Author Topic: My New Little 125 Prospector  (Read 786 times)

Offline davegsx

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: My New Little 125 Prospector
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »
why back in my early days i used to race a TS . It was raced tuned and had a very narrow power band, made for an interesting ride
I could agree with you then we would both be wrong

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
Wow, look at you! Roger Decoster!

I think he was the big Zuki rider back in the day. If so, I pulled that tidbit of trivia out of a hazy, foggy (mmmm smokey) memory bank. :D

Offline davegsx

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »
he was, and a great rider. Don't run the TS on pre mix, it will reck the engine, it needs the oil pump working to oil the lower bearings.

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
I’m glad you said that Dave, I noticed the 2 oil lines but didn’t give it another thought.
It's looking like I may need to crack open the cases if I can’t find any other source for the leak, bearings may be on the menu. Thanks for the FSM, just what I needed.

Mike

Offline davegsx

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 01:23:26 AM »
Hi all! I hope everyone is well today as we both are. Things have been a little strange and curious here in my little corner of the world if you haven't heard (J/K, it's a bit surreal seeing what started in Minneapolis go world wide... nuff said).

ANYHOO! The good news is I can still afford to not be working at least for the time being which means I've been able to give my new little Suzi some proper lovin'.

As Davegsx pointed out don't run on premix! The PO ran the engine on premix until it quit running, ask me how I know..... Splitting the case open revealed nothing was not in bad shape at all except for the right side crank seal was cooked well done until complete failure. The bearing on that side gets oil from the primary. It must not have taken too long to cook because the crank and big end bearings were still in useable condition. The gears, shifters and the dual range showed little wear as well!

After a little cleaning, sourcing new gaskets, seals and other various and sundry parts that were either worn or missing, a quick cylinder hone and the engine is almost back together passing a leak down test today with flying colors!

Thanks to Dave, whom I've been in contact with for providing some valuable and needed information! Hands across the water, right! :D :D :D

I'll post some photos when I get it back running.

It sounds like the UK is allowing some more freedom to get out and ride, now have fun and stay safe!
Cheers from the USA

Mike

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 04:33:50 AM »
Update:
I (finally) got got her all back together a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I couldn't get a spark. The coil impedance tested high out of spec, no biggie. The interface of the magneto in the TC engine and the TS frame had some issues according to my wiring diagrams and being a 6V system (I'm hoping to make it street legal) I decided to change out the ignition system with something more modern.

Saturday I decided was a good time to fire it up, she popped right over. I put a little 50:1 premix in my auxiliary tank because I needed to check the oil pump, I figure too much oil is better than not enough, the pump seems to be working correctly  ;) The carbs bowl gasket however leaks like a sieve.

Today (Sunday) I decided to put the tank on and go for a spin around the property  :D
Then tragedy hit!

93126-0
I guess I don't know my own strength!

93128-1
The kicker was already "fixed" once with a small weld that looked more like a nose bugger than weldment. I ground it down and attempted to do a "nicer" looking weld but that area was already worn, out of round and not a whole lotta metal. It broke in another place but my weld broke as well..........

I'm not finding a used one anywhere and the new one goes for like $200.00  :o

Curses, foiled again!

Mike

Oh yah, she rode out good prior to my setback!  :D

Offline davegsx

• Club Member
  • Newcomer

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:13 PM »
I've looked at similar, It has the wrong splines for the kick shaft.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/26300-28303?ref=7137b2e359a1e162806fe5d957587256d13586e5

Ouch!
I've looked at others that fit the shaft correctly but are straight, I need the offset to clear the exhaust pipe.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:40:40 PM by Grey Duck »

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
CMSNL in Holland have one a fair bit cheaper (about 150 euros), but you might get hammered on post and/or taxes.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
I found a parts bike about 100 miles away for $250 with a kick starter. I'm not sure I'm up for the hassle of parting out everything else though.

93154-0

This may be the answer.... 200 miles of freeway... :-[
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:03:01 PM by Grey Duck »

Online Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
I found a parts bike about 100 miles away for $250 with a kick starter. I'm not sure I'm up for the hassle of parting out everything else though.

(Attachment Link)

Either ask the seller if he'll take off the kick start for you, or buy the whole bike and sell it on minus the kick start. Does it have title?

If you haven't done so already, see if there's a relevant forum for those bikes that you can view as a guest and see if the kick start is a known weak spot. If it is, then you might have the same problem on any used part that you buy.
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • I <3 patina
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »
No title, says it has a new carb and should run..... It's craigslist so.... buyer beware.

200 miles of freeway without knowing the real condition of the kicker. I think I'm going to reach out to him, I have friends in the area as well but I'm not sure I'd trust they're eyes on whether its serviceable or not.