Author Topic: Bultaco trials bike  (Read 340 times)

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Bultaco trials bike
« on: November 03, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
A friend of mine has a bultaco trials bike, he got it in the mid 70's and was told it was original and a rare 1972 Bultaco Sherpa limited edition, he took the sellers word as he wanted to do some trials riding and Bultaco was a big name at the time. He brought it round to me to tart it up for him so I contacted Pete at inmotion trials for some parts and he informed me it was not original but a Bultaco Alpina frame with a Sherpa motor. I did some more checking and found the chassis number on the logbook didn't match the number on the frame so the reg was no good to him. He was gutted and said that back in his youth he was more interested in riding his new bike rather than checking numbers. He is a really good friend so I decided to do a good job on tarting it up, this is what I have done up to date.

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Bultaco trials bike
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 11:22:21 AM »
Some more photo's

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 12:22:37 PM »
Lovely bikes, a while ago I had a 325 Sherpa, it was always a pleasure to ride that bike
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 08:59:21 AM »
Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. I too had a dabble at trials riding in the late 60s early 70s, I was never brilliant but enjoyed every minute. I had a suzuki mclaren, quite a rare bike nowadays, I wish I still had it, it was a light easy to handle bike and I used to practise wheelies more than skill riding, in the end I could stay on the back wheel as long as I wanted.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »
I was totally useless at trials as well, but I always enjoyed the day paddling like mad through the difficult sections.
If you have time, it would be nice to see some additional photos as the rebuild continues.

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 05:57:57 PM »
Hi Richard, some more photo's for you and anyone else interested.

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 04:57:28 PM »
Hi all, some more photo's to show progress. It's going quite slow now as my workshop is freezing but working on the rear wheel kept me warm.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:36:34 PM »
I've just dug into the photo album and found a couple of photos of my old Bultaco. I guess I owned him for twenty years, but I had to sell him in 2006 when we moved to a house with a small garage
Richard

Terry Pratchett

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 08:58:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing photo's Richard, I can imagine you dabbing your way through sections on that, brings back memories of chatting / bragging to your mates in the pub after finishing, or trying to finish a good trial.