to have a few nos bits around  https://www.govnorsbridgemc.com/
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
 Alexei Sayle

Offline AndyW

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »
The bike itself was registered in 1977 with the chassis/engine serial number starting with 1E8. According to my parts list, I need pistons (I’ve measure the across the bore and it still looks within spec, so I think another set of standards will be fine) with a part no 1E8-11631-00-97 which I haven’t yet found. However, I’ve come across a pair of NOS RD200 pistons, including rings on the net, but these have the part no 397-11631-00-96.

Please don't ignore the last two digits of the part number: you *may* end up installing pistons that are smaller than the old ones.
RD125A
CB400F2
FTR223
T140V
C15

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 09:42:01 PM »

Please don't ignore the last two digits of the part number: you *may* end up installing pistons that are smaller than the old ones.
Blimey- thanks for that heads-up Andy! I realising that I have to tread carefully on sourcing parts for such an old bike…

Much appreciated :-)

Offline NivagRD

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 04:44:28 PM »
I managed to buy genuine Yam ones from Kibisco in Germany (they sell through eBay). I have been lucky in buying the odd NOS piston (for my LS2) through Gov'nor's Bridge too. Gavin
1973 LS2, 1980 RD200DX, 2019 CB650R.

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 12:08:10 AM »
I managed to buy genuine Yam ones from Kibisco in Germany (they sell through eBay). I have been lucky in buying the odd NOS piston (for my LS2) through Gov'nor's Bridge too. Gavin
Thanks Gavin, I’ll l take a look… Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 12:43:08 AM »

I think it was Tony2Stroke who pointed out that you need to check single source pistons. Although they may have same part number, they are likely to have come from different batches. You need to weigh the pistons and check their individual weights are close to prevent an imbalance. What that tolerance is   :-X maybe your next question  ::)

Offline NivagRD

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
They need to be within one gram of each other. Metal can be taken off the inside of the heavier piston (carefully - leaving no stress raisers) to achieve this. Gavin
1973 LS2, 1980 RD200DX, 2019 CB650R.

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 11:11:33 AM »

I think it was Tony2Stroke who pointed out that you need to check single source pistons. Although they may have same part number, they are likely to have come from different batches. You need to weigh the pistons and check their individual weights are close to prevent an imbalance. What that tolerance is   :-X maybe your next question  ::)
Indeed. This is my first (and probably only) bike restore project and I’m quickly learning that there’s a lot more than meets the eye with the efforts! I really appreciate these snippets of info helping me up the learning curve. But that’s what makes it so interesting… :-)

Offline DeepThought

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 11:12:43 AM »
They need to be within one gram of each other. Metal can be taken off the inside of the heavier piston (carefully - leaving no stress raisers) to achieve this. Gavin
…and that answered my next question! ;-)