Author Topic: Yamaha RD250. The Model Guide  (Read 154561 times)

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
Yamaha RD250. The Model Guide
« on: November 04, 2005, 12:22:53 PM »
The Basic Yamaha RD250 Model Guide  

This is a list of the models thru the 250cc range to the best of my knowledge. This list is UK based. Overseas models details may vary.

The Apprentice RD, the Yamaha YDS7 from 1971/72

1973. The Yamaha RD250.

In Butterfly Blue, there is a lot of debate as to this being a plain RD250 or was it the first "A". Personally I sway to the plain RD250. Some of the very first RD250"s had the front drum brake fitted.

1974. The Yamaha RD250A.

Now this is the "A" model, its in Brigade Blue. As you can see I had one of these at 17. The 250"s had 5 gears on the road but actually 6 in the gearbox. You could remove a blanking plate to get the extra gear.

1975. The Yamaha RD250B.

1976. The Yamaha RD250C.

The coffin tank shape, which was rather radical at the time. The RD250C never had cast wheels with a rear drum brake. Bikes seen, for sale, with them fitted described as original have aftermarket wheels.

1977. The Yamaha RD250D.

This is Mervins bike. Mervin adds "wire wheels with rear disc was standard, alloys where a ?20 optional extra on the 250, when i got mine the dealer had one silver one and one blue one left both had wire wheels, he was waiting on the E,s coming in at the time but that was a price jump of about ?50/60 I think"

Oh Dear Where did it all go wrong. Yamahas first 4-stroke 250 appeared about now as well. The XS250, sorry the styling just does nothing for me.....

There does not seem to be an enthusiasm for them so they do not command big money. Bring one to our club rally and you just may have the rarest bike there!!

1978 on wards. The Yamaha RD250E/F

Both models were similar but now fitted with electronic ignition. The wheels can also be painted red. Brake and clutch levers are dog leg shape on the F model.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 1976 Yamaha RD250C.

As produced in Germany with wire wheels and rear disc brake. The colour is grey, they also came in Blue and Black variations. The wire wheels weigh less than the mags but tend to be rare to find.

--  Articles always needed

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:09:11 PM »
Wot you see above is just a basic guide there are many variations around the world. I will try to add more of the model colours and numbers when I can. If you have any information and details to add then please do so below and I will see wot I can do to add to the listing. If you are new and have a question then please ask via the "tech section" or try the forum "search". Many questions repeat so your answer may already be there. If not or No luck then please ask

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:36:43 PM by SupeRDel »

Offline tripodtiger

• Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:28:32 PM »
I have people continually telling me that my "73 RD250 is not an RD, since they never came with a front tls drum.AngryAs far as the Australian market is concerned, the RD250 was released in late "72 as a "73 model.The RD250A came out during "73, fitted with the front disc.

cheers rayb

contact me for inclusion on the
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 04:26:15 PM »
Some very first RD250 had a drum fitted. They appeared in the UK later than everywhere else. We never had the drum bike here.

writebike

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
the drum brake model was launched during a wrangle over the design of the Yamaha brake caliper which prevented the design from being made available in the US and the pacific area eventually a deal was struck allowing the design to be used and thats when the RD got a disc outside of Europe

Offline [Chippy]

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:53:30 AM »
I have an Aussie 1980 model RD250G has CDI ignition but has Tank,Seat and sidecovers like a US Daytona and also has a One piece Ram air Head. Not a lot sold over here in Aus everyone was waiting for LC"s to come out.

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
correct

cookeye

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »
SupeRDel, i havent got my rd250 home yet but i am trying to work out just what i have got? its an R reg 250 but it has cast wheels with a drum rear brake, is it an odd one as i can"t find any pictures of one the same.

Mick.

p/s its a coffin tank

JUST FOUND THIS

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »
Its a bit of a hybrid bike. The RD250 nver had cast wheels. In fact, all RD250/400 wheels with cast wheels have a rear disc.  But you could get after market drum wheels for them. However - Those do look like Yamaha cast wheels. Probably "borrowed" from a XS250. Early XS250 wheels had rear discs but I have a brochure from 1980 that shows a drum rear brake and they look the same as yours

cookeye

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »
Hi, i just got my rd 250 home and the frame and engine no starts 1a2, i keep seeing rd c d e etc etc what have i got?

I will post up some pictures tonight but it aint a prety sight

mick.

Guests

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »
  Mine"s 1A2-222*** and from what I"ve read on the site it would appear to be an E...

Cheers

Stephen

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:34 AM »
Biggest differance between a D and a E which cannot be hidden is the footrest mounts.

A C and D will have the hooped one piece bolted below the frame.

An E model has footrests bolted to the sides of the frame.

writebike

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:23:29 AM »
this is a real parts bin special

XS back end, RD E front end, maybe an E frame but on a P plate??

spooker

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
Hi... sort of new here!  I"ve just picked up a couple of new RD basket cases.  One is a wire wheel 400c the other a wire wheel rd 250c with a drum rear brake, such as the earlier models, though the swing arm length is correct at C specs... i.e.: approx I" longer than the older bikes.  

So I guess the question is this, the RD250c (2-76 in Australian compliance) in some cases was delivered with a drum rear spoke wheel, and I guess front spoke disc?  And yes it is the square tank type.  Cheers!

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 03:02:15 AM »
All the RD250C"s of 1976 had spoked wheels with a rear drum and front disc (see photo above of the blue bike on the gravel drive).

The early RD400C of 1976 came with wire wheels with disc brakes front and rear - however there was an option to have alloy wheels at an extra cost. Nearly all 400"s were sold with the alloys, they also had disc"s both front and rear. The 400 never had a rear drum!

The 400 wire wheels with rear disc tend to be quite rare and sought after.

Got any photos?