Author Topic: Overspraying tank lacquer  (Read 235 times)

Offline martin1957

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Overspraying tank lacquer
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »
This is not one for the purist and rivet counters................

I have an AT3 with an original blue metallic tank. Its had petrol spilt down it and the lacquer has dulled in a run area 2" wide down the tank.

Otherwise the tank is passable at 1 metre.

Could I flat off the lacquer all over and get it re laquered. Would it look reasonable?

Anyone done this?
Retired Widowed Electronic Test Engineer (Avionics), Age 62, Owned P50, PC50, SS50z, YAS1, YDS7, RD350B till 1978, then KH400 from 2009 onwards. Have a fully restored YAS1 on the road, and an AT3. And now a Suzuki T125 Stinger to get fired up, with another Stinger in boxes....

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
Re: Overspraying tank lacquer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
In a way..   I painted my RD tank and used so called petrol resistant lacquer to finish.  I didn't fit the tank for well over two months yet a slight drip ran down the tank and left a line where it had removed the lacquer. Having spent a lot of time on the tank and decals plus the stress of putting them on I complained to the company who made the lacquer and they put me on to their tech guy who just happened to do bike paintwork as well as a business. Long story short... sent him the tank and he checked it out (BTW he said it was the best rattle can paint job he had seen!!!) and ended up 2k lacquering it for free and sending it back to me all F.O.C. Not sure what he did but he must have done as you are intending as the tank had the decals on it and it came back absolutely pristine and has been fine since (still don't get petrol on it tho!!)
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
Depends what paint is on it now and what paint you are going to spray over it, cellulose and acrylic don't mix, they react and curl the paint up, just like paint stripper, if it is original paint, I would guess its cellulose, you can buy cellulose paint still for home use, just don't mix them.

best try a patch underneath the tank first, just in case of a reaction.

Same problem with the decals too, but I can't remember which paint reacts with them sorry.

May be worth trying rubbing over the affected area with a fine scotchbright pad, and then T-cut or similar, even Autosol.

but again try underneath tank first to see how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:31:53 PM by tony2stroke »

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »
Don't think anyone uses cellulose now even though RS paints still sell it. My tank was lacquered in 1k acrylic petrol resistant lacquer from HB bodyworks and was then over painted with 2K lacquer like they 2K cars with. Think 2K will go over most things but again you need a paint expert to verify this
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline martin1957

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »
Its all original. Thats why I just wanted to overspray it.....
Retired Widowed Electronic Test Engineer (Avionics), Age 62, Owned P50, PC50, SS50z, YAS1, YDS7, RD350B till 1978, then KH400 from 2009 onwards. Have a fully restored YAS1 on the road, and an AT3. And now a Suzuki T125 Stinger to get fired up, with another Stinger in boxes....

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
Don't think anyone uses cellulose now even though RS paints still sell it. My tank was lacquered in 1k acrylic petrol resistant lacquer from HB bodyworks and was then over painted with 2K lacquer like they 2K cars with. Think 2K will go over most things but again you need a paint expert to verify this

Both acrylic mate, so no troubles.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »
Its all original. Thats why I just wanted to overspray it.....

As its original paint I would say its cellulose, try some underneath the tank to see if it reacts, plenty of cellulose paint on ebay.

But try fine scotchbright pad again available on ebay and t-cut or even Autosol, as both are slightly abrasive as opposed to cutting compounds that are more abrasive.

T-cut is about the least abrasive I have found, followed by Autosol.

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
Cant see a problem putting on new lacquer only as stated doing a test to make sure you dont get a reaction in my experience the only way to go with modern fuel is a 2k lacquer but this is quite poisonous stuff so best to get someone to apply it for you unless you have an air fed mask.