Author Topic: New owner needs help with points cleaning.  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Cocoablini

• Back Lane Scratcher
Re: New owner needs help with points cleaning.
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »
I mean turn key to ON, kill switch to RUN and then kick it over for spark. One spark of mine didn't fire off because the point was grounding out. You have to look at it with a magnifying glass to make sure your point actually opened or closed. Clean with carb cleaner on paper and close point and drag the paper out. Should have a lot of resistance

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2022, 05:24:38 PM »
If you are just trying to check for a spark, any good spark plug will do… you are only going to rest it against the fins…
In fact you don’t even need a spark plug, the lead will throw a spark on to a fin directly if you have it anywhere close to it..

The bottom line is you’re whole ignition system looks very dirty and corroded. That is almost certainly going to mean there low resistance leakage paths that will render it in operative..

These bikes are just an typical example of ‘old school low tech’ auto engineering… no computer required… BUT… if you are really not comfortable and clued up on how a typical points ignition system works then maybe best to read some type of beginners  guide … then return to this particular engine..

This how my coils are connected, is this right? do I need to switch something out? The coil which has white sticker with "1" is left coil.

Pidjones wiring diagram shows the left coil should have grey wire, Right should have orange which your picture shows reversed  ::). When you look at points face on, check the LH points has grey which goes to LH coils and right orange. Otherwise, your timing is 180 deg out. However, you should still get spark  ???

PS
Checking my 200 the colours are as you presently have. Can anyone confirm if the wiring diagram is in error! However, if you do the colour check at the points as above that will be definitive
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 07:14:42 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline pidjones

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »
Not my diagram, just linked from this site. And, you are correct AG, this error was noted in a forum post earlier this year.
"Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Offline redlining

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2022, 06:44:11 PM »
I mean turn key to ON, kill switch to RUN and then kick it over for spark. One spark of mine didn't fire off because the point was grounding out. You have to look at it with a magnifying glass to make sure your point actually opened or closed. Clean with carb cleaner on paper and close point and drag the paper out. Should have a lot of resistance

I shine my headlamp at a certain angle from the side of the points to make sure they are contacting. Otherwise you are right very easy to be fooled by just looking at it.
Both my Ignition has to be at first position and kill switch to run for me to get voltage at points.

Offline redlining

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2022, 06:46:01 PM »
If you are just trying to check for a spark, any good spark plug will do… you are only going to rest it against the fins…
In fact you don’t even need a spark plug, the lead will throw a spark on to a fin directly if you have it anywhere close to it..

The bottom line is you’re whole ignition system looks very dirty and corroded. That is almost certainly going to mean there low resistance leakage paths that will render it in operative..

These bikes are just an typical example of ‘old school low tech’ auto engineering… no computer required… BUT… if you are really not comfortable and clued up on how a typical points ignition system works then maybe best to read some type of beginners  guide … then return to this particular engine..

This how my coils are connected, is this right? do I need to switch something out? The coil which has white sticker with "1" is left coil.

Pidjones wiring diagram shows the left coil should have grey wire, Right should have orange which your picture shows reversed  ::). When you look at points face on, check the LH points has grey which goes to LH coils and right orange. Otherwise, your timing is 180 deg out. However, you should still get spark  ???

PS
Checking my 200 the colours are as you presently have. Can anyone confirm if the wiring diagram is in error! However, if you do the colour check at the points as above that will be definitive
Facing points the orange is connected to left point and grey to the right point.

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2022, 07:10:17 PM »
Sorry for red herring but now you're certain that bit of wiring right. Lesson even Yamaha manuals can be wrong  ::)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:11:53 PM by Astute Greaser »