Author Topic: YCS CS3B build (very rusty wheels)  (Read 73113 times)

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (swingarm & hardware)
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »
Wow that is some haul!
Is this project still in the gathering stage, or is it being assembled as you go along?
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »
Christmas has come early for you, then!  :P

Soak the nuts and bolts in Evaporust for a day or two and you'll be pleasantly surprised how they clean up.  ;)

Have you been searching fleabay for parts? I've got some for the CS3 on there at the moment, including that rear brake spring. If you want, I'll message you with them.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »
Wow that is some haul!
Is this project still in the gathering stage, or is it being assembled as you go along?
Richard

I'm hoping to stick to my original plan which is to sell it on as an almost-complete project once I get my original one thru NOVA etc.

This 2nd one has a V5 but after so many years on the original project I would like to see that through to completion.

Just thought the more (cheap) bits I gather for it the more likely it will be to sell for a decent price. Just to break even sort of thing
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:25:54 PM by Foy(notFox) »
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2022, 01:33:25 PM »
Christmas has come early for you, then!  :P

Soak the nuts and bolts in Evaporust for a day or two and you'll be pleasantly surprised how they clean up.  ;)

Have you been searching fleabay for parts? I've got some for the CS3 on there at the moment, including that rear brake spring. If you want, I'll message you with them.

I had no idea that was you Gr8uncleal but yes I did see various bits popping up. I just fancied the parts from Japan as everything was £8. So the above was only £16 for everything but obv quite a bit of shipping involved.

I also am sort of testing the water to see what I can get from Japan. I have a pair of RD125 exhausts to arrange shipping for and if they come that will be pretty amazing.

You may see the swingarm was covered in oil and they aren't supposed to send anything which has a trace of oil or anything on it so things like engine parts and exhausts are often blocked.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (rims & more bits)
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2023, 07:14:54 PM »
Ok so I have some more (cheap) bits for the CS3 project(s)

Major purchase was two very good rims - from an RD200 I believe. They were only a fiver each (on Ebay).

The snag was the seller (understandably) didn't want to post them.

So, before bidding, I contacted the seller to ask if he would post them if I sent him a box and arranged the postage etc. I did this before (successfully) for a Hillman Imp silencer so thought it was worth asking.

He said it was fine so next thing was to try and work out how big a box to send  :-\

One of the rims still had a tyre on it and I asked if he would take that off, to make posting easier, but he was reluctant as he thought he'd damage the rim.

After a bit of Googling tyre sizes and guessing weight I made a box up which was just within the size-limits for Evri and sent it off to him. Also incuded a roll of gaffer-tape and bubble-wrap. It was £5.86 to send the 'empty' box.

It was between Christmas & New Year when he got the empty box and I was ill (for over 2 weeks) and not earning a penny but had to keep things moving along so I paid for & printed off the return-label and posted that to him. That was another £9.28

It all arrived a few days later and I sent the guy another £20 for the hassle (he had to drop it off at a local shop). I weighed the package when I got it and it was around 12kg which is good as I paid for below 15kg (that's the heaviest they'll carry).

Anyway I am really pleased with them. The chrome is in pretty great condition and will clean up nice. In the pics it looks weird due to the flash and indoor lighting. looks a lot better in real life.

Having a quick look at the rims I could feel a slight bit of damage to the lip of the one without the tyre. I'm guessing the guy realised he'd done that stripping the first wheel so with the second he just cut the spokes - presumably to get the hubs rebuilt with new rims and spokes. I may ask him....

I also checked before ordering that the CS3 rims are same size front and rear (which they are). I know the rims have a date-code on them (year digit followed by month letter) and these seems to be 1975/1976 but I'm not 100% sure on the the 3-digit (design?) code you always get on these Takasago rims after the date-code. From memory on all my other rims it's usually 101 or similar but one of these rims has 261 on it which doesn't look familiar. I can't see any difference in them side-by-side. It's mb something to do with the angle of the spoke-holes  :-\

You may ask what I'm using these for . Well many, many years ago when I got my CS3E project I decided I'd build a whole new bike from NOS parts. One of the first things I bought was NOS front & rear hubs (174). Years later I found good used wheels for the project so the NOS hubs never got built into wheels.

When I bought the V5'd CS3 remains last year there were 2 wheels with it. They are pretty rough but could still be used. However seeing these good rims on Ebay for such a low price now gives me more options.

All-in the rims have cost £45.14 (plus  tape and the cost of a stamp)

2 good used rims and a tyre for £10 (before postage etc)

chrome difficult to photograph at night indoors but they look good to me

1.6" x 18" March 1975 

1.6" x 18" August 1976

Pirelli Mandrake

100/90 18  about same as 3.25 or 3.50

NB before anyone offers helpful warnings about instant death using old tyres I am well aware of this  ;)

So that was very long-winded but I got a few more bits from Japan for the spare bike....

A few posts back I mentioned I bought the wrong side exhaust-pipe/header. Well I got its partner, from same seller. I also got the CS3 top-yoke and the handlebar clamp from him. Keep hoping he lists the silencers & forks  ::)

As usual everything was £8 so it cost £24 all-in and the shipping was shared with other parts (for my RD125 and AS3).

I break down all those costs on another thread https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=57179.0.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I'm going down the correct route getting all CS3 bits for the V5d bike. I'm getting really into the idea of making a sort of CS mongrel with it. That would be CS3 frame etc but with YCS1 tank and seat and a CS5 front-end. These are the parts I got and I really like the old YCS1 tank/seat combo so why not use them and the CS5 front end would look quite sharp. I think I'm going to have problems finding all the YCS1/CS3 fork components so might be better just to use the CS5 parts. I wasn't sure if the triple-trees etc would be interchangeable but I see that they use the same size oil-seals so the legs must be same diameter so putting CS5 legs into CS3 yoke should work or I could just use whole CS5 front-end.

Anyway it's food-for-thought and here are the rest of the pics

some more CS3 (CS2E) bits from Japan

the other side exhaust-pipe

top-yoke

handlebar-clamp and bolts

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:24:46 PM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: YCS CS3B build (very rusty wheels)
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2023, 11:17:00 PM »
Apologies in advance for what it is (probably) madness but her goes.

A few months back I posted about the remains of a UK CS3E I bought and the rusted junk other parts that were in with it.

I said I had a YCS1/CS3 (174) rear wheel, which is correct, and there was a DS7/R5 front wheel. Well this is incorrect. It's actually a CS5E/RD200 type.

I've posted elsewhere on the site asking questions about this but basically the wheels are identical even tho they are on different size-ranges of bike (ie under 200cc and over 200cc).

I'll call it the 246 wheel as that's what's in the hub but the brake-plate is 278/337 and the arms etc have various numbers.

So I said a while back I was thinking about making a 'CS mongrel' and now that I know the front wheel goes with the CS5 forks etc that I got it saves me hassle of selling the 'DS7' wheel and sourcing a CS5 one.

However the bit that is really interesting me is how bad a state the parts are in. For some bizarre reason I am getting really into the idea of cleaning them up and just using them as-is. It's a bit crazy when I have NOS hubs, good OEM spokes and the very good used rims I detailed in last post but I just fancy it.

I've soaked all the spoke nipples with ATF ages ago and they are starting to unloosen without much bother. I got the old tyre off the rear wheel at the weekend so can get more ATF on the heads now. The alloy is cleaning up fine and there are loads of cheap ways to clean up the chrome. This is a big thing with people restoring old bicycles.

The tyres are obv a no-no to re-use but someone obv loved them in the past picking out the letters in paint. Seems a very large tyre to use on rear of a CS3 tho (4.10 x 18)  ???

To compound the oddness of it all I'm still searching for bits for the earlier CS forks - so I will have all options. Also thinking of sending examples of original spokes away to get stainless replicas for the good rims.

Anyway here's some gruesome pics

example of a CS5/RD200 brake-plate, very similar to that used on DS7/R5 but this slot is thinner

a 337 plate may well have 278 still cast on it

a very rusty (174) YCS1/CS3 rear wheel

spoke-nipples are not seized

had to free this off before I could remove tyre & tube

non-original tube looks about right size for bike

but 4.10 tyre pushing it a little for a small bike

need to decipher this date-code

alloy parts will clean-up fine

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2023, 06:00:33 AM »
Wow those tyres must have come over with the ark

I will be intrigued how you get on with cleaning the chrome, it looks pretty rusty on the photos

Richard

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2023, 08:05:51 AM »
I have had great success soaking items in a product called Evaporust.

I've not used it on anything as large as wheels but, if I was to give it a go, I'd do it in stages - eg fill a three sided container with the Evaporust and stand the wheel in it, then rotate the wheel every 48 hours.
Yam RD200DX
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C
Yam RD350B
Yam RD350
Yam RT2
Yam DT360A
Suzi GT550J
Suzi 1250 Bandit
Yam RD125A
Yam R5
Yam DT3
Yam CT1C
Yam RD200B

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »
Cosmetic on the outside of the rims is one thing but "unless" they come up good on the inside where the inner tube sits, dump them. The surface if marginally rough, even with the rim tape, will wear the inner tube. Having a blowout is no fun on two wheels especially at speed.  :( :(.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:20:17 AM by Astute Greaser »