Tech Zone > Skill centre

Unwarp a carb flange

(1/1)

tore:
I have for ages filed warped carb flanges flat. That makes them thin and subject for yet another warp.
Figured that you can just hit the flange with a finishing hammer. It will unwarp with a few blows.
You should not hit hard! It is the powerwave through the zinc alloy you need. So a few distinct hits close to the warping and it will return to the original shape.

betty foRD:
I always like to add some heat ( not too much) to alloy parts before attempting to bend backwards. Nothing worse than going from bent to two pieces !
Barrel fins are a good example, easy to straiten if you use heat to take out stress but so easy to break off if you don’t

tore:

--- Quote from: betty foRD on June 16, 2021, 02:10:49 PM ---I always like to add some heat ( not too much) to alloy parts before attempting to bend backwards. Nothing worse than going from bent to two pieces !
Barrel fins are a good example, easy to straiten if you use heat to take out stress but so easy to break off if you don’t

--- End quote ---
heat and bend of aluminium (and most other white metals) with alloys are not recommended. Those are chrystaline and needs a nice hit with a hammer. You should get a powerwave through the material so the chrystals get "in order". Opposed from other metals where you can heat and bend into shape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version