Author Topic: 1960s mallory park  (Read 274 times)

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
1960s mallory park
« on: December 23, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
My brother has found an old box of slides of motorcycle racing in his loft, as he used to take me with him he sent me this picture of a sidecar? or a three wheeled car that raced in the sidecar class, I do remember seeing this racing but can't find any information about it, can anyone shed any light onto it? He has got a load of slides which he is trying to put onto his computer, both solo's and sidecars, mainly from mallory park and oulton park including the post TT races which I really enjoyed. When he sends some more, I will post them if anyone is interested.

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: 1960s mallory park
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
Great photo! Scanning can eat a lot of time and memory, but can be quite rewarding.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Online tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »
You could try posting the photo on the Classic Sidecar racing site on Facebook. These outfits seemed to use Imp and Mini engines. Someone may know what or who it is. Great photo and looking forward to seeing more.

Offline fizzydog

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
Looks to me like it's Owen Greenwood  in his Greenwood Mini at Shaws Hairpin, Mallory Park.

https://youtu.be/ZpeCfkniFz0

Bikers check the weather in the morning to see if they're gonna ride. Motorcyclist only check the weather to see what were gonna wear.
RD250'D'         
HONDA CB700
TRIUMPH TIGER 800XRX
In the Heart of Cheshire.

Online tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
Good call. Amazing what can be found out these days. Well done.

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 11:27:29 AM »
A big thank you fizzydog, I think you've nailed it. I do remember that there was some controversy over weather this was a car or side car, some said they were trikes but a trike can't have four wheels. I know they never lasted long but, was that down to rules or just the fact that they were not as good as the traditional side car?

Offline fizzydog

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
 Rob the Greenwood Mini was quite successful at national level before it got banned in 1966 or a bit later?
Also IIRC it contravened race regulations for 3 wheel machines (sidecars) by having 4 wheels and some where saying it wasn't a sidecar with its configuration of 2 wheels at the front.

HTH it was a long time ago.

PS.... When you have time post some more if you don't know who/where they were taken.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 02:53:14 PM by fizzydog »
Bikers check the weather in the morning to see if they're gonna ride. Motorcyclist only check the weather to see what were gonna wear.
RD250'D'         
HONDA CB700
TRIUMPH TIGER 800XRX

Online tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »
I believe some of these machines are still raced today.

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. It's not that long ago, LOL, I remember it well. I also remember at the same hairpin, I think the following year, the late and grate Fritz Scheidegger lost his life to a mechanical problem or something making it impossible for him to slow down and he hit the barriers, fortunately his passenger survived but I don't think he raced again, I couldn't sleep without seeing it in my dreams for weeks, it was terrible to see, but bad things happened then and happen now I'm just glad I'm here to remember and glad you are all here to read this post. Wishing you all good health and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Offline fizzydog

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 08:38:02 PM »
I believe some of these machines are still raced today.

I'd love to see one raced again in anger.
Do you know which club event it was raced in or was it a one off event?
RD250'D'         
HONDA CB700
TRIUMPH TIGER 800XRX

Online tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 08:54:33 PM »
I am pretty sure my boss raced in classic sidecar events in the 1990's, and I'm sure a few of these machines were raced. When I get back to work I will ask him. I think he has a mate that was wanting to restore and race one, but can't remember what it was called.