Author Topic: YCS CS3B build (swingarm & hardware)  (Read 72359 times)

Offline martin1957

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (UK-spec throttle cable?)
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
A surprising amount is available from Venhill. The catalog is a good read. I cut the inners out, get the adjuster bits re zinc plated, then reassemble with new wire. You can reuse the nipples. Throttle cables are easy, clutch and brake cable wires must be birdcaged for security. I made up the tools to do this.
Retired Electronic Test Engineer (Avionics), Age 64, Owned P50, PC50, SS50z, YAS1, YDS7, RD350B till 1978, then in 2009 a  KH400 A4 - now sold. Have a fully restored YAS1, an AT3, and now a Suzuki T125 Stinger.  A show winner.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: YCS CS3B build (leakdown test)
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
It's been a while (as usual!) but I'm back on the CS3...

Some of you may have read about the NIGHTMARE I had trying to do a leakdown test on my RD250C. Well I got there in the end but there isn't a kit available for the CS3 so I made up my own. I'm not sure that I'll divulge the spec of the bits used as I think I deserve to become rich for making a better one than I bought but as I find it hard to omit any detail from my posts that might not last long.

Yes. So I installed my kit, fully expecting there to be leaks as I've had the heads off and just loosely put them back on. After stemming the flow of air from a point I'd not considered (banjo bolts) I could see bubbles at the cylinder to crankcase joint and also at one of the carb-flange to barrel screws.

Strangely the thread is stripped here. I can't imagine why anyone would have had it off before but it's not a disaster as there is enough thread further down to put a longer bolt in.

LHS carb-flange to barrell joint. this thread good

not sure how this one was damaged. I've had engine 31 years and not touched it

There is no leak at the RHS crank seal and I can't tell at the LHS as can't get the rotor of. When I sort out the base gasket leak I can rule that out if it holds pressure.

Made a little video of the leak test but can only post it as a YouTube link. It's not that great anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG7uJGLXHbs

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:13:53 PM by Foy(notFox) »
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (UK-spec throttle cable)
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
another small update but it means a lot to me....

I've probably went on at length (on all my threads) about the shorter cables for UK etc. Well I've never came across an 20 suffix cables (either 174 or 237) for the YCS1/CS2E/CS3E range and have a one or two 00 ones but am always on the look-put for them.

So I see a USA seller on Ebay with loads of STD throttle cables and assume he's not listed them properly. So I apologise for being a pest and ask him to check the part-number tags to see if they are actually 00 or (more likely) 10.

He replies saying they are def 00 so I buy a couple for £50.70 all-in ($22.95 each, plus $20 shipping). I message him back saying I was surprised he had the 00 ones in USA and he explained he bought stock off a Canadian dealer and they apparently got European spec bikes - so there you go!  ;)

I had no idea about that but might be worth searching for parts from Canada if USA spec is not suitable for your project

Also didn't get hit with Customs charges which was great  ;D

I've still to (accurately) check the length. The only reference I have is in the (white) YCS1 parts list is says the STD cable should be 561L which is 561mm or 56.1cm. The (174) YCS1 cable would be a little different as it had different handlebar controls but the dimensions should be the same (as frame, handlebars and engine are same). I'm getting nearer 520L but depends where they measured from. The throttle cable includes an adjuster and curved noodle which may or may not be included  :-\

I think best option would be to compare it against the 10 throttle cable and see if the difference in length is consistent with the book. Book could be wrong too right enough  :D

STD throttle cable for CS2E/CS3E found in USA

237 26311 00

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »

Well that was a good find  :)
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2020, 11:44:53 PM »

Well that was a good find  :)

Cheers Motty. I'll prob shorten 1 to use with my flat bars  ;)

Btw... don't know if I mentioned it on here but you often ask about the Jag. I got the engine unseized. Was  piece of cake. Kicking myself now for sitting on the problem for about 7 years

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »

Btw... don't know if I mentioned it on here but you often ask about the Jag. I got the engine unseized. Was  piece of cake. Kicking myself now for sitting on the problem for about 7 years

Excellent news about sorting the seized engine. Did you soak it in diesel?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »

Excellent news about sorting the seized engine. Did you soak it in diesel?

It had been soaked in various things over the years but with the V formation you only reach part of the bores. When I got the ebgine out I soaked it each side for a day or two with (dirty) ATF from the car's box and on one side it drained away and those pistons all came out fine. On the other side it didn't drain away and 3 of them needed pressed out

V12 not ideal for soaking as you only reach part of the bore

old ATF did get past these rings when bores vertical

some pistons came out with their liners attached

piston being pressed from liner

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:45:30 PM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2020, 09:43:38 PM »
Wow that you had some seriously seized pistons in there. Are you reusing the liners that came out?

Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2020, 11:52:37 PM »
Wow that you had some seriously seized pistons in there. Are you reusing the liners that came out?

I hope so. everything is cleaning-up nicely. will glaze-bust the bores and get new rings and stick it all back together after/if I get the 5 broken head-studs out the block

preliminary cleaning of block and pistons

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (another frame & V5)
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »
So this could be quite a significant update and I'll no doubt be posting a lot more about it soon but, for now, I'll just give the basics and one pic....

My CS3 project is basically complete and I have the paper NOVA1 form to send off so I can start the registration process. I've done this before successfully with my RD250C so am confident it should be ok but when I saw the remains of a UK CS3E, with V5, come up on Ebay from pretty reasonable money I thought I better buy it just in case.

Actually when I saw it I thought there's no way I need that in my life so hopefully someone else will buy it immediately so I can forget all about it. It was only £295 and not that far way from me (Carlise in listing, Cumbria according to vendor)

Anyway no-one bought it so I did and after quite a bit of too-ing and fro-ing the lot arrived on a pallet last night for £81 (via Shiply).

It's all pretty rough and the frame number is pretty faint but it definitely matches the V5 - which I have, in my name, already  :)

I examined everything last night and got the seized swing-arm pivot out and have the following. I'm not 100% sure about the fork (L&R legs + triple-tree + top crowns) but I'm 99% that they are CS5E.

Someone has had a go at removing the stuck pivot/swing-arm in the past so there's no reason to believe it isn't a CS3 item but the metal exhaust-hanger plate that was on, under the shaft head, is definitely CS5 or RD200 era so it must've been out at some point.

The seller also seems to have forgotten to put the handlebars on the pallet. I should really remind him about that lol

• CS3 frame
  • DS7/R5 front wheel
  • CS3 rear wheel
  • YCS1 tank
  • YCS1 seatbase
  • CS5 forks
  • UK YCS1/CS3 front mudguard
  • very poor CS5 back mudguard
  • unknown rear shocks

So if my NOVA/registration process is successful I won't need any of it but if it fails I can use this frame and reg.

On the other hand I have probably got everything I need to build two. Only thing I can think of that I don't have is spare are CS3 fork bottoms and another front rim & spokes.

Anyway that'll do for now but I will post updates
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 10:35:44 AM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2022, 11:19:24 PM »
As if you don’t have enough projects on the go at the moment ¡
Richard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Yip.

That's true. This one was actually keeping me awake last night...  :'(

What does it need to make it complete?
Should I make it a YCS1 lookalike as I have tank and seat-base for that?
will I put the blue tins and flat bars on this?

Let's hope the NOVA etc go fine for the existing project so I can move this on tho someone else!

NB I just realised I didn't confirm (here) that all the seized studs came out the Jag block   ;D

quite a good YCS1 tank came with the CS3 remains

doesn't look so good with the YCS1C sidepanels fitted

2 of the 5 seized Jag head-studs finally out

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (parts from Japan)
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2022, 11:43:40 PM »
So I got a few parts for (probably) the V5'd remains I recently bought.

(used) Bits for the CS3 range seem to be getting expensive in the USA and then there's the ever-increasing shipping & import costs so I've been looking on sites in Japan.

The CS3 seems to be non-existent over there and even the YCS1 seems very rare but bizarrely the CS2E which is like Hens' Teeth everywhere else in the world seems to be more common there.

So I'm occasionally finding used parts listed under CS2E or even CS180E (as it was called there) and they tend to be very cheap but then there's the shipping and difficulty getting anything remotely 'dangerous' out of the country.

I go into all that in more detail on another long-running thread I have on the forum so for this thread I'll just talk about the parts I got. There is another parcel on the way with a swing-arm and lots of hardware.

It's a bit frustrating as the seller shows a picture of the full bike he is breaking that I got the parts from but he doesn't seem to be listing bigger bits off it - such as silencers, seat, mudguards. I don't think they'd ship silencers but you never know....

Everything cost £8 each but there are lots of additional charges. I'll add that on here once I've worked it out. The surface-mail parcel took took 10 weeks to arrive so I can't recall exactly how much it was  :-\

When the prices are as cheap as this the best approach really is how much can you squeeze in a box and you need to buy them all at the same time (I think) for From Japan to ship them all together.

For this reason I should have bought both the exhaust-pipes (headers?) but about the time I found the parts online I also found a spare on I bought years ago so (stupidly) decided just to buy the one I needed and save perhaps £10. Not having the old one to hand when I bid I guessed which one I needed (they look very similar) and of course when it arrived today I found I bought the side I already have  ::)

£8 for LH switch assy

not sure if black finish is original - to Japanese market perhaps

switch connections often differ from one country to another

£8 for pair of exhaust-to-barrel nuts/collars

£8 for exhaust pipe (header)

I already had one spare header c/w nuts/collars

turns out I bought the wrong side

So next time I post I should hopefully have received the bigger parcel

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (parts from Japan)
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2022, 09:12:33 PM »
I'm sure we have all been there, Graham, hopefully you will be able to sell on the additional header
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (swingarm & hardware)
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »
Woohoo. My larger box of pars finally arrived from Japan  ;D

I'm super-pleased about this as I thought it had went missing in the post and due to choosing the cheapest shipping with no tracking I'd only have had myself to blame.

Anyway. You can see on the label it was posted on the very last day of July and I got it 23rd of October so that's exactly 12 weeks. I'm not bothered how long it takes to come but it was great to see it finally here.

So the parts inside were the swingarm assy and a bag of hardware.

It might not look a great deal but from building my 1st CS3 from basically a frame upwards I can say that some small bits can take literally years to find and each one needs to be shipped individually. In this bundle I have there is the brake pedal spring which took me an eternity to find 1st time around and also the bracket for the horn and throttle-tube. I remember  a seasoned Yamaha restorer calling out on Ebay for one of these a while ago and eventually making something. There are also the support rings that attach the rear mudguard to the frame. Lots of useful OEM nuts & bolts and several panhead screws. These however are usually useless as the heads are mashed-up. I've not looked closely at them yet.

The swingarm itself looks fine despite being covered in oil but what I'm pleased about is that the torque-arm and bits for it are there.

First time round I didn't have any of this bits and searched for years for some special washer that was supposed to be there. I think I found one eventually and it's actually a big rubber thing but it's here on the new bits.

12 weeks to arrive surface-mail from Japan

usual impeccable packing

swingarm assy

bag of hardware

swingarm still has all fittings inc rubber 'washer'

bolts

washers

shock fittings

panheads

odds n sods

no idea

think the shortest ones are for front mudguard to fork-legs

possibly handlebar clamp

A - brake-pedal spring; B - horn/throttle clip; C - rear mudguard mounts
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 11:42:29 AM by Foy(notFox) »