Author Topic: Rotten Balance Line  (Read 221 times)

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Rotten Balance Line
« on: July 23, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
So last night with all the windows and doors open to get a breeze through the house.
Sudden over powering smell of petrol. Son rushes down the stairs past me saying bike and turned on the garage lights before I could stop him  :o :o. We were lucky :) :)
The balance line on Goldie had given up the ghost. Its fitted with a splitter, so moles clamped on leaking side and popped the splitter. Unfortunately I had been out on the bike couple days back and refilled. 3 gallons swimming on the floor  >:(
So this morning took tank off and found this.
100220-0
And just to piss me off, disconnecting the fuel lines from tap, out came a stub.
100222-1
So line has been fitted about 2 years. Not something Ive checked regularly, but looks like we all should. If the line had gone while riding I might have been BBQ  :-X. Especially as the line passes directly above the spark plugs.
Any suggestions on refitting the stub. Feels like it will be tight push fit and can get a clamp to push back in.
-Mike

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Rotten Balance Line
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
Oops!  :o

That is shocking condition for a two year old piece of pipe - unless, of course, it had been sitting on someone's windowsill for the previous twenty years!

I guess popping the brass stub in the freezer overnight might help with refitting it.

As an aside, and I think that it's been discussed previously, there's probably no reason why you can't do away with the balancing hose, so long as you can effectively seal up the two brass jobbies.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »
Oops!  :o

That is shocking condition for a two year old piece of pipe - unless, of course, it had been sitting on someone's windowsill for the previous twenty years!

I guess popping the brass stub in the freezer overnight might help with refitting it.

As an aside, and I think that it's been discussed previously, there's probably no reason why you can't do away with the balancing hose, so long as you can effectively seal up the two brass jobbies.

Yes shocking!
Hose replaced & stub in freezer  ;D Will apply dot of thread sealant before pushing home.

Your aside. Disagree that's not right on the round tanks  ???. You loose between 45/50 mm of level from the RH side, which affects the reserve volume. Probably loose as much as a pint, unless you lean over to the tap. Not very convenient.
100224-0

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »
Ah yes, I see (I think!).  ::)
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400C slowly getting back to standard
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125(A?) in the kitchen being reassembled
Yam RD250E just started
Yam DT3 just in

Online pidjones

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
I had a nipple pull out of a carb. Tapped it back in (lightly) and it was leak-tight.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
I had a nipple pull out of a carb. Tapped it back in (lightly) and it was leak-tight.

Me too, both ends, tap and carb, just tapped them back in with a screwdriver handle.

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »
I roughened surface of stub gently with coarse emery and then put in freezer for two hours.
With tank upside down, I put the stub into tap hole, with dob of locktite 511 thread sealer around base. Coin on top to protect stub and squeezed in using Waterpump Pliers.
Of course when I pushed carb hose back on I forgot the blo*dy hose clamp  :-[ :-[. Typical huh. Job must have been good as stub stayed in when I pulled hose back off  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:49:56 AM by Astute Greaser »