Author Topic: Yamaha rd125 dx 1981 - stiff gear shifter  (Read 509 times)

Offline matwom

• Newcomer
Re: Yamaha rd125 dx 1981 - stiff gear shifter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Hi guys
Bin abit busy lately but manage to try the rd ticking over on stand in neutral and the rear wheel didn’t move at all so I think the clutch drag theory is out the window and it’s deffo something else ,, you guys got any more ideas ? Thank you

Online Johncb500

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
Is the gear change shaft bent?

Maybe binding in the pivot holes?

Is it better with the outer cover off?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong rider,laterly with Honda,now a little RD as well

Offline matwom

• Newcomer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
Hi mate
I haven’t tried it without the cover on but if the engine isn’t running it goes through the gears lovely and smooth and into neutral fine but as soon as I start the engine and nock it into first or second it just won’t go into neutral,, I’ll try it with the cover off tomorrow,, cheers mate

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »
Hi guys
Bin abit busy lately but manage to try the rd ticking over on stand in neutral and the rear wheel didn’t move at all so I think the clutch drag theory is out the window and it’s deffo something else ,, you guys got any more ideas ? Thank you

Clutch can be engaged or not, it makes little difference in Neutral, no gear is driving.  ;) 
Easy change to Neutral engine off but difficult engine running change from in gear to Neutral is classic clutch drag symptom.  Could be incorrect clutch adjustment, assembly error or wavy plate(s).  Also, engine running loads the clutch shaft with axial load so, that could effect if the clutch is loose, the main clutch bearing or locating circlip or groove are worn or, there is excessive clearance of some kind in the shaft when assembled.
Cheers

5port
5port