Author Topic: RD 400 Racing  (Read 12211 times)

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
RD 400 Racing
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My name is Edward and I currently race in the BSA Bantam with the VMCC. The VMCC have an air cooled 500cc Japanese class and one of my friends has been competing on a Suzuki GT500 and having loads of fun so I throught I would really like to compete on an RD400.

I have spent all winter reading up on RD's and I have managed to lay my hands on a frame and an engine with a view to beeing out on track for the 2017 season. I dont have any questions really (yet) but if anyone has any pointers / pitfalls i would really like to hear about them. I am just collecting parts together at the moment so any help on which bits to go for is really appreciated.

Thanks for your time Edward

Offline 2r9

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD 400 Racing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Hi Edward

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of racer are you going to build? Are you going the pretty, or practical route?

Just curious.

Gary.

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
Hi Gary thanks for the welcome

Dont really care what it looks like so long as it handels well and is fast. i fall off too much to spend money on making them look pritty lol. I was planning on going quite standard really, normal shocks well setup, normal swing arm, i think wire wheels with alloy rims are going to be lighter than alloy wheels but i need to research that.

I will need some help with porting but i will make up my own pipes. I suppose keep it simple until your raceing then make little improvments.

Offline keith rdc

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi Edward, I race a 250 with the CRMC, I was going to race a 400 in the PC 750 class but you end up racing against TZ350's and the PC250 class has a more even grid of 2ts
The other reason was 250 parts are easier to find and a lot cheaper.
If you think a 250 would be a little flat compared to a 400 mine is putting out over 50hp on the rear wheel. (Mick Abbey tune and pipes)

You will need to lose the RD front caliper for an AP Lockheed and a larger disc, also I have fitted a pair of Falcon rear shocks,
I look forward to seeing some photos as you progress with it :-)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:17:34 AM by keith rdc »

Offline 2r9

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
Wire wheels are about 20% lighter than alloys as standard, but represent poor value for money if they need rebuilding.  Central Wheel tell me that their SS rims are now lighter than chromed mild steel, and flex much less than alloy rims.

You build your own pipes? Tell us more.

Gary.

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
Hi everyone throught I would give you all a bit of an update! Been busy with the other bike getting ready for Malloy next week end. I have now got all but a few of my parts together for the build. Forks & yoke from the 79 Daytona model, good frame and a good 76 engine.

I have ordered a high ratio 1st gear from Ellis Moore to help keep the front wheel on the ground and as soon as it arives i will get the gearbox in the cases and rebuild the bottom end ready to have somone better tham me look at the top end!

Frame has been de-lugged and i am just trying to make up my mind about swing arms, i would like to use a longer arm maybe an inch or so and i was hoping to get an aftermarket on but I cant find anything in the Uk. Any ideas anyone?

Oh just one other question, forks, i need to rebuild mine, i have read loads about adding 2p and other things has anyone got any current advice on bilding forks up for racing?

Fingers crossed on track for 2017, thanks everyone for your time

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
To be honest I can't actualy, i was just told it was a good sensibly priced mod. Have a chat with Ellis at Moors Performance Engineering. I just know you only need to change the first gear sprocket not the oposing shaft, result!

Offline kaptainkaos

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
Hi Ed!  Can you say what the teeth number is on the raised first gear?  Cheers

Mine is 33T, also from Ellis Moore.
"A gentleman does not motor out after dark." - Sir Joseph Lucas (The Prince Of Darkness) 1842-1903

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »
Anyone got any ideas regarding forks for racing, 34 or 35mm, race teck emulators, someone mentioned YSS emulators at mallory park at the weekend? Progressive springs, someone in the states is selling fork caps with pre-load adjusters.

So many options just looking for so advice on a good basic setup to get me started on the track?

Thanks for your time everyone

Offline tripodtiger

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 07:44:37 AM »
I put Gold Valve emulators and single rate springs in mine.  You'll need a preload spacer, I presume. You'll need to have someone supply the bits for your racing weight.  That info should include the base setting for the emulator and the length of the total length of the preload spacer & washers.  With mine, the fork caps had been altered so I had to do the arithmetic to cut the spacer tube to correct length.

When I rode it the first thing I noticed was that I didn't notice the bumps.  Reckon that was a success.
cheers rayb

contact me for inclusion on the
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

Offline andy_g

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »
If you have 35mm forks then put cartridges in them. I've got them fitted as do the majority of the team.

Offline Edward Irving

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 11:57:09 PM »
Hi everyone it’s been a long time since I began this thread with an aspiration to build and race an RD 400. Well Fast forward and I have a bike which i built its a 1977 RD400 with a TZ 350 gearbox and air cooled clutch, Yam DT175 pistons, 350 YPVS reeds, 34mm mikuni TZ750 carbs.

Truth is I have had the bike built up for a while raced a bit with the BHR. Fantastic to ride pulled like a tank but it’s been quite unreliable, lots of seizures . I have to put most of the blame at my own feet rather than anything else, let’s just say I have learned a lot about setting up RD’s property.

I have a question I want to use a zeeltronic programmable ignition. I wonder if anyone supplies a rotor and pickups which are light, for racing and compatible.

Hope your all well

Edward