Author Topic: Registration Date  (Read 350 times)

Offline Tealman

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Registration Date
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:30:21 PM »
After one failed attempt I now have a logbook for my imported (West German) RD250C - it's insured and I am now enjoying the bike. However, I do have a small issue with the registration docs and wonder whether I can do anything about it - I have a dating certificate (provided by the club) which confirms that it was manufactured in 1976 but the original German documents indicate that it was first registered in 1978 and this is the date DVLA have used, accordingly it's on an 'S' plate. I would have preferred the registration documents to show 1976 rather than 1978!!

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Registration Date
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
Not that it helps (sorry), but if you were going to send in the original German docs, then you didn't need a dating certificate. If you hadn't sent in the original German docs, I reckon that you would have got a 1976 plate.

The Germans probably operate like we do here in the UK, where the DVLA default position is to allocate a plate based on date of first registration. For example, Gr8auntiepat's little Ford Fiesta is actually a 2009 model, but it was sitting around in a new car lot somewhere for a couple of years before it was sold, so it is actually on a 2011 plate.

A lot of the time, the US imports are given a plate for the year before a model was introduced, because Yamaha manufactured the frame (which is date stamped) the year before it was actually used.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Tealman

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:05:06 AM »
I may very well be wrong but I thought the original country registration documents had to be submitted, otherwise DVLA wouldn't register the bike ???

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »
I may very well be wrong but I thought the original country registration documents had to be submitted, otherwise DVLA wouldn't register the bike ???

Unfortunately for you, you were wrong.  I think this aspect is fairly well covered in the guides that Dawky has written. It is the usual basis of the DVLA system, original registration doc = the date of registration, if no original docs, then a certified estimate of production date is used.
In actual fact, it sounds like your bike is showing an accurate date of its first registration.
I don't think you could change what they have decided, as you supplied an original doc.

5port   
5port

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 08:10:53 AM »

Paul D would be the man to confirm this but, as I said, no dating letter would have been necessary if the original logbook was being submitted. I went about it this way for my own Danish import and no problems.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »
I had a 400c on a S reg plate back in 1982, so that bike would of also sat in a dealership for a couple of years before someone bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RD400c now on the road
RD250b/c/d/e/f project
FS1E project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3
CRF-250L

Offline murp

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
My 400c is s reg.....

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 05:41:24 PM »
After one failed attempt I now have a logbook for my imported (West German) RD250C - it's insured and I am now enjoying the bike. However, I do have a small issue with the registration docs and wonder whether I can do anything about it - I have a dating certificate (provided by the club) which confirms that it was manufactured in 1976 but the original German documents indicate that it was first registered in 1978 and this is the date DVLA have used, accordingly it's on an 'S' plate. I would have preferred the registration documents to show 1976 rather than 1978!!

Hasn't the world changed. Normally when we bought a bike we would want the youngest. But then you reach an age and want it to be the oldest classic.
Shame the same can't be said of us pensioners  :D. Guess we're not classic  :( :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:43:05 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 05:58:15 PM »

Hasn't the world changed. Normally when we bought a bike we would want the youngest. But then you reach an age and want it to be the oldest classic.
Shame the same can't be said of us pensioners  :D. Guess we're not classic  :( :(

The German translation sums me (us?) up - "Oldtimer"!  :o :( :D
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Tealman

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 09:51:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps - I'll do it differently next time. It's not that big an issue and certainly doesn't stop me riding and enjoying the bike :) :)